Author Topic: Israel prohibits boycotts - seriously people?  (Read 5052 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Israel prohibits boycotts - seriously people?
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:55:35 AM »
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/0712/Israel-s-boycott-ban-meets-swift-resistance

The law fines groups or individuals that promote anti-Israel or antisettlement boycotts and exposes them to lawsuits of nearly $10,000 without having to prove any damage.

Micro Sez: Seriously people?

You know I was never a fan of the settlements, nor was I a big enemy of them. But a ban against promoting a boycott of their products? I thought Likud claimed to be a free-market party?

Oh wait. This is Israel. In Israel, the phrase "I am a friend of the free market" is usually followed with a "but", and then by some unspeakably Communist idea.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Israel prohibits boycotts - seriously people?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:23:12 AM »
Also BBC article on this lovely topic: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14111925

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »
In Israel, the phrase "I am a friend of the free market" is usually followed with a "but", and then by some unspeakably Communist idea.

Like at the Democratic Convention?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:05 AM »
Like at the Democratic Convention?

I read the English internet version of the Jerusalem Post  and Ha'aretz occasionally, and if they are true representations of Israeli mainstream media, the average DNC member is a raving right winger by comparison to Israel's left wing.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »
Every now and then it's good to be reminded that Israel isn't the mini-America most Americans think it is.

Sorry you have to live with that crap.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »
I read the English internet version of the Jerusalem Post  and Ha'aretz occasionally . . .
From what I've seen on my (infrequent) viewings of the Israeli press, and onsidering what happened to Jews in the 20th century, the Israeli left seems to be embracing racial suicide.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
No need to use words like boycott. Just pass the word along that product x, y and z are unsatisfactory, over-priced, etc. Or, "That store has the worst customer service."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »

I read the English internet version of the Jerusalem Post  and Ha'aretz occasionally, and if they are true representations of Israeli mainstream media, the average DNC member is a raving right winger by comparison to Israel's left right wing.

FTFY.

Evidence: This thread.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
No need to use words like boycott. Just pass the word along that product x, y and z are unsatisfactory, over-priced, etc. Or, "That store has the worst customer service."

Agreed.....just change the word "boycott" to "un-support" and make them try to prove it....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »
Oh, Peace Now (whom I generally dislike) are doing something better. They're  gathering thousands of signatures under a call to boycott the settlements - try and arrest everybody.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
Oh, Peace Now (whom I generally dislike) are doing something better. They're  gathering thousands of signatures under a call to boycott the settlements - try and arrest everybody.

That'll work....it's not like all the Jews were ever arrested before.....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
That'll work....it's not like all the Jews were ever arrested before.....  :facepalm:

You're talking about the country that wants to issue Jews with documents prominently stamped with JEW. On account of 'requests from Holocaust survivors who want to have a document confirming their Jewish identity."

Seriously.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »

You're talking about the country that wants to issue Jews with documents prominently stamped with JEW. On account of 'requests from Holocaust survivors who want to have a document confirming their Jewish identity."

Seriously.

Ain't we both deeply drinking the Snark-Aid today.....  =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »

Seriously.

Facepalm.

All the American anti-Israel left needs besides this asshattery is show the Israeli Haredi rioting/burning/screaming over whatever, being at least superficially indistinguishable from the "Arab Street", and they could drive a serious wedge into the American conservatives nominal pro-Israel stance.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
You're talking about the country that wants to issue Jews with documents prominently stamped with JEW. On account of 'requests from Holocaust survivors who want to have a document confirming their Jewish identity."Seriously.
Holocaust survivors? Wouldn't they already have a tattoo?  :facepalm:

(Just when I think I've seen the most bizzare thing possible in real life . . . something like this comes along.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »
Holocaust survivors? Wouldn't they already have a tattoo?  :facepalm:
The tattoo does not identify a Jew. All sort of other people were in the camps with them.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »

Seriously.

Sigh.

Next you'll be telling us of Jews being forbidden by the state to marry non-Jews in order to maintain racial purity.  
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »
Sigh.

Next you'll be telling us of Jews being forbidden by the state to marry non-Jews in order to maintain racial purity.  

That's already being proposed by some in Israel - there is at law significant discrimination against such unions.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 04:50:34 AM »
That's already being proposed by some in Israel - there is at law significant discrimination against such unions.

This is already the case in Israel.

Under existing law, the only way a Jew can get married is at a rabbinate. Rabbinates only recognize marriages that conform with Jewish law. So no shiksas.

However, three options are still open!

1. You can still travel abroad and get married there (then the government will recognize your marriage, even a gay marriage).

2. If your potential partner is not merely a non-Jew, but also a citizen of a foreign country, you can get a refusal from the rabbinate in writing, and then you can do a legal embassy marriage at the foreign country's embassy. See also 1.

3. STFU and marry a nice Jewish girl.

Is not freedom WONDROUS, De Selby?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »