Author Topic: We ARE the Borg  (Read 1275 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
We ARE the Borg
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »
I've know this has been coming for some time, but today I saw something that tells me its getting closer and closer.  On CNN, they ran a segment about putting silcon chips in peoples heads to let them control a computer.  The test subject is a quadrapalegic and has had the procedure done.  They showed him with a connection to the top of his head and a good sized cable running out to the silicon hardware.  With it, he could control the curser on a screen just by thinking about it, open applications and the like.  He was also able to control a prosthetic arm, opening and closing the mechanical hand just by willing it so.

The future is going to be VERY strange indeed.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »
I don't know that the future is going to be any stranger than our present would seem to the people who came before.

We already have technology that people thought of as sci-fi-bordering-on-fantasy only 40 years ago.  And we consider it everyday stuff.  A phone you can put in your pocket?  A computer that you can carry with you that performs at a speed measured in billions of instructions per second?  A walk-in clinic where you can get bad eyesight fixed using Advanced Optical MASER Technology?

Heck, sometimes the gee-whizzery in my car astonishes me, and I've been into computers since I was in the fourth grade, back in the early 80s...

It's not a revolution, it's just evolution at a rate faster than people are prepared for.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 11:42:38 AM »
Heck, sometimes the gee-whizzery in my car astonishes me, and I've been into computers since I was in the fourth grade, back in the early 80s...
You wouldn't believe the amount of cruft that's under the thin surface of that gee-whizzery, though. I've been deep into it, so I know.

Microsoft wetware? No, thank you VERY much.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
I'm all for new technology.  I make my living fixing technology, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with a silicon processor in my head.  Or anywhere else in me, for that matter.

Strings

We ARE the Borg
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »
well, at least at that point people will be able to claim there's SOMETHING in their heads...

zahc

• friend
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »
Preparing to brain-dive...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
yeah, but nobody knows how to make bricks like the english did back in 1750

if we fall off this tech wagon, a whole lot of folke are gonna get bruised
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

We ARE the Borg
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:35:52 PM »
Can you build a shelter from branches?  
Got water purification covered?
Can you hunt/gather supplemented with some MRE's or similar? What's edible/poisonous in the woods around your house? Build a stove from a couple of soda cans?
What do you need to survive without going to Wal-Mart, Kroger or Home Depot for 6 months to a year?

I am far from an alarmist, and am admittedly unprepared in some of those areas.
Yet reports are that this avian flu is not an if, but a when it's going to morph to be contagious from human to human.  

At that point, you either have the skills to survive, or maybe there's an organization happy to help you out IF you have the chip embedded in hand or forehead...

YMMV.

matis

• friend
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
Quote from: dasmi
I'm all for new technology.  I make my living fixing technology, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with a silicon processor in my head.  Or anywhere else in me, for that matter.
Doesn't it all depend on how UNCOMFORTABLE you are now?

The guy in the wheelchair gets to be LOTS more comfortable with that chip in his head.

In his place, so would I.

Remember the Intel 486SX?  It was a full 486 except the math circuitry wasn't there (or was crippled).

You paid the extra, you got the math circuitry.

Once lots of people around you have the implants and gain advantage over you thereby, you'll be the "cripple" unless you get one too.

Doesn't faze me.  I'd like to "enhance" my capabilities.

And, anyway, my soon-to-be-wife suggests I get a "politeness" chip implanted as soon as they come out with them.    Tongue

I bet it seemed strange to see people wearing spectacles, when they first caught on.

Just musing out loud....

matis

Edited to add:  Fig's post above does remind me of one concern, however.

They're putting more and more black boxes in cars.  Very soon the cars will have devices to allow the cops to disable them at will.  Ergo, no more high-speed chases.

The Brits are installing a system of cameras to track every single car trip taken anytime, anywhere (!!).  Yes, true!  In the land that started the whole freedom thing with the Magna Carta!

So the concern is that the chip that makes me polite (or see in the dark, or store data for immediate access, or whatever), will also disable my ability to run should the authorities want to "talk" to me.  And disable my ability to dissemble should I think the matter is none of their business.

Think that's too far-fetched?  Is the Brit car-journey/camera system?  Is the guy in the wheel-chair moving his prosthetic hand and using Excel simply by willing it so?

As usual, it's a couble-edged sword.
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »
They're putting more and more black boxes in cars.  Very soon the cars will have devices to allow the cops to disable them at will.  Ergo, no more high-speed chases.
That's why I like older vehicles.  Once the loan on my 2002 F-150 is paid off, I'm going back to old rides.

DrAmazon

• friend
We ARE the Borg
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 04:34:02 AM »
A friend of mine is a biologist, studying genetics and evolution in orchids.  He found a study in the literature recently about nematode (simple aquatic worm) evolution.  Nematodes have really short lives so they are good to study so that you can see what happens over many many generations in a reasonable period of time.  

Anyway, two populations of the nematodes were studied.   One population was raised and maintaned with everything they needed to flourish-ample food, good water quality, vitamins and minerals, optimum temperatures and light etc.  The other population was very stressed-barely enough food, sub-optimum temperatures etc.  The worms were sampled at various intervals and their DNA sequences analyzed to see what the mutation rate was and what kinds of mutations were occuring.

At the end it was found that the nematodes that were raised in the abundant environment had a large number of mutations, many of them causing pretty obvious defects.  Mutation rate in the stressed population was quite low.

Lots of hypotheses and theories to draw (and I'm paraphrasing the heck out of the paper), but some of his students paralleled it to the abundance that we have in western society.  I know that people aren't worms, and that extensions from animal studies are dangerous, however considering that the DNA in worms is structually the same as humans (same atoms in same basic arrangement) it's an interesting thing to ponder.

I know that my "abundance" has certainly kept me from developing the skills that Fig listed earlier, and if my glasses broke and couldn't be replaced I'd be eaten by something pretty quickly (or I'd kill myself in an accident).
Experiment with a chemist!