Main Forums > Politics

Guns For Illegals?

<< < (4/4)

dogmush:

--- Quote from: Perd Hapley on March 25, 2024, 11:06:28 PM ---What I don't understand about this ruling is, if the court knows this person is illegally present, how do they have a right to anything more than humane treatment while they're being detained or deported? Are they waiting for an asylum hearing, maybe?

--- End quote ---

This ruling was a ruling on a motion to dismiss the charge of violating 18 USC 922(g)(5).  There was nothing in the motion pertaining to any charges based on the illegal immigration status.  The judge ruled narrowly on the specific motion in front of her.  The ruling does mention that Pre-Trial services have been regularly meeting with Mr. Carbajal-Flores, and that he "has consistently adhered to and fulfilled all the stipulated conditions of his release, is gainfully employed, and has no new arrests or outstanding warrants."  I'm unclear if there are more pending charges for illegal entry but it seems clear that for four years he's been "in the system" and on pretrial release, so that may be why the Feds didn't scoop him up at the court house. 

Illinois is a Sanctuary State by Illinois statute, so local law enforcement could not help the feds if they were trying to deport him, which may have an impact on how strongly the Feds are trying to deport him as well.

MechAg94:

--- Quote from: Hawkmoon on March 25, 2024, 06:11:45 PM ---
If the above is correct, then why are legal aliens (green card holders) allowed to possess firearms?

I agree with MechAg94 -- illegals are illegal and IMHO shouldn't have any rights at all, other than the right to be fed subsistence rations until they are deported.

--- End quote ---
I don't think I intended to say that in quite the same way.  IMO, if an illegal alien is caught, gun charges aren't the issue.  Holding them and deporting them is the issue.  They still get due process, but I don't see any reason that should take months/years, more like days. 

While they are here, IMO, they have the right to self defense and bearing of arms just like everyone else.  "Congress shall make no law...." and "..shall not be infringed."  There was no exception for citizenship status.  If we don't like that, then it is on us to stop them at the border.  There hasn't been the political will to do that in some decades.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version