Author Topic: Digital Tire Gauge/Inflator Recommendations?  (Read 935 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Digital Tire Gauge/Inflator Recommendations?
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
I want to get a digital tire pressure gauge so I don't have to wear stupid reading glasses just to check tire pressure. I've noticed these dual pressure gauge / inflator gauges popping up on Amazon during my searches:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG250-Compressor-Accessories-Resolution/dp/B07528LFCT/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544296943&sr=1-7&keywords=digital+tire+pressure+gauges

The above is just an example. Apparently you can use these by themselves OR hook them to your air compressor? I could dig that since I usually use my present tire gauge to confirm pressure in my tires whenever I use my compressor. My compressor is old and has one of the old style gauges, so I'm always doublechecking the accuracy with my stand-alone gauge (analog dial, very accurate, but the numbers are dinky). If I could just tie one of these digital gauges right into the compressor OR use it stand-alone, that would be the cat's meow.

If you all have any recommendations on brand or type though, that would be cool.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Digital Tire Gauge/Inflator Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
I got one of those small digital tire gauges.  Stuck it in my car's  glove compartment.   Many moons later went to use it ..... dead as a door nail +  battery had leaked oily goo everywhere.

I don't recommend them.

Get one cheap pneumatic piston type that requires no battery.  If you have trouble  seeing the numbers.....get a magnifying glass ....  the kind without a battery .... =D

Edit:   I see the one on Amazon.  Maybe OK.  still .....  battery powered ..... ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
I just use the analog Harbor Freight version. It's worked for years. Half the time it hangs on the end of my house reel. No batteries,  large gauge, pretty bullet proof.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pistol-grip-tire-inflator-with-gauge-68270.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »
I just use the analog Harbor Freight version. It's worked for years. Half the time it hangs on the end of my house reel. No batteries,  large gauge, pretty bullet proof.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pistol-grip-tire-inflator-with-gauge-68270.html

The analog gauge I have now looks very similar to that (lightning deal, so it was like $12).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JWKOY5U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Despite the bright looking gauge in the image, the hash marks can be hard to see for me in poorer light without my reading glasses. It's hell getting old...

I don't really care about a battery since the gauge will just hang out in my shop. For BFE, I keep a plain jane pencil gauge in the glove box.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
The Astro is a good one, in fact their tools in general are very good

I use a Milton inflator at work, because I could get it with a 15 ft air hose for safety with the big tires
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
There's an analog  gauge on my 12V cigarette-lighter pump.  I just know while I'm standing there watching it on the ground where the needle should be when I'm at 35psi.

I got several of those pop-out pencil gauges for free from various places for the initial pressure checks, and know where they're reading by how far out the rod sticks.  (Bearing in mind that pressures vary quite a bit depending on immediate conditions.)

I really don't see a need for that much precision in ordinary driving.

And I keep in mind that battery operated devices rarely actually shut down when "off," and the batteries are still being drained while they're in the drawer or on the shelf, resulting in that electrical goo getting all over.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »

And I keep in mind that battery operated devices rarely actually shut down when "off," and the batteries are still being drained while they're in the drawer or on the shelf, resulting in that electrical goo getting all over.

While I've had my share of alkaline battery leaks, I've never once had a rechargeable battery leak on me.

While I don't see a need for 0.10psi accuracy, I do like 1.0psi accuracy for modern vehicle tires.

I can't really use a cigarette lighter air pump. As it is, I'll be needing to get a higher psi compressor with a bigger tank when I move. I do like the time savings of setting a gauge for the psi I want and just having it take care of things. I still do it the old fashioned way.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
Personal preference.

I once surrendered to the siren song of a digital caliper. As has been noted, those things continue to draw power even when "off." What I found was that the caliper ate batteries at a prodigious rate, and it was ALWAYS dead when I wanted to use it. It's like the measurement equivalent of an inkjet printer. I bought a Harbor Freight Tools dial caliper and never looked back.

Yes, you may just leave it in your shop, but you'll get awfully tired of having to replace the batteries every time you want to use it. And the cost of the batteries will quickly outweigh the cost of the device.

Just like an inkjet printer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »

I once surrendered to the siren song of a digital caliper. As has been noted, those things continue to draw power even when "off." What I found was that the caliper ate batteries at a prodigious rate, and it was ALWAYS dead when I wanted to use it. It's like the measurement equivalent of an inkjet printer. I bought a Harbor Freight Tools dial caliper and never looked back.

FWIW, that's one of the big differences between Chinese knockoff stuff, and the real thing. Battery draw when off. I have two pairs of Mitutoyo digital calipers, and the batteries last for years. The one in my reloading kit I've only changed once since I bought it used in 2004.

Of course you can buy a lot of batteries for the difference in price, but it is what it is.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
Been using this one for a little over 2 years now.  Batteries have not leaked or needed to be replaced yet.

I'm very happy with it. Charge it under a lamp for a minute, and if you're airing up your tires after dark the dial face will glow in the dark.  I get a bit anal about tire pressure.  I air up at night after I've been home long enough for the tires to cool. The glowing dial helps.

This is a 0-60 psi gauge, which is what you want for tires with an psi recommendation of around 30 psi.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.