Author Topic: Saga of the drop-eared dog...  (Read 1997 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Saga of the drop-eared dog...
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:27:10 AM »
Mason has a nice ear infection.

This is the first drop-eared dog I've ever had, and I apparently wasn't taking care of his ears correctly.

So, I need to do drops for the next two weeks and do a better job of cleaning his ears going forward.

Fortunately he's pretty good about getting drops and about my cleaning his ears.

Even more fortunately, I just bought a pressure washer... Smiley

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Saga of the drop-eared dog...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:32:47 AM »
Heh. My dog hates getting drops, so we have to hold her down. She also cannot tell what directions sounds are coming from, which is hilarious.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:35:28 AM »
Fun times there?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »
to clean.
solution 2/3 (cider) vinager, 1/3 green alcohol (its a lot cheaper and works better then the stuff you buy). flush and let him shake, then use a cotten ball to wipe out goo. repeat until no more goo comes out. with a drop ear dog you want to check his ears pretty regular, just flap 'em open and look to see if its crusty or gooy. i know its gross, but give the ears a sniff, if they stink they need to be cleaned. if the smell like infection, clean them and then use otobotic (an antiboitic ointment) for a week or so.
if you have a dog thats prone to ear infections, talk your vet into letting you have a big bottle of otobotic as to avoid vet visits. its one of those things thats just good to have on hand.   
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »
You had better hope that Mason is okay with getting drops.  As big as he is, you might end up getting a high colonic with your own pressure washer.  laugh
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »
Un, I already said that he's good about getting drops.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »
Strangely enough, my wife's cat is named Mason.
Even more strangely enough, he's got an ear infection and is getting drops, too.

This reply has little else to do with your post, however.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »
Anyone tried using those tea tree oil drops that are supposed to prevent the infections?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »
Mike, I know what you're going through. Bernie has been getting those on and off. He gets a combination of yeast and bacteria in his ears. 

My vet has done something different lately, he gave us medicated towelettes to clean the ears vs. going the antibiotic route.

We also get a rinse to use for the deeper part of the dog's ear canal.

The wet wipes are called MalAcetic, and come in the same type of dispenser as other handi-wipe products.

The active ingredients are 2% Acetic Acid, and 2% Boric Acid.

For deeper cleaning, we have what's called VET Solution, which is an ear-cleaning solution for cats and dogs.  You squirt it into the deeper part of the ear and work it in with your hands over the dog's ear canal (which goes quite far down the base of the dog's skull)

You clean the excess off with a cotton ball, especially after he shakes it out. (Boy, do they shake it out!)

For treatment, we've used Animax Ointment, which is prescription nystatin-neomycin sulfate-thiostreptron-triamcinolone acetonide witches' brew to kill stubborn ear infections. 

This latest bout of ear infections was a surprise to us, until the vet calmly asked if the dog was also chewing at his legs.  He was, and right there he knew we were dealing with a food allergy.  We had bought some Beneful stew prepackaged meals for his breakfast a few weeks ago, and had forgotten to look at whether the darned things had corn meal in them.  They did, and sure enough, our dogs were not having a good time of it.  So the Beneful got sent to the local Humane Society while we kept feeding them their normal Lamaderm. It takes about 4 weeks for the allergies to subside, from what I was told.

Evidently food allergies will manifest themselves with ear infections, too. You'll definitely smell the infections as you're working with the dog.

If the ear infections are painful enough, you'll have a fun time getting the big dogs to sit still while you work on their ears.  So far, we're doing good with the MalAcetic wet wipes, though.  He's not digging in his ears like he was prior to the treatment, too.

Good luck, hopefully Mason will be feeling better soon.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »
Parents have got an 11 yr old springer that hasn't had an ear infection yet. Good info in this thread though as 'drop ear' is an understatement with him, you can tuck his ears in his collar.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »
Mike, how about a picture of Mason?  It has nothing to do with his ear problems, but I'm sure several of us would like to see him.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
This is the first drop-eared dog I've ever had, and I apparently wasn't taking care of his ears correctly.

You have to take care of his ears?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife