Author Topic: No more kitties and puppies in Saudi Arabia  (Read 3723 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
No more kitties and puppies in Saudi Arabia
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »
What a completely dysfunctional culture that country has. How joyless do you have to be to ban companion animals? Music is bad. Dancing is bad. Archeology is bad. Art of people is bad. Pets are bad.

Makes the Puritans look like party animals. Tongue The wahabbists should just outright ban joy altogether and be done with it.

Saudi Arabia's religious police have announced a ban on selling cats and dogs as pets, or walking them in public in the Saudi capital, because of men using them as a means of making passes at women, an official said on Wednesday.

Othman al-Othman, head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice in Riyadh, known as the Muttawa, told the Saudi edition of al-Hayat daily that the commission has started enforcing an old religious edict.

He said the commission was implementing a decision taken a month ago by the acting governor of the capital, Prince Sattam bin Abdul Aziz, adding that it follows an old edict issued by the supreme council of Saudi scholars.

The reason behind reinforcing the edict now was a rising fashion among some men using pets in public "to make passes on women and disturb families," he said, without giving more details.

Othman said that the commission has instructed its offices in the capital to tell pet shops "to stop selling cats and dogs".

The 5,000-strong religious police oversees the adherence to Wahabism -- a strict version of Sunni Islam, which also forces women to cover from head to toe when in public, and bans them from driving.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080730134513.7uxdy8o9&show_article=1

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: No more kitties and puppies in Saudi Arabia.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:29:02 AM »
Saudi Arabia's religious police have announced a ban on selling cats and dogs as pets, or walking them in public in the Saudi capital, because of men using them as a means of making passes at women, an official said on Wednesday.

Maybe they could just ban women?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: No more kitties and puppies in Saudi Arabia
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:31:33 AM »
That is funny skidmark.

I am actually surprised that they would even have dogs around to "ban."  In the Muslim religion dogs are dirty/filthy animals.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:42:26 AM »

Are you sure the men are making passes at the women?.....at least they can see what the animal looks like......  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:15:57 AM »
Othman al-Othman, head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice in Riyadh, known as the Muttawa, told the Saudi edition of al-Hayat daily that the commission has started enforcing an old religious edict.

Is this serious Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:49:43 AM »

Nope.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »

Nope.
Nope yet again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
Islam allows for the keeping of animals for a "legitimate purpose" such as security, work or food.  Having one for companionship is forbidden.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
Islam allows for the keeping of animals for a "legitimate purpose" such as security, work or food.  Having one for companionship is forbidden.

What about horses?  The legend is that the horses used to sleep in the tents with the Arabs.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »

What about horses?  The legend is that the horses used to sleep in the tents with the Arabs.

If so, probably so it wouldn't be stolen. Sort of like bringing your car up to your loft in NYC.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:52 AM »

If so, probably so it wouldn't be stolen. Sort of like bringing your car up to your loft in NYC.

Actually, from what I have read probably exactly the opposite.

I can't remember the guys name ... German fellow I think who went out into the "Empty Quarter" and lived with the natives back in the 1920s or 1930s.  The desert folk had this moral code that you could not just steal something left lying around.  That was a disgrace, and you had to take it forcibly from its former owner - preferably by cutting his throat Sad .

So camels and horses grazing on the "open range" were perfectly safe from theft, but anything in camp was open to robbery and murder  rolleyes

Arab horses are supposed to be so "personable" because they were taken into the tents with their owners.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
When pets are outlawed, only outlaws will have pets.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
I guess they thought guys with puppies were nicer then the guys with Lamborghinis, and the Lamborghini crowd to the cops what to do.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 03:20:10 AM »

Ooh, I'll bet that really pissed off the goats.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:24:06 AM »

I could not live there.  sad
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 04:57:12 AM »
IMO, sucks as it does, the religious police or whatever they have over there has to come out with an edict banning something now and again to keep themselves in the forefront and relevant.

And I bet the number of times someone actually used pets to make a pass at a member of the opposite sex over there could be counted on a two-time thief's (missing) hands. I'm guessing one of the Mullahs was indulging in his secret vice of Western movies or satellite TV saw the plot device of an actor using a pet to hit on a woman and came up with the edict then and there.  grin

Next it'll be iPod's or maybe just ear-bud earphones, because you could be listening to Satanistic Western music and on one would know.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:38 AM »

I could not live there.  sad

Me neither.  Boy, I couldn't live like that.

Keeping humans for companionship is questionable  laugh

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »

Nope.

I really can't understand why making a remark about people wearing cologne by the bucketfuls could be construed as offensive. If I were to comment about truck drivers (which I am) wearing bucketfuls of obnoxious cologne (which a great many of them do) would that be edited out by a mod as well? Are comments about peoples wear of odoriferous substances considered racist or something? When I was stationed at Lackland AFB, Texas, there were hundreds of Saudi officers there for training and I had first hand knowledge of their malodorous airs.

There are a lot worse comments made on this board by quite a few which are not edited.
I mean forcripesakes, it's just cologne.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »
What a completely dysfunctional culture that country has. How joyless do you have to be to ban companion animals? Music is bad. Dancing is bad. Archeology is bad. Art of people is bad. Pets are bad.

Makes the Puritans look like party animals. Tongue The wahabbists should just outright ban joy altogether and be done with it.

I wouldn't want to be the Wahabbi making that edict.   If things go as he believes, he'll be answering to his Prophet.  One story is that the Prophet Mohammed had a tabby cat which fell asleep on the sleeve of his robe. Rather than disturb the cat, he cut off his sleeve when he answered the muezzin.  Another story is that the same cat once warned Mohammed of danger from a deadly snake. 

This would be akin to a Christian banning wine.  Probably not a good way to impress one's spiritual leader, trying to ban something they obviously favored.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »

I wouldn't want to be the Wahabbi making that edict.   If things go as he believes, he'll be answering to his Prophet.  One story is that the Prophet Mohammed had a tabby cat which fell asleep on the sleeve of his robe. Rather than disturb the cat, he cut off his sleeve when he answered the muezzin.  Another story is that the same cat once warned Mohammed of danger from a deadly snake. 

This would be akin to a Christian banning wine.  Probably not a good way to impress one's spiritual leader, trying to ban something they obviously favored.

Yep-one of the more important figures in Islamic history is actually called "Father of the cats" because he loved them so much. 

I think there's actually a quite rational explanation for all of these edicts and bizarre laws.  Of course the Saudis realize that it's ridiculous.  But when you run a lock-step dictatorship, you need to have lots of reasons to arrest people.

When you pass a bizarro law, no one obeys it.  That gives the government the option of arresting all of its unwanteds and opponents; they can just arrest them for violating all of the bizarre laws that no one else follows anyway.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."