Author Topic: We are gun rights kids...  (Read 2042 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
We are gun rights kids...
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
... six million strong... and growing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714389/ns/us_news-life/

And AZ is on track to go AK carry.

That sound you hear?  It's called momentum.  =D

Whoops, missed the other thread.  Feel free to delete or merge.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: We are gun rights kids...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
It sounds like he shot him in the back twice but they didn't arrest him.
Weird.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
If the guy was still a threat then it was justified. Sounds like that's how the coppers read it.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
If the guy was still a threat then it was justified. Sounds like that's how the coppers read it.
Sounds like he was fleeing when he did it.  Fleeing guy isn't really a threat.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
You can flee and still be pointing your gun at folk.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »
It sounds like he shot him in the back twice but they didn't arrest him.
Weird.

abdomen is the back now?  and in what world do you have to ask a robber to turn and face you before you shoot him?  till he drops the gun and/or hits the ground hes fair game
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
Iirc, it said the guy turned.  Turn does not mean flee.  Could be reflex, could be reaching, could just be confused.  If the guy is still standing and within short distance, shooting seems to be warranted.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
If you're trying to look at what I've posted as accusing the shooter of wrong doing, then you'll have to try really hard.
I said that I was surprised that he wasn't prosecuted for shooting at a man that was turning away and running.
I also said it sounded like he was shot in the back.  Last I checked, the torso goes all the way around.
Then I said it sounds like the bad guy was fleeing the second and third time he was shot.
If anything, you guys should be looking at my posts and thinking that the report wasn't very clear at what happened at all.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:11:36 AM »
“Their efforts at reaching out to minorities and women have failed,” said Rand...

Because that is THE gold standard to hold a movement to. Stupid liberal fixation.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
If AZ passes Alaska carry, we'll have actual right to carry laws (rather than license-to-carry laws) spread across the country like wildfire.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »
“Their efforts at reaching out to minorities and women have failed,” said Rand...
Because that is THE gold standard to hold a movement to. Stupid liberal fixation.

I'll disagree with women. That's growing by leaps and bounds.

Minorities, I might agree. But that's only because certain segments of urban society have become so used to habitual criminality they see CCW as a "hunting license" on their kids.  ;/
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »
I've discussed the shooting with a number of folks already, based primarily on the Force Science Institute's recent study on reaction times to stopping shooting http://www.forcescience.org/articles/tempestudy.pdf .

It's difficult to say, based on a newspaper's limited info, whether the shooter took extra shots intentionally or was caught between his brain and his muscles.  There are some things which also suggest that the local cops were not too concerned oer the fate of a young thug from out of state who apparently wanted to continue his thuggish ways while visiting.

The thing I have not seen so far is anybody trying to ride the "wimpy round" pony.  I guess this might just shut up the folks on that score. [popcorn]

Who am I kidding? :facepalm:

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
He started firing when the guy was facing him.  Even after he turned, he was still armed and still very close.  IMO, that still constitutes a threat.  After all, he hit him with a 32 so it couldn't be all that far away.  :)

I don't see turning alone as a stop sign for defending yourself.  It seems to me I have seen a number of cases in Texas as least where people were not raked over the coals for shooting someone after they turned.  There might be different case law in your state though. 

I guess I really, really dislike the notion that just because someone turns around real quick that justified lethal force automatically becomes murder.  It is good for the shooter to keep in mind, but sucks as a legal precedent. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

I'll disagree with women. That's growing by leaps and bounds.

Minorities, I might agree. But that's only because certain segments of urban society have become so used to habitual criminality they see CCW as a "hunting license" on their kids.  ;/
Who obviously were all turning their lives around, srsly, just after this last robbery/burglary that unfortunatly for them ended with a free stay at the local morgue.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
He started firing when the guy was facing him.  Even after he turned, he was still armed and still very close.  IMO, that still constitutes a threat.  After all, he hit him with a 32 so it couldn't be all that far away.  :)

I don't see turning alone as a stop sign for defending yourself.  It seems to me I have seen a number of cases in Texas as least where people were not raked over the coals for shooting someone after they turned.  There might be different case law in your state though. 

I guess I really, really dislike the notion that just because someone turns around real quick that justified lethal force automatically becomes murder.  It is good for the shooter to keep in mind, but sucks as a legal precedent. 

But ....  But....   But, couldn't he have just shot the gun out of his hand, or maybe wounded him in the arm or something? [/ whiney idiot liberal kumbya voice]

The Force Science Institute article goes into some depth about the amount of time it takes for the muscles to stop shooting after the brain calls for a cease fire.  The newspaper article gives no information to help decide if that was the case or if the shooter decided to put a few extra into the perp "just to make sure".  There is some small talk (all unconfirmed and from sources far from reliable except as rumor-mongers) coming from folks in the area that the cops, on learning the pedigree of the deceased, are taking the view that either case is acceptable given the end result.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
There's not enough info to determine just how the BG turned.  He was confronting a group.  Imagine the group arranged in an arc in front of him.  One member shoots at the BG, hitting him in the torso. After the first shot, he may have turned to more directly face the member of the group doing the shooting, getting one more in the torso and one in the neck.  All good shots, IMO.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
Next time you're at the range fire 3 shots as fast as you can.  Then turn to the side as if running away as fast as you can.  It's damn near simultaneous. 

The fact that the final rounds strike in the side/back due to the target's natural reflex to turn away from the gunfire is just biology and physics.  It's a non-issue in terms of "justification".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."