Author Topic: We are running low on Purple Heart medals  (Read 610 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
We are running low on Purple Heart medals
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:28:31 PM »
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/ww2-stockpile-of-1-5-million-purple-hearts-is-now-running-out-originally-made-for-the-invasion-of-japan.html?fbclid=IwAR26phY2SvWrWtXH2jMrHF8zw88HXDeTf_o9UzqDsNWA3gjkcFmCd0gvLPU

We have to make more Purple Heart medals. Because the 500,000 that were made for the invasion of Japan are finally running low.  An enormous number, considering that the Heart is not awarded to personnel who are killed. So the war planners thought we might have up to 500,000 wounded in an invasion of the Japan Home Islands.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: We are running low on Purple Heart medals
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »
considering that the Heart is not awarded to personnel who are killed.

Say what?  Those killed in the line of duty are absolutely awarded them.

Quote from: wikipedia
The Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the president to those wounded or killed while serving, on or after April 5, 1917, with the U.S. military.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/ww2-stockpile-of-1-5-million-purple-hearts-is-now-running-out-originally-made-for-the-invasion-of-japan.html?fbclid=IwAR26phY2SvWrWtXH2jMrHF8zw88HXDeTf_o9UzqDsNWA3gjkcFmCd0gvLPU

We have to make more Purple Heart medals. Because the 500,000 that were made for the invasion of Japan are finally running low.  An enormous number, considering that the Heart is not awarded to personnel who are killed. So the war planners thought we might have up to 500,000 wounded in an invasion of the Japan Home Islands.

Technically correct but the medal is still awarded to the next of kin of those killed, so it doesn't affect the number awarded.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
Technically correct but the medal is still awarded to the next of kin of those killed, so it doesn't affect the number awarded.

If it is awarded to the next of kin, it is awarded. How can that not affect the number awarded?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
Is this a problem?  Can we outsource their manufacturing to China?   Taiwan?  India?

I do recall their was tons left over from WW2 .... but if we're running short,  make more.

When I run low on milk,  I buy more.   It isn't quantum physics. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero