Author Topic: Firefly TV show  (Read 34562 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Firefly TV show
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone who put in a plug for Firefly. I received the series CD set for Christmas and have watched two disks so far... 7 episodes.

The first episode was a little stiff, but the show has really drawn me in. My wife likes it, too.

Now to try some Pyrat rum and lots of other APS suggestions.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Firefly TV show
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:32:18 PM »
I got the same DVD set for Christmas, plus the Serenity movie.

I watched the movie last night. 

:O

Now I'll have to watch the series.

BTW, I received the complete Firefly series boxed 4-DVD set twice.  I have a spare set now, thanks to non-communication amongst family members.

Anybody interested in it before I try to send it back to Books-A-Million?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
Anyone who isn't sure if they'll like Firefly can see it on Hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/firefly
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »

Anybody interested in it before I try to send it back to Books-A-Million?

PM inbound !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »

Movie was excellent, series, I think, is even better. Did you catch the Forbidden Planet trib? The crashed shuttle on Miranda was marked "C-57D"...that made me grin.

Oh, and if you liked the depiction of a spaceship in atmosphere in the movie (That was a painful-looking flat spin!), you'll love the first ep. "Think you can do a Crazy Ivan?" :lol:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:27:07 PM by Manedwolf »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:23:28 PM »
"BTW, I received the complete Firefly series boxed 4-DVD set twice.  I have a spare set now, thanks to non-communication amongst family members."

Hehehehe...

The Mtnbkr family got me the boxed set of Band of Brothers for Christmas. Unfortunately, I already have it. Chris just plum forgot that I got my Dad's copy when he passed.

Darned nice gift, but I'm going to exchange it for something else. I've had my eye on a bunch of stuff for awhile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
I am watching the pilot episode on Hulu right now.  Good stuff so far.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »

You are SO backwards. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Jeez, that was a darn good pilot episode.  Now I have to watch the rest of them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Doh!  You watched the end before the beginning!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »
*yawn*  This thread is SO 2006.   :laugh:

Welcome to the club, enjoy your new addiction.  =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
I am still waiting for the videos of Fox execs self-flagellating themselves in penance for completely horking up the series scheduling and then canceling it. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
Serenity is on Sci Fi tonight, 1/03/09.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »

You are SO backwards. 

Don't be too hard on him.....I'll bet you watched the last three (in series order) STAR WARS movies before you watched the first three....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »
They are the middle three episodes, and I hope you are not serious.   =)

I saw the Firefly DVD set at Borders tonight.  For $50.   :O

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »

As of last night, Amazon had the series for $19.99
Hi.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 12:17:14 AM »

That's a crazy price. I got mine for $17 at Target a couple of years ago. $40 was the price at Best Buy.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 12:42:22 AM »
You guys are just now getting around to watching it!?  :O
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:33 AM »
They're poor, benighted souls, freak...  :laugh:
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »
I'm always behind on the latest fads.  Gotta make sure the stuff is good for the unwashed masses before I try it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »
Does anyone here have a full 1080p setup and if so have you picked up the bluray version of either Serenity or Firefly? 

I'm wondering if it will be worth getting it on bluray once the LCD is delivered, or if the upconverting my tv will do would be sufficient?
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 03:30:58 AM »
I am still waiting for the videos of Fox execs self-flagellating themselves in penance for completely horking up the series scheduling and then canceling it. 

With more and more "on-demand" type services happening, there might be a chance that network executives will become obsolete.

With on-demand there is no need to schedule a show on a given night. No need to make a cetain amount of money from a particular timeslot. No worrying that a show is third or fifth or 17th in it's time. Therefore that whole aspect of programming a network disappears along with the execs that ran it.

If you know exactly how many downloads there are of a given show you will know, in real terms, how many people are watching and will be able to sell advertising based on hard numbers rather than this guesswork that goes on now. I've been a Neilson ratings drone twice and I can tell you that as hard as I tried to be accurate it was impossible to journal everything watched, the times, date etc. So I think that aplies to most other rating families out there as well.

So good-bye to the high-preists of the network temple and their crystal balls diving who is watching from what demos and what that means for advertisers.

With pay-per view on-demand a (with ads or not) you know exactly how much money a show is making, connect that to merchandise sales and you know how well the show is doing. So as long as it is making enough of a profit or looks like it will continue to increase viewership there would no reason to pull the plug.

With on-demand there would be no fiddling with air dates like what happened with Firefly. You could watch in whatever order you wanted, the official (or unofficial official) website would give the order they meant them to be seen in, but it would be totally up to you. Some nitwit netwank could claim to know that the audience would be confused by the proper order of eps and demand they be changed around but with all the eps existing on a server somewhere they could not make people watch in that order.

To sum-up: With no scarcity of viewing times there would be no reason to keep around the people who controlled those times. Decision making about which shows survive will be decentralized and taken out of the hands of a bunch of non-creative MBA types and put into the hands of producers and viewers.

Of course a show would have to look like a good investment to pull in the starting money but maybe instead of relying on a network to front the cash the producers could go to the public at large and ask for donations or sell "shares" and thus have 1000's to millions of folks pony up a small amount each. I would have paid, Hell, I WILL pay 5-10 bucks an ep for a season of Firefly if I had to. Contrast that to what I'd be willing to pay for a "reality" show. $0.

Mutant Enemy was paid one mil per ep for Firefly, that is 100,000 people at $10 apiece, and I think it had more viewers than that. Though I have no way of knowing how many would have paid for the show. Assume 250,000 would have and you have four dollars a person or $88 a year. I'd be willing to support one or two quality shows in a year at those rates even knowing I get nothing out of it except the show. Of course the more folks that get interested the less each has to pay. You get to 5 mil and that is $4.40 a year for a show like Firefly. That is a great deal. Or maybe advertising pays half or more, even better. Funders might even get exclusive swag and invites. The more "shares" you buy the more love you get back from the production company. It might even work like how the Stock Market works with dividends and such.

Networks would be reduced to...I don't know. Maybe just places that rent out soundstages and backlots and other production facilities.

This is how I hope TV evolves, anyway.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »

Lucas has alread said he won't do anymore SW movies that take place after ROTJ...  :mad:

...and yes, I'm serious....I'm as serious as you are....

:P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »
Is George Lucas burning in hell yet?  :mad:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
Lucas has alread said he won't do anymore SW movies that take place after ROTJ...  :mad:

Isn't supposed to be a nine-part arc, though?  Not really a Star Wars geek, so...