Author Topic: Another bicycle thread  (Read 1282 times)

mgdavis

• friend
Another bicycle thread
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:59:11 AM »
This morning my grandparents brought over my Uncle's old bike. It was given to him for Christmas when he was twelve, which would make it 1964 or so. It was the bike my Mom learned how to ride on.

It's a Schwinn Corvette II. I don't know much about it, but I figured you guys might enjoy it, and be able to tell me a bit more.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Another bicycle thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »
OH SWEET!
That totally RULES!

In NYC that would probably bring in a grand or more, fix that puppy up and keep it safe!

I learned to ride a similar bike as a kid in the 60's, bike like that were going for up to 2000$ in the 1980's in NYC, it could be worth a whole heck of a lot especially with the "Corvette" name on it!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
Nice.  I love the old english style 3 speeds.  I had a Raleigh Sports for a while, but I didn't have space for it.  Neat old bikes.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
move the seat back about 1.5 inches and ride it

thats a "3 sizes of ball bearings and some grease" easy to maintain machine

replacing the cables would be prudent

the SA 3 speed has an oil filler

triflow the chain and have fun!

http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/showthread.php?t=37372
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
Nice old bike.  Clean it up and ride, but don't put much pressure on the bars.  Those old Schwinn necks (which weren't of the strongest design to begin with) have fatigued and will break in a quick and violent manner.
For entertainment purposes only.