Author Topic: We are all scary bogie-men.  (Read 1384 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
We are all scary bogie-men.
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
I am frequently informed that my paralyzing fear of teh ghey, and their gay agenda is nothing but a bogie man set up to keep me fearfully voting for Republican candidates. 

But I always hear this from people who have a similar debilitating paranoia about THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT and their scary agenda.  Oh the noes!  They wants to control womens bodys and put all the geys in prison!  George W. Bush has established theacrocy!!

So, tell us, are you one of those scary bogie-men?  Who's scared of you? 

nico

• friend
Re: We are all scary bogie-men.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
I'm a gun owner.  You should see the look on the face of a kool0aide drinking democrat when I tell them I own an AR15 and explain that my SKS has a build in bayonet and grenade launcher.   =D

George W. Bush has established theacrocy!!
Ask the people: "what will obama do to reverse those theocratic powers that Bush established and make sure the government doesn't take advantage of them under his watch?"  I don't remember obama ever promising to get rid of the patriot act or the telecom immunity bill, and he's going to have a hard enough time delivering on the things he did promise that I wouldn't hold my breath on the things he didn't promise.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »
No.  Just an American through and through.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
I'm a gun owner.  You should see the look on the face of a kool0aide drinking democrat when I tell them I own an AR15 and explain that my SKS has a build in bayonet and grenade launcher.   =D

I don't ever do that.

Why?

Because if they're a True Believer of the radical sort, all it takes is one call to the police that you threatened them with a gun (It's happened), and you lose them all.

nico

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
I don't ever do that.

Why?

Because if they're a True Believer of the radical sort, all it takes is one call to the police that you threatened them with a gun (It's happened), and you lose them all.

I don't go out of my way to discuss guns.  The way it's come up is a couple other guys who hunt and myself happen to be talking about hunting at lunch.  Someone else (a friend/friendly acquaintance; not strangers) will sit down and start asking questions.  If the subject comes up, I make a point to explain that both guns are significantly less powerful than the gun I actually use for hunting (a Ruger M77 in .270win)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
I don't ever do that.

Why?

I don't brag about my guns to anyone who will listen, but I don't conceal the fact that I'm a hunter and shooter.  I see it as a good opportunity for dialog and to present a positive gun owner image.  It works.  As recently as last night, I took two new shooters to the range.  Granted, both were interested in buying a gun for defense and recreation before the session, but by not hiding my hobby, they knew someone to talk to about their interest.  The guy's father was a sometime hunter, so he wasn't totally new to guns, just handguns.  His girlfriend was bitten by the bug when she tried skeet on a whim while on vacation recently.

Mike and I introduced them to various semiautos and revolvers.  I also brought my AR.  The guy now knows he likes the 1911, 44mag, and AR, the girl became interested in medium framed 38special revolvers.  Both showed significant improvement in their marksmanship by the end of the session.  Her words upon leaving the range were "Thanks!  That was awesome!".  The guy had a big goofy grin on his face while shooting the 45, 44, and AR.

Dunno what they'll end up getting, but they're closer to buying and better acquainted with guns than they were 24hrs ago.

They also have a standing invite to go anytime.  I told them I don't go frequently because I get busy and just "forget" to make time for the range, but if they want to go, let me know and we'll do so.

I'm also involved in a running discussion with an anti I bike with.  I don't expect to change his mind, but I am correcting some of his misconception regarding guns, so it has been productive.  If it makes him think just a bit the next time he reads an article or hears about proposed legislation, we're that much better off.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
Just got this email from the pair we shot with last night:

Dude, thanks again to you and Mike for the gun range time. It was loads
of fun, and Kate had a great time too (she spent the whole evening going
on about how great it was). She wanted me to let both you know how much
we appreciate you bringing the whole selection of guns out...[sic]

Shes definitely a revolver girl. I enjoyed pretty much all of them, but
the .45 and the magnum revolvers were the most fun (followed closely by
the AR-15).

We are definitely looking forward to going back.

Thanks again. Pass along our thanks to Mike too

This is how we progress, not by calling names and hiding.

Chris

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »
Aw, you're just a liberal weenie.  [He said, while hiding in the comfortable safety of the internet.]   :lol:

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 01:33:58 AM »
I seem to be a boogie-man to my wife's family.

Two of her aunts have said that they won't go inside "a house with a gun in it".  Now, they've both been here with their families, not knowing that evil Mr. Glock was waiting upstairs(unloaded and disassembled), awaiting a chance to kill, and nothing happened, BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER.  What matters is that I own GUNS, and GUNS are BAD.

Also, her mother and grandmother both said today that they won't ever come to our house if we get a wiener-dog(wife commented that she might want one).

Just think, two simple steps to keeping 80% of the in-laws away :D