Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 40462 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 07:50:16 PM »
Watched my VHS of the show today.
Perty good show.  Yes, the Glock had a safety ???  Our hero in the tank at the end shoots the zombie tanker with a Beretta, then removes the mag and racks the slide....thus tossing out a good round, except there was no sound of it hitting the metal tank.
Did anyone get the name of the black man who took the deputy in after he left  the hospital?
Duane.
Remember George Romero's 1968 classic, Night of the Living Dead?  Who was the lead in that, anyone here recall?
Duane Jones ...  who died in 1988 after going to a teaching job at a college.
I wonder if that was an homage to Duane Jones? .....  ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
an old friend of mine bought a new glock, then paid over one hundred dollars to have a safety put on it!? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Why not just buy a 1911 then??

I thought he used his revolver to shoot the zombie in the tanker, the last round he was going to shoot himself with b4 entering the tank, I commented to my friend that he should have searched the helicopters and military humvee's for weapons/ammo but Jason said I should shut up because I always gripe about those plot holes
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 12:06:12 AM »
an old friend of mine bought a new glock, then paid over one hundred dollars to have a safety put on it!? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Why not just buy a 1911 then??

I thought he used his revolver to shoot the zombie in the tanker, the last round he was going to shoot himself with b4 entering the tank, I commented to my friend that he should have searched the helicopters and military humvee's for weapons/ammo but Jason said I should shut up because I always gripe about those plot holes

I'd have checked to see if the M1 still had gas in it.  At the very least, it'd be a good way to get out of the city.

And if he'd gotten really lucky, it'd have been equipped with canister shells.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Iain

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »
Quite liked it. I'm sure the comic opened with the scene by the petrol station, but I'm not sure that really worked on TV. Would have preferred it to be linear, there was only about fifteen minutes without zombies in the beginning if that scene was removed.

Quite creepy at points, the mother for instance. The half torso managed to almost be sympathetic.

Lot of hype about this one, between this, Boardwalk Empire and next year's Game of Thrones, there could be some decent telly.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
Quite liked it. I'm sure the comic opened with the scene by the petrol station, but I'm not sure that really worked on TV. Would have preferred it to be linear, there was only about fifteen minutes without zombies in the beginning if that scene was removed.

Quite creepy at points, the mother for instance. The half torso managed to almost be sympathetic.

Lot of hype about this one, between this, Boardwalk Empire and next year's Game of Thrones, there could be some decent telly.

I watched the first episode on Hulu last night before going to bed. (Probably a mistake, but I didn't have any related dreams, so...) The peephole scene was EASILY one of the freakiest I have ever seen. Rare combination of horror and emotional impact.

This will probably be the most extensive piece of zombie lore to appear on the screen yet. I'm still waiting for the mother of all zombie epics from Correia.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Watched. Loved. Creeped out the wife throughougly.
Some inconsistiences in the production, but it handily beats dancing with the stars....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm a fan too. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
Watched. Loved. Creeped out the wife throughougly.
Some inconsistiences in the production, but it handily beats dancing with the stars....

Wife likes it, I'm kind of so/so about it so far.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
And if he'd gotten really lucky, it'd have been equipped with canister shells.

That would be of only limited use. Also, the commander's machinegun has been shown to be empty.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
I'd have checked to see if the M1 still had gas in it.  At the very least, it'd be a good way to get out of the city.
Doesn't look like an M1.   

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the M1 Abrams doesn't have a hatch on the bottom. (I dunno . . . any tankers here?)

Batteries still worked - it was pretty bright inside the tank. Spacious, too. But maybe the tankers ran out of gas and opened the hatch . . . others left, one was zombiefied and stayed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
We saw a dead tanker poking out of the commander's hatch.

What happened, I think, is that one of tankers got bit/scratched, and went zombie on the crew. There was a race to get out. Guy in the commander's hatch clearly lost the race.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
We saw a dead tanker poking out of the commander's hatch.

What happened, I think, is that one of tankers got bit/scratched, and went zombie on the crew. There was a race to get out. Guy in the commander's hatch clearly lost the race.

Not possible.  They don't go zombie until the bug kills them via fever.  They rise from the dead as a zombie.  They don't "go zombie" all of a sudden.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
if you get killed you reanimate

things other than bites kill

the tank is a chieftain, I gather thats what they could rent in Atlanta
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »
After looking at this thread I'm a little peeved that we don't really know how this thing started. Did the book give more details?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:59 PM »
if you get killed you reanimate

My understanding is that you have to be infected first and the infection is deadly as well.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Not possible.  They don't go zombie until the bug kills them via fever.  They rise from the dead as a zombie.  They don't "go zombie" all of a sudden.

Chris

And can you not see a tank crew being too stupid/emotional/dedicated to abandon a sick/injured buddy?

It's about the only way I can imagine a tank crew letting a zombie bite them without there being a MAJOR fight first.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »
And can you not see a tank crew being too stupid/emotional/dedicated to abandon a sick/injured buddy?

Yes, but I read your statement as if the process were more immediate such as shown in the old zombie flicks.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
We've already established that the writers didn't care to research a ubiquitous handgun, and ther's an argument about disposition of a tank crew?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
"With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are dying...

In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a..."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »
here is canon on the first book of The Walking Dead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPq3s3RdxI&feature=related

Iain

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
"With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are dying...

In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a..."

Great song. Takes me back to being 13.

Second episode wasn't so strong. I'm not drawing a comparision in terms of content (although they were escaping in ep2 and there is an actress in common) but I suspect this is going to be on a sort of intelligence/script/production values par with Prison Break. Not the best telly there is, but very good.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
In the comic, were the zombies climbers, runners and tool users? I did not get the impression from the comic that was the case but in episode 2 they were.  ???
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
The biker guy is a meaner version of Francis from Left 4 Dead.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
...were the zombies climbers, runners and tool users? ...in episode 2 they were.  ???

I noticed that as well.  Most of them behaved as typical, slow stupid zombies, but some were quite capable.   That was certainly different.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
Perhaps ability is a function of how bad off the brain is at the time ...
Hard to say.  We don't know what caused this.  In some earlier zombie films even bodies fairly badly decomposed could come back.  Perhaps a fresh-dead zombie with more intact brain cells makes for a better, more able zombie than one that's been in the ground for a few months ....  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero