Author Topic: Let the pirate pity party begin  (Read 805 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Let the pirate pity party begin
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/16/somali-teen-pirate-sentenced-to-33-years-in-prison/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk3%7C201745

Poor, poor, pitiful me.

Mommy sells milk in the market and Daddy has a herd of camels and a herd of goats.

I'm just a spoiled little rich lid led astray.

Maybe when he gets out in 33 years and 9 months his homeland will have improved.  Maybe. [/cynicism]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Let the pirate pity party begin
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
The other way to look at it is he doesn't have to go back to Somalia for 33 years!  Sort of a win-win really.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
The other way to look at it is he doesn't have to go back to Somalia for 33 years!  Sort of a win-win really.

And he gets fed three times a day!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Comment on there:

"Wow, 33 years! Free food, free medical care, free clothing for 33 years. That has to be better than living in Somalia. Expect to see hundreds more streaming into our prisons (aka "paradise" to the Somali's)"

Yeahhhhh.... that's what I'm expecting to happen, actually. Dang. Precedent was set, oh well. What happened to hanging someone when they're caught red-handed (see what I did there? :D) and are a pirate? It's one of the VERY few cases where the death penalty makes sense, which I am normally 100% against.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »
I think I'd take US Federal prison over Somalia.
Look, tiny text!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »
Precedent was set....

From another point of view, the precedent could be "you have a 25% chance of getting fed for the next few decades, but a 75% chance of becoming chum." I seem to recall 3 of his compatriots getting shot in the face for their troubles.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »
The scum will probably earn a PhD while he's in prison, and return to become president of Somalia.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
I think this would be a could case for "High altitude repatriation".
Round trip, non-stop "training" flight for the air crew. Fly over offenders home country, open door, eject offender over his home land.  A few multi-language fliers added to explain the situation.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams