Author Topic: Terrorist attack in Stockholm  (Read 2158 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Terrorist attack in Stockholm
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »
Truck plows into department store, leaving atleast 5 dead. There are also reports of shots being fired close-ish to the scene.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39531108
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Terrorist attack in Stockholm
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »
It appears that motor vehicles are the new weapon of choice for terrorists in urban areas.  How many is this now?  Paris, London, Columbus, this one?  Scary.  Keep yourself alert out in public, boys and girls.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
It appears that motor vehicles are the new weapon of choice for terrorists in urban areas.  How many is this now?  Paris, London, Columbus, this one?  Scary.  Keep yourself alert out in public, boys and girls.
Berlin, Nice.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
Kind of makes you think about your concealed handgun selection when carrying the threat might come from a motor vehicle.  I thought I remember at least one podcast guy talk about 10mm instead of smaller guns.  Hard to say how one of those people would react if bullets started coming through the windshield.

Wasn't there at least one guy at Nice, France that actually got in the vehicle with the terrorist, but was unable to stop him?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
Kind of makes you think about your concealed handgun selection when carrying the threat might come from a motor vehicle.  I thought I remember at least one podcast guy talk about 10mm instead of smaller guns.  Hard to say how one of those people would react if bullets started coming through the windshield.

It does.  My thought is that getting out of the way may be the only real option.  Since these guys tend to drive until the vehicle stops, then come out swinging a machete, gotta think that getting out of the way of the truck is Step 1, and Step 2 is to watch for the guy playing Zorro when the truck/car stops.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
It does.  My thought is that getting out of the way may be the only real option.  Since these guys tend to drive until the vehicle stops, then come out swinging a machete, gotta think that getting out of the way of the truck is Step 1, and Step 2 is to watch for the guy playing Zorro when the truck/car stops.
I think it really depends on how much time you have to react.  (210 foot rule?).

If you have time to draw and fire before or while getting out of the way, it ought to help the situation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 02:07:25 PM »
If you have time to draw and fire before or while getting out of the way, it ought to help the situation.

That could go very poorly.  Who's to say it's a terrorist attack?  What happens if you fire upon a vehicle, only to later discover the driver was having a seizure or something?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »

Spoke with Jeanette, she's safe. Was out sick today, friend of hers was in the middle of it but got out ok.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
That could go very poorly.  Who's to say it's a terrorist attack?  What happens if you fire upon a vehicle, only to later discover the driver was having a seizure or something?
Good point.  If you are one of the first, you might not be able to tell.  If you are further back and see the driver swerving to hit people, that is different.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
Death toll seems to be 4, along with 15 injured.
One person arrested, a 39-year old man from Uzbekistan, who has previously expressed sympathies for ISIS. Apparently, he's already confessed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
Meanwhile, the teevee was on in the shop at the shooting range when I was there this afternoon, and the talking heads were again jabbering about how the U.S. shouldn't be checking out immigrants or visitors more carefully than we've done in the past. They even trotted out some current U.S. Representative (Democrat, naturally) to parrot the line that checking out people who want to enter the country is unconstitutional.

Morons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »
One person arrested, a 39-year old man from Uzbekistan, who has previously expressed sympathies for ISIS. Apparently, he's already confessed.

Ah. So your typical Euro-skeptic, Trump-supporting Methodist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »

There goes my wager,  I had money on this one being those militant Methodists...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
Remember the left mocking conservatives over the 'poisonous skittle' analogy? Sweden just ate one.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Terrorist attack in Stockholm
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »
Remember the left mocking conservatives over the 'poisonous skittle' analogy? Sweden just ate one.
What's the big deal? Only 3 people died.

They can easily absorb that.

And after all,  what's a few dead Westerners compared to the smug satisfaction their rulers feel in importing the downtrodden and making the rabble deal with them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Re: Terrorist attack in Stockholm
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
What's the big deal? Only 3 people died.

They can easily absorb that.

And after all,  what's a few dead Westerners compared to the smug satisfaction their rulers feel in importing the downtrodden and making the rabble deal with them.

That much less white privilege in the world, eh? That's called social justice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »

I always wanted to point out the logic flaw in the poisonous skittle analogy. YOU aren't eating the skittles, you're statistically overwhelmingly giving them to OTHER people at random. Most of the people who reshared that flawed analogy also were trying to tell said other people that the skittles are harmless instead of admitting that a handful are guaranteed to be poisonous.

Thing is, I don't disagree with the underlying notion of the poisonous skittle analogy. I support immigration (the legal kind) and accept that while the overwhelming majority aren't a problem, there will always be a handful of bad people. One would want to be intelligent about the matter in terms of numbers, background checks, etc but that doesn't change the fact that no screening will ever be perfect.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
I always wanted to point out the logic flaw in the poisonous skittle analogy. YOU aren't eating the skittles, you're statistically overwhelmingly giving them to OTHER people at random. Most of the people who reshared that flawed analogy also were trying to tell said other people that the skittles are harmless instead of admitting that a handful are guaranteed to be poisonous.

Thing is, I don't disagree with the underlying notion of the poisonous skittle analogy. I support immigration (the legal kind) and accept that while the overwhelming majority aren't a problem, there will always be a handful of bad people. One would want to be intelligent about the matter in terms of numbers, background checks, etc but that doesn't change the fact that no screening will ever be perfect.

There is a happy medium somewhere between letting no one in and inviting 100,000 screaming beards in to do as they please.
Sweden has chosen the latter extreme.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama