Author Topic: Firefly TV show  (Read 34560 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Firefly TV show
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
Lucas said no. He loves his Revenge of the Phantom Clone Menace wooden characters and boring political dialogue.

Some people like the new films. I'm one of them. Seeing that RotS grossed eight hundred million dollars I'm not alone.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

agricola

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
Some people like the new films. I'm one of them. Seeing that RotS grossed eight hundred million dollars I'm not alone.

Burn the witch!
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »
Of course why build a Death Star at all?

Just hollow out a moon or chain some asteroids together.

And do you really need a super laser? Mass driver + big rock + good aim = planetary destruction.

And on the Rebel side, instead of sending waves of fighters at the DS why not just throw giant space rocks at it?

Also, with all of their medical knowledge why don't they live to be a least 100's of years old?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
Also, with all of their medical knowledge why don't they live to be a least 100's of years old?

They, err, do.

"Ani! You've grown so much!"

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »
^^^ YET ANOTHER THING that pisses me off to no end.  She ages six months.  He ages from seven years old to TWENTY FREAKING FIVE.

I honestly think George Lucas will be sad when he dies, as he won't be alive to piss on his own grave.   :mad:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:52 AM »
Oh, don't worry 'bout that! I would HAPPILY pour some fine vintage meade over his grave (after correctly filtering it through my kidneys)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2009, 12:40:05 AM »
^^^ YET ANOTHER THING that pisses me off to no end.  She ages six months.  He ages from seven years old to TWENTY FREAKING FIVE.

I honestly think George Lucas will be sad when he dies, as he won't be alive to piss on his own grave.   :mad:

How about how Kenobi ages a lot more than 20 years in 20 years? Good timeline planning.

I found exactly one cool thing I can think of in the prequels, and it barely got any screen time at all, and wasn't even explained. It took later novel writers to do it.

Darth Maul's seriously badass ship, the one that looked like a TIE on steroids. It was, according to the novels, an armed courier designed by the same person who designed the cheap-to-make TIE fighters later. A guy who kept a private museum of his competitor's failures bought at auction to walk amongst, to remind himself of his own fallibility.

Because, you know. That could be an interesting character and story element.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:50:11 AM by Manedwolf »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
Han shot first !!!   ;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »

That actually makes perfect sense to me.

The universe probably has some anti-aging stuff avaialble. Obviously they won't stop the development of a child, but a young lady like Padme could very well decide she's at the peak of her beauty, and use the treatment to stop her aging.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
That actually makes perfect sense to me.

The universe probably has some anti-aging stuff avaialble. Obviously they won't stop the development of a child, but a young lady like Padme could very well decide she's at the peak of her beauty, and use the treatment to stop her aging.

Did that also cause the brain damage that turned her from a capable courtesan and politician to a disappointing weak female stereotype?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
Did that also cause the brain damage that turned her from a capable courtesan and politician to a disappointing weak female stereotype?

You dare to question the Queen/Senator?

Don't make us sic Jar Jar Binks on you...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
They, err, do.

"Ani! You've grown so much!"
Anakin's longtime abuse of steroids and human growth hormone made him an easy convert to the dark side.  :lol:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
Anakin's longtime abuse of steroids and human growth hormone made him an easy convert to the dark side.  :lol:

I saw Anakin in those movies.

If he was hitting the 'roids.... he was doing something SERIOUSLY wrong. ;)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:04 PM »

That's what happens when your supplier is Jar-Jar.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 04:25:47 PM »

Maybe not......Jedi robes do hide a lot.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »
In the books they make no mention of life extension. In fact in Death Star an aging docotr is described as being near 70 standard years. So what is it? Are their years longer than ours? A disconnect between the "reality" of the SW universe and what the authors write?

In the Zahn books Han, Luke and Leia were all shown to be aging.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »
According to Lucas the books are less canon than the films, so to speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Canon#What_is_Star_Wars_canon.3F

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
According to Lucas the books are less canon than the films, so to speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Canon#What_is_Star_Wars_canon.3F

But there is no indication that one is supposed to assume some ex machina age slowing tech in the movie. That's just something you pulled from the nether regions to try to make Lucas look less stupid. Hardly canonical.  :laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »
But there is no indication that one is supposed to assume some ex machina age slowing tech in the movie. That's just something you pulled from the nether regions to try to make Lucas look less stupid. Hardly canonical.  :laugh:

MINOR DETAIL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
It's one half Lucas' fault, one half the audiences, IMO.

He is a terrible director, but an excellent producer. If Irvin Kershner hadn't been at the helm of The Empire Strikes Back, and the technological limitations (and money/budget of the original Star Wars) of the day hadn't reined Lucas in a bit, the first three would have stunk just as much as the prequel trilogy.

The other thing was is when the first Star Wars was being made Lucas wasn't "god", Hammil, Ford, and Fischer all just threw themselves into it. Alec Guinness was the revered actor and whatever he did was considered golden, they and the rest of the crew was able to give him pushback and grief when he went off the deep-end. Cristensen and Portman and McGregor were reasonably big names, but Lucas, by that point is the biggest thing in Hollywood, bar none. If he says, "Deliver that in a dead monotone like it's a bunch of housewives on Valium reading the TV Guide aloud on Public Access Cable in Topeka Kansas at 3am..." you do it, no questions asked.

The other factor of course was a bunch of Gen-X late twenty and thirty-somethings thinking the prequel trilogy would wow them as much as the first one's did when they were four years old, then nine, and then thirteen. Your level of taste is a bit different then...

Honestly, if they'd started with "Attack of the Clones", and made the third movie between "Revenge of the Sith" and "A New Hope", and never had Midichlorians or Jar-Jar, and Portman and Christensen were replaced with actors who'd not take Lucas' direction literally, the prequel trilogy would have been mostly worthy.
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
The other thing was is when the first Star Wars was being made Lucas wasn't "god", Hammil, Ford, and Fischer all just threw themselves into it. Alec Guinness was the revered actor and whatever he did was considered golden, they and the rest of the crew was able to give him pushback and grief when he went off the deep-end. Cristensen and Portman and McGregor were reasonably big names, but Lucas, by that point is the biggest thing in Hollywood, bar none. If he says, "Deliver that in a dead monotone like it's a bunch of housewives on Valium reading the TV Guide aloud on Public Access Cable in Topeka Kansas at 3am..." you do it, no questions asked.

It is known that at one point, Ford yelled at Lucas, making him rein in the technobabble, ranting that "You can WRITE this s___, George, but you can't SAY it."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »
See,  I think that the new trilogy is awesome.

I didn't like the first one because I liked the dark taverns, extensive universe, and other stuff that Manedwolf likes – and I understand why that is cool, but that's not the coolest thing to me about the movies.

I think of them like films about epic, unreasonably epic, adventure. Remember that whole Death Star thing? Remember how Han says “Besides, attacking that battle station ain't my idea of courage. It's more like... suicide”? And then he comes back at the very last minute and saves the day? Remember “ this is your last chance; free us or die”? THAT.

This is the sort of stuff that the new trilogy provides in spades. Remember the scene in the arena? That.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:08 AM »
This is the sort of stuff that the new trilogy provides in spades. Remember the scene in the arena? That.

You mean the "sightlines? We don't need sightlines" CG fest.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2009, 03:57:40 AM »
You mean the "sightlines? We don't need sightlines" CG fest.

What's a sightline and why do I need one?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »
What's a sightline and why do I need one?

When people who have any sense of direction do greenscreen, they are careful to establish points so that it looks like the human beings on the set are actually making eye contact with the CG-placed alien when speaking to them, or looking at what they're supposed to be looking at. If there are two characters supposed to be looking at the same thing, and they're looking at different points, you can't fix that in post production by moving the object. And that happens a number of times in the prequels, repeatedly.

Lucas was horrible at it. He just didn't know how or didn't care.