Author Topic: Firefly TV show  (Read 34561 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Firefly TV show
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »
I've heard that, too.

I don't really buy it, given the quality of the prequel movies.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »
Some people at Lucasfilm were apparently wanting to do a BSG-style series about the other X-wing pilots, the ones who weren't the Jedi. Ones like Wedge, whom you see just being a calm and excellent flier in both SW and ROTJ. Basically that whole squadron, the ones who come in, leave, some are killed, some stick around. You'd have gotten to see today's FX technology doing X-wings fighting TIE fighters and Star Destroyers.

If I got to see ILM's current tech doing a hardcore space battle with X-wings, I'd be off the couch with my mouth open, staring.

Lucas said no. He loves his Revenge of the Phantom Clone Menace wooden characters and boring political dialogues. He really thinks that's good, it's why he did that Clone Wars animated movie that completely bombed. As one critic said, they'd never seen anyone so willing to completely destroy their own legacy.

There's so many good stories coming out of other authors, in other mediums. There's another new novel out by Michael Reaves, Death Star, that is quite good. It's all the people behind the scenes that you never saw, their stories.

Ever wonder at stuff that's believable, like whether the port and starboard turbolaser crews on a Star Destroyer are akin to real Navy crews, whether they compete to see who can return a "ready to fire" to the bridge the fastest, and keep a board of their times? Or what a gunnery chief with a perfect record would think when told he was being assigned to what he called "The biggest gun ever built", or the horror when he has to pull the lever that destroys a world, but does so anyway? That's all in there. So is the story of a doctor who doesn't want to be there, a double-ace TIE pilot, a designer who knew about the exhaust port, even the owner of one of the thousands of contract-hired cantinas on board. The writer takes you through such fascinating things as what it's like to be part of a TIE launch, vivid imagery from the cold air to the smell of chilled lubricants, and how the pilots know that, despite what the commanders say, the fighters aren't all the same, a nick here, a scrape there, a slightly tighter way of turning that lets them know which is which in the rotations. It made me smile, because it made it real.

It took a movie from 1977 and expanded upon its events in a wonderful manner. You know what that blockade runner is that Vader's destroyer interdicts over Tatooine, you don't need to be told. You see the events that led up to that interception, finally. You learn how the plans got where they were to be stolen. The original dialogue is heard in parts, and then the conversations before and after it.

And Lucas would never allow it to be brought to the screen.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:48:32 PM by Manedwolf »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »
Jeez, Maned, you just sold a copy of that novel to me. Excellent description.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »

Me too.  I love that kind of stuff.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Maned, you working on commission?  =D

I think I'll get that book, too.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
That's funny.  It made me want to watch The Phantom Menace again.   :lol:   Am I the only one still waiting for the Jar-Jar Binks television show/novels/RPG/video game/clothing line? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
My local Target is selling the Firefly DVD collection for $ 24.99.  I just bought it, primarily because the collector's edition says that it has three unaired episodes, which I did not find on Hulu.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:46 PM »
Dude!  Some great episodes in there!  Cunning hats and such. 

Be assured you are greatly envied, for you are still discovering new episodes of Firefly.  Wish the rest of us could.   =(

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »
Lucas has fouled hi own nest with the three last turds.  Then he messed with the original three. 

I won't even more than mention that abortion of an Indiana Jones movie last year...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »
Ever wonder at stuff that's believable, like whether the port and starboard turbolaser crews on a Star Destroyer are akin to real Navy crews, whether they compete to see who can return a "ready to fire" to the bridge the fastest, and keep a board of their times? Or what a gunnery chief with a perfect record would think when told he was being assigned to what he called "The biggest gun ever built", or the horror when he has to pull the lever that destroys a world, but does so anyway? That's all in there. So is the story of a doctor who doesn't want to be there, a double-ace TIE pilot, a designer who knew about the exhaust port, even the owner of one of the thousands of contract-hired cantinas on board. The writer takes you through such fascinating things as what it's like to be part of a TIE launch, vivid imagery from the cold air to the smell of chilled lubricants, and how the pilots know that, despite what the commanders say, the fighters aren't all the same, a nick here, a scrape there, a slightly tighter way of turning that lets them know which is which in the rotations. It made me smile, because it made it real.

Anyone else thinking about that little conversation in the movie "Clerks"?  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFKhV_X6-cg
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »
Anyone else thinking about that little conversation in the movie "Clerks"?  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFKhV_X6-cg

i'm with the roofer. the independent contractors would have known of the rebellion and would have taken the job understanding the risks. in other words it was their stupidity that got them killed.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »
It were a military target.  Nuff said.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
It does say something that the stuff written by others is by far the best.

Lucas is a great idea man but not so much of an artist.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »
For awhile, it looked like he was going to do the "right thing": he kept a VERY tight rein on the timeframe of the prequels, not wanting anyone to mess anything up (y'all remember "Splinter of the Mind's Eye"?). Had many people thinking he was gonna do something really cool and revolutionary.

Instead, he took a franchise that he had jealously guarded, and peed all over it. Kinda like having the Ferrari from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and one day deciding to rub it down with steel wool and repaint it with Kraylon...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 01:59:41 AM »
And all with the excuse that they are movies for kids. I was insulted when I heard that, because it was not mainly kids who spent the money to make him a billionaire. It was the rest of us who loved the universe and bought the books and the merchandise.

So to say that they are just movies for kids tosses all the rest of us into the dumpster.

The upshot being I have not spent a dime on SW stuff since the pre-quels. And I didn't even see the last one in the theater, I think I waited like a year or so to see it on video.

I am thinking about getting the Death Star book though....from the library.

Maybe he won't let others have a go because he thinks it will diminish his efforts.

Lucasfilm could put out a live action SW movie every year and they would make money pretty much for decades. There are so many stories that could be told it would take decades just to scratch the surface.

There could be a whole channel of nothing but TV shows set in the SW universe. 24/7/365 of nothing but fresh programming and they would not come close to exhausting the story potential.

With all that material out there and most of better than what he did he would compare unfavorably with the other artists. Though as the creator of the universe I cannot see why that would bother him so I'm probably off base here and there is some other reason he won't let go.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/187269/

Kyle experiences a nightmare in which the rape incident is revealed to be about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which he saw earlier in the summer. He was appalled to see George Lucas and Steven Spielberg "rape" Indiana Jones, in the sense that the latest Indiana Jones movie did an injustice to the earlier films. Other boys similarly are going through a tough time after having witnessed the "rape" alongside Kyle themselves. Jimmy, commiserating by the lake, sees a similarly depressed Stan, and the two converse about the incident, and as Stan is leaving, Jimmy tearfully calls out to him that he cannot pretend things have not changed. Later dream sequences by the boys are more literal in their interpretation of the term "rape".

At the same time, Kyle visits the Park County District Attorney and asks him to arrest Spielberg and Lucas for raping Indiana Jones. The attorney initially dismisses the case as rubbish, even after Stan, Jimmy, Clyde and Kenny come to back Kyle up, but when they make him relive the rape in his mind, he tearfully agrees to help them. The attorney and the boys go to the Park County Police Station and try to convince Sergeant Yates to find Lucas and Spielberg, but Yates refuses, as he never saw the movie, which shocks the boys. After another policeman admits he did see the movie and relives the rape in his mind, Yates agrees to help the boys bring down Lucas and Spielberg.

In the closing moments, the police find and take away Spielberg and Lucas, right as the two directors are literally raping an Imperial Stormtrooper. The two are taken off to jail despite their protests over a lack of evidence and the huge totals they have brought in at the box office.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
Isn't supposed to be a nine-part arc, though? 

That's what all us SW fans thought, too....and we thought the story was supposed to be about LUKE Skywalker, too....until George told us different....  :mad:

Is George Lucas burning in hell yet?  :mad:

Hell for George Lucas would be having the entire SW saga given over to Joss Whedon.....but I'd be OK with that....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
Death Star, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry...Steve Perry's writing books now?  ;/
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »
Death Star, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry...Steve Perry's writing books now?  ;/

He'd written a few. The book is more Reaves' style. What Perry brought was something he'd done in others, a depiction of an original, but realistic martial art that seemed to be related to Pencak Silat. Which isn't a bad thing. When you can actually "see" the fight in your head, the economy of movement, and strikes and blocks and steps make sense, that's a more enjoyable read.

Samurai Penguin

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »
I am still waiting for the videos of Fox execs self-flagellating themselves in penance for completely horking up the series scheduling and then canceling it. 

They did it on purpose.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »

Indeed. Very nice.

I've always been in  the odd boat of finding the SW movies mildly entertaining at best (Mark "the whining little idiot" Hamill as the main hero figure really turned me off the series) with the exception of Han Solo. However, I really enjoy a lot of the Expanded Universe stuff for the reasons Maned mentioned.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
I think we're talking about Steve Perry. =p
I went ahead and ordered the book, too.  $7 isn't bad.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »

Holy cow, me to. Must... buy... now.  :O
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
I'm 12 chapters into Death Star and it is a great book.

It was nice to have explained why Vader's armor/life support suit looks so out of date. Also there is a short scene with Vader and Tarkin that is a call back (call forward?) to Vader's "And...?" from the first movie that shows up in a lot of Youtube videos. I like those little touches.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »

edit:  to add, the new three films are rubbish, and it didnt help having a wildly popular computer game series demonstrate what good storytelling in the Star Wars universe looked like (I of course refer to KOTOR).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:56:03 PM by agricola »
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"