Author Topic: Shoe Polish vs Vinyl Dressing  (Read 1258 times)

Shoe Polish vs Vinyl Dressing
« on: June 19, 2005, 06:57:22 AM »
My truck has what is called a "black-out" package.  Fancy marketing for the black fender well protectors, the black spoiler, black bumpers.

Granted being a Southern Boy and all, I don't mind them being gray instead of black.  Partly because I hate the Various Vinyl dressings folks put on tires and stuff like this.  I mean dressings attract dust, look way too shiney, does not last, and I got better things to do than apply that stuff only to see if come off.

It is a truck, supposed to be dusty, dirty and such, I bought it to drive - not gawk at.

Now trucks attract a lot of stuff in the beds, I guess some folks see these as trash cans. I find cans, fast food sacks, and whatnot  back there.

Now this is June. Back on a weird warm January day I get out of class and I have a tin can of Black Shoe Polish in the bed of my truck. "Huh ?" Looking at my white tennis shoes I think " what am I going to do with Black Shoe Polish?  My leather shoes are cordovan, my 30 y/o Danners are brown, my LL Bean rubber and leather boots..."

" I wonder" as I dodge the orange barrels trying to get back home...

Yep!  I used the Black Shoe Polish on my Blackout Package.  Kinda odd to seem them Black again instead of gray....I don't put stuff on tires, never have, figure it "might" accelerate breaking down the rubber compounds. Besides my tires get dirty , well that is what driving thru a creek, waiting for rain, splashing thru a low spot filled with water on the road is for ...

Car washes are for getting the big clods of mud off a truck...and clearing a shotgun bbl of obstructions...

Well...been six months now since I applied this Shoe Polish. Survived the snows, the rains, the freezing temps, hot humidity of the start of Southern Summer....resisted the bugs, the T-Storms...my spoiler is beginning to show more gray than black. Fender wells are fine, my bumpers - especially the rear one you step onto are fine.

Oh that step up is NOT slippery like when vinyl dressings are used. That will get your butt busted for sure.

Gosh - I hope someone tosses another can of Shoe Polish in the bed of my truck, I "guess" I need to think about treating my blackout package again....

*grin*

Steve

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Shoe Polish vs Vinyl Dressing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 11:39:06 AM »
Well Steve, I guess you haven't seen my truck.  1992 F150, standard cab, short bed, 4WD, 170,000 miles (put them all on myself).  BUT, the paint is new two-tone blue and white, the wheels, bumpers, grill and brush guard are good old fashioned chrome, and the tires are BIG and BLACK.  The exhausts are dual, chrome and LOUD.  My dad always says "Yep, I liked 'em that way when I was a kid too [grin]".

Seriously, the black shoe polish probably has a good amount of wax in it.  Not a bad idea at all.

I used to use semi-gloss black spray paint under my wheelwells and on the frame rails about twice a year to give a nice fresh look.