Author Topic: More Buggy Whips offended by their pending obsolescence  (Read 1581 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
More Buggy Whips offended by their pending obsolescence
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:25 AM »
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/07/29/sfo-citizen-arrests-internet-rideshare/

Leading the push:  The cabbie and limo unions.

I've never heard of Lyft, Sidecar or Uber.  But I hope they thrive.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: More Buggy Whips offended by their pending obsolescence
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:52 AM »
Poorly written article (which is hardly your fault.)  Who is allegedly making these "citizen arrests" and under what authority?  (Citizen's arrests are generally only permitted for a felony personally witnessed by the one making the arrest; CA might be different but I doubt it)  This could end very badly when somebody resists.

[popcorn]
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:54:39 AM »
MILLBRAE (CBS SF) — In the past month, San Francisco International Airport officials have been citing and arresting drivers from mobile-app enabled rideshare companies that pick up and drop off passengers, an airport spokesman said.

Airport spokesman Doug Yakel said there have been seven citizen arrests issued to “various offenders” since July 10.

The airport had issued cease and desist letters to several rideshare companies, including Lyft, Sidecar and Uber, in April.

Since then, Yakel said airport officials, in conjunction with airport police, had been “admonishing” drivers that came to the airport.

Yakel said the companies are not permitted to offer their services at SFO and they are now being arrested for unlawful trespassing.

If the airport personnel are making the "arrests" for trespassing, they are most likely skirting very close to the line between citizen's arrest and kidnapping/false inprisonment.

Apparently folks out in SF have forgotten why the taxi industry was regulated - exhorbitant charges, taking the scenic way to bump up the meter, and arbitrary decisions about who to carry and who not to carry, as opposed to unsafe vehicles (although there were some).

What is described does not match the definition of ride-sharing that I am familiar with - matching up folks who regularly went from point A to point B, each in their own vehicle, now pooling together to use only one vehicle.  Riders "contribute" to the expenses of the driver.  Nor does it match with "slugging" - generally white-collar hitchhikers whose presence allows drivers access to the HOV lanes and who may or may not offer a contribution to the driver's expenses.  It most closely matches the definition of gypsy taxis - except there does not seem to be a fixed "contribution" schedule.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
How can they tell that it's a ride share vehicle dropping someone off, or just a buddy doing a friend a favor? I mean, I've dropped folks off at the airport before, and I've gotten picked up by friends or relatives before . . . is that now illegal?

The article mentions "citizen arrests" and "officials" but doesn't really make it clear how the arrest is being conducted, or who is actually doing the arresting.

While I certainly wouldn't resist arrest by a sworn LEO (badge & gun), things won't go well for any non-LEO who tries the same.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »
A friend of mine uses Uber in Philly, he loves it. A little expensive to use often, but if you're in need of a ride, they're classy and quick.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »
Leading the push:  The cabbie and limo unions.

The protesters claim that the drivers are exempt from regulation, vehicle inspections, and insurance and driver requirements.

They are calling the growing practice a “clear public safety hazard.”

They are just participating in corporatism democracy at the local level.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »
gypsy cabs with an internet twist
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Levant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:09 AM »
Poorly written article (which is hardly your fault.)  Who is allegedly making these "citizen arrests" and under what authority?  (Citizen's arrests are generally only permitted for a felony personally witnessed by the one making the arrest; CA might be different but I doubt it)  This could end very badly when somebody resists.

[popcorn]

Citizens arrests are legal for misdemeanors.  In fact, they're really more appropriate for a misdemeanor.  I can't speak for everywhere but I did take a powers of arrest course when I did a part time gig as a security guard in California years ago.  The police cannot arrest for a misdemeanor that they do not witness but they can issue a citation - or choose not to issue a citation.  But if their is evidence of a felony then the police can arrest without having been a witness.  When a person is placed under arrest by a citizen for a misdemeanor then the police must issue the citation.

But a citizen exercising their power of arrest is held to the same legal standard for false arrest as the police - and, perhaps, an even stricter judicial standard.  If no crime was committed then the arrested can and should sue the arresting idiot-citizen.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party