Author Topic: We all know that recruiters don't lie to you, right?  (Read 4390 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
We all know that recruiters don't lie to you, right?
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:28:34 AM »
One family member's kid washed out of boot camp last summer with a messed up shoulder and couldn't do his chinups... He's going back in, only this time he's doing Army and he's going to be a medic - I think it started to sink in that he -really- wants to do something that's going to have application in the civilian world, and his dad is a fireman, so...

Anywho, he's got a friend (whose major interest in life seems to be TV...) and I queried him as to what he was going to do... Turns out he's signed up for 11-bang-bang, and he's going to go to airborne school and ranger school...

Okay...

So, I asked him about his backup plan, for the likelihood that he wasn't able to do airborne ranger duty...

Got your basic blank stare...

If I was still in, I'd definitely want this guy on the front lines - in front of me. Any place but behind me...

Blog under construction

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: We all know that recruiters don't lie to you, right?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:46:33 AM »
One family member's kid washed out of boot camp last summer with a messed up shoulder and couldn't do his chinups... He's going back in, only this time he's doing Army and he's going to be a medic - I think it started to sink in that he -really- wants to do something that's going to have application in the civilian world, and his dad is a fireman, so...

Anywho, he's got a friend (whose major interest in life seems to be TV...) and I queried him as to what he was going to do... Turns out he's signed up for 11-bang-bang, and he's going to go to airborne school and ranger school...

Okay...

So, I asked him about his backup plan, for the likelihood that he wasn't able to do airborne ranger duty...

Got your basic blank stare...

If I was still in, I'd definitely want this guy on the front lines - in front of me. Any place but behind me...

If he doesn't make it through RIP, he'll end up in an ABN unit.  If he doesn't make it through jump school, he'll be in a leg unit.  No much necessity to plan out the failure process. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:58:11 AM »
readers digest in the 70's had in humour in uniform.  thule grenland they have lil shelters around base in case you get stranded by a storm  scrawled on wall inside one "recruiter speak with forked tougue"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:08:03 AM »
Thing is, this guy is SURE that he's gonna be one of the high speed/low drag guys... And I'm guessing that a sizable chunka bonus is riding on it...

His primary knowledge of "high speed/low drag" comes from xbox and playstation...

I'm figuring that they'll have to train him in how to peel potatoes...

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »
Not sure why you're blaming the recruiter?
Some guys are only cut out to jump from airplanes and stop bullets.
We called them grunts in the 'corps for a reason.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
Not sure why you're blaming the recruiter?
Some guys are only cut out to jump from airplanes and stop bullets.
We called them grunts in the 'corps for a reason.

and us Sailors call them "Sea-going Bellhops" for a reason !!!  :P

On the serious side, I was a Navy Recruiter for four years. I never lied to any of my applicants. I truly loathe the innuendo that we "lie". I've even met some of my recruits after recruiting duty and back out in the fleet. They all still liked me. 
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:16:21 AM »
and us Sailors call them "Sea-going Bellhops" for a reason !!!  :P

On the serious side, I was a Navy Recruiter for four years. I never lied to any of my applicants. I truly loathe the innuendo that we "lie". I've even met some of my recruits after recruiting duty and back out in the fleet. They all still liked me. 

Yup.  My dad was a Marine recruiter for several years.  I know his character and to lie to recruits would be beneath him.
My recruiter was up front and blunt with me.  Hell, he's the one that called me to get me out of my first choices and into ATC, which involved an enlistment bonus.  My first choice originally was armor.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
How does the kid washing out of boot constitute the recruiter lying to him?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »
Thing is, this guy is SURE that he's gonna be one of the high speed/low drag guys... And I'm guessing that a sizable chunka bonus is riding on it...

His primary knowledge of "high speed/low drag" comes from xbox and playstation...

I'm figuring that they'll have to train him in how to peel potatoes...

It will take all that confidence and a heaping helping of motivation some to get him through RIP, in addition to the ability to perform under stress.

I am still fuzzy about how his ignorance and youthful exuberance result in his recruiter being a liar.  I am not precluding the possibility that his recruiter is a liar, I just see no evidence thus far presented.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
I was lied to.  I was told a combat engineer and a carpenter are the same thing except the engineers get to use explosives.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
Hey, Sombody has to reveal the enemy sniper's position.  How else will the rest of us shoot him?

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
I hope he got it in writing, Bogie. My callow youth was taken advantage of when I enlisted, lo those many years ago. I didn't have anyone I could depend on for counsel, so I got screwed.

