Author Topic: Smith Dinner  (Read 3603 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Smith Dinner
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »
John McCain delivers the best 14 minutes of political comedy in the past decade.  Granted, the underdog can afford more experimental ground, but he KILLED. 

http://www.firstthings.com/blog/2008/10/17/al-smith-dinner/
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Smith Dinner
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
John McCain delivers the best 14 minutes of political comedy in the past decade.  Granted, the underdog can afford more experimental ground, but he KILLED. 

http://www.firstthings.com/blog/2008/10/17/al-smith-dinner/

"We all know the press is really an independent, civic-minded and non-partisan group . . . . like ACORN."

=D
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

ArmedBear

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »
From what I understand, John McCain, when he's being himself, is a really fun guy to hang out with.

I wish that campaigns weren't just performances, with piles of other people telling everyone how to act. Has it occurred to anyone that some people make a far better impression when they just act like themselves?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
I do wonder why we have had to wait until the last two weeks of the campaign before a sense of humour becomes important in this election.  Admittedly this wasnt in your country, but our last major election (the London Mayoral) was won by someone who lots of people liked because he was funny.  They should just have McCain crack jokes nationwide between now and Nov 4th, it would probably work.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »
They should just have McCain crack Obama jokes nationwide between now and Nov 4th, it would probably work.

Fixed it for you  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »
What Ibn Rushbo said the other day. "What do Osama and Obama have in common?"

They both have friends that bombed the Pentagon!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 02:32:14 AM »
What Ibn Rushbo 

Who?

"What do Osama and Obama have in common?"

They both have friends that bombed the Pentagon!

What...tf?

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:07 AM »
Billy Ayers, Sgt.  Weathermen set off an IED in a Pentegon bathroom back in '72.

Billy's wife, a real piece of work, did a lot of other bombings.

Terrorists in the classroom.  How fitting. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
Who?

"Son of Rush"

What the bo is though, I dont know.

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
Billy Ayers, Sgt.  Weathermen set off an IED in a Pentegon bathroom back in '72.

Billy's wife, a real piece of work, did a lot of other bombings.

Terrorists in the classroom.  How fitting. =D

OK, thanks.  I was trying to make an actual Osama/Obama connection. =|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
McCain has a very good delivery--with a good script (same writer who wrote Palin's acceptance speech, I hear).  At comedy he is better than Obama with high-flown rhetoric. Comedy's harder.  You don't need the same sense of timing with "bombast."

If McCain had been funnier and wittier during this campaign he might be way ahead.  After all, this IS the Letterman generation.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.