The recruiter in my hometown was a stand-up guy. I'd signed in May to go to Ft. Knox and be a tanker. Everything he and I discussed was up front. Then in June things at home got worse so I talked to him, he sent me back to AFEES in Atlanta, and there I asked for something else in Combat Arms leaving RFN, if not sooner. The recruiter there offered Infantry School and I took it, asking for Airborne and Ranger Schools afterward. He said there were no slots available (an out-and-out lie, I learned later), but said that someone from ABN "always" went to the units during training cycles to ask for volunteers.

To make a long story somewhat shorter, the guy never showed during my training. I didn't know and no one bothered to tell me that all I had to do was go across post to ABN School HQ after graduation and volunteer myself. I was taught at home to shut my face and do as I was told, under threat of overwhelming punishment, so I didn't question Uncle's minions, I sucked it up, took my assignment to West Germany and Mech Infantry, and went overseas. Without going into details (that "long story short" thing again), it sucked big double-jointed donkey d*cks.

So, all that to set up this: If the kid's got listening apparatus, try to talk to him about it before he goes. The one thing I wanted and needed back then was reasoned guidance, and I never got it. I hope he gets better than I did.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »
I was lied to.  I was told a combat engineer and a carpenter are the same thing except the engineers get to use explosives.

Ever try to put a wall up with Semtex?

mfree

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
Well, you can certaily get your materials off the ground...

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
Turns out he's signed up for 11-bang-bang, and he's going to go to airborne school and ranger school...
Has he at least busted himself into good shape to try to get through it?
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
Both of 'em hold up a couch real good...

I'm figuring that the recruiter may not have out-and-out lied, but at the same time, I'm guessing that the kid didn't get the whole story...

He's already SURE that he's going Airborne Ranger...

Doesn't want to talk to anyone either. He's gonna be 'leet.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »

I'm figuring that the recruiter may not have out-and-out lied, but at the same time, I'm guessing that the kid didn't get the whole story...

Sure he is. :lol:

Wow, is he ever in for a reality check, I would think?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

Sounds like you might not have the complete picture, either.  The recruiter may have asked him what he wanted to do if choice A didn't work out.  Standard 18 year old's response is "Like, I don't know, man"
He's dumb and he's young.  Some discipline in the military will do him some good, who cares if its not the pointy end of the stick?
JD

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Well, odds are he'll do his hitch, bitching the whole time, dropping the morale of whatever unit he is in, and then hit the civilian workforce... If he doesn't figure out a way to flunk out of basic...

Just seems like a waste.

Blog under construction

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
Well, odds are he'll do his hitch, bitching the whole time, dropping the morale of whatever unit he is in, and then hit the civilian workforce... If he doesn't figure out a way to flunk out of basic...

Just seems like a waste.

Well, he'll either get wise real quick or get TDP'd.  The choice is up to him.  I don't think the recruiter has anything to do with how he'll respond.   And I don't think the recruiter lied. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »

Ah well, I was hoping...
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Crow1108

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
I've had experiences with three recruiters. First one was a Marine recruiter who was a very honorable man. He would work with potential recruits on the weekends to get them ready for basic, and from what I could tell, didn't lie to his recruits. This was during a point in time when I was in Highschool, and was seriously considering the Marine Corps.

Second one was when I made my final decision to join the Air Force. He showed actual pictures of where he was stationed, his dormitory (AF Speak for barracks) at his first base, and didn't lie a whole lot about AF basic training.

Third one was my final recruiter. She never lied, and actually gave us a lot of advice about basic training and what to expect (IE: don't wear any Air Force-related t-shirts on the plane ride to basic training, don't shave your head ahead of time, don't show up wearing earrings/piercings, don't show up with contact lenses, etc.). She didn't set us up for failure, like some of the guys in my BMT flight's recruiters obviously did for them (one of them asked our TI if we would get an opportunity to e-mail our friends and family back home, which resulted in an incredulous stare and some harsh words directed to him  =D).

I won't say AF Basic training was the easiest thing I ever went through, but I do know it's worlds easier than that of any of the other services.

I wish your friend luck. I hope he's preparing physically and mentally before he leaves.
"I work in the back. I see no smiles."--"Bruce Allmighty"

taurusowner

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
if the recruiter gave him the slot in the school, it's on the kid past that.  If he can't pass PT in Basic or washed out of the school, it's on him.  recruiters can only give you slots, they can't take the tests for you.  I'm not sure what this kid being a probable wash-out has to do with his recruiter.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »
Thing is, this guy is SURE that he's gonna be one of the high speed/low drag guys...

Well then, he's already won half the battle.

Recruiters will tell you anything.. when I was 19 (7 years ago) I went into a recruiting office considering going in...  He reaked of schmoozy used-car-salesmanness.  Part of the reason I didn't join.. if this is the recruiter, who are the leaders?  That and God blessed me with a back injury 2 days before I was supposed to swear in.  I'm thankful for the guys that do go in though.. better men than me!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:08:55 PM by jackdanson »