Author Topic: Computer privileges revoked - permanently!  (Read 40387 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Computer privileges revoked - permanently!
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »
His daughter was bitching on FB. He Killed the computer.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Computer privileges revoked - permanently!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:06 AM »
I guess having a flair for the dramatic runs in the family. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »
A man after my own heart. 
The only fault I could find with his presentation was the lack of a reload.

Neither one of my kids thought dad new anything about computers when we got our first PC. I guess the fact that I built from parts didn't mean anything.
Had a few issues with my daughter when we first went on line, she was 16 and getting a little trampy on chat boards, till I logged into the chat room she liked and had her hitting on me posting as a teenage cowboy.
My son thought he was a pc guru Got pissy when I grounded him from the 'net and passworded our one pc thinking it would keep me out, he'd never used DOS.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
my kids gonna watch this today  i wanna see what she thinks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »
Does he also open his daughter's mail?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:09 AM »

'Scuse me?  Isn't Facebook supposed to be public?  Why else would anypne post every errant thought they have and tell the world where they are moment by moment?

Most children have the exact same thoughts about their parents and how put-upon they are as the young lady in question, but most children have either the good sense or the lack of ability to share those thoughts so broadly.  Rebelliousness and the desire for autonomy are all part of the process of growing up.  And I', willing to bet that daddy's "attitude" did not just spring up - rather, she was aware of his basic values from some time ago.  And if not, she should have been from about three months ago when she was previously grounded for putting some stuff on Facebook that displeased him.

If anything, dad seems to be too quick to throw his money around without thinking.  Seriously, "exploding hollow point bullets"?  At $1.00 each?  A first I thought it was this stuff http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product_info.html&setup=1 but according to their catalog those go for $2.00 per round.  (Maybe he got a discount at Cheaper Than Dirt?)

But just guessing from what I could see of the farm, the clothes and the hat, he seems to be able to afford both the "exploding hollow point bullets" and the laptop.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
Other then the spectator's "Yeah he shot stuff!!!!" factor I'm not impressed.

Not really sure what lesson his daughter can be expected to take from this.  Piss off Dad and he'll shoot/destroy your stuff?

While I'd be pissed if I had read that note about me, I have to say that 16 YO's badmouthing their parents and thinking life is unfair is hardly a new thing, nor is it confined to Facebook.  If he's expecting this to teach his daughter never to say mean things about him behind his back, I've got some disappointing news for him, and I don't even have to be a parent to know it.

I'm not seeing anything approaching actual parenting* in the video. The 16 YO girl  had a temper tantrum, then a grown man had a temper tantrum, and thanks to the internet we can see them both not learn anything.  Yippee, I guess.

* I should mention that I can only imagine how stressful a teenager, much less a teenage girl is to live with.  I don't expect parents to be calm and collected at all times, but if you're going to lose it for a little bit (which is understandable) don't post it on the net and pretend it's good parenting.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:06:39 AM »
'Scuse me?  Isn't Facebook supposed to be public?  

Have you... ever used Facebook?

There is such a thing as friends-only and other limited-access posts. In theory I could even make posts limited to be seen just by one (or two) other people, or block a person from seeing them (as in this case).

My FB stuff is friends-only, for example (although I am sure it is possible to bypass that).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
"pay-pay you for chores?" =D

just gave my daughter a little talk this morning so i can fully sympathise.  makes me think we need to move somewhere very remote to remove the bad influences.

it must be nice soft dirt.  around here i would be afraid of ricochets with the amount of rocks in the soil.  not to mention he's a little close to the neighbors and the road for my comfort.

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
He didn't look anything like my father.......................

BUT he sure as *#*#*  reminded me of him!!!!!   >:D >:D

Wow.   :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »
Terms like "drama queen" and "runs in the family" come to mind.  I'd rather that 'puter get a thorough memory scrub then donated to one of the many deserving individuals or organizations within easy reach. 
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »

Would that be bad?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
Would that be bad?

At age 16?  I think it would be indicative of serious problems in the parent/child relationship.  So yes.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
Vindictive over-reaction.

"Hey, honey, I saw your little letter to me.  Wanna talk about it?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »
Have you... ever used Facebook?

There is such a thing as friends-only and other limited-access posts. In theory I could even make posts limited to be seen just by one (or two) other people, or block a person from seeing them (as in this case).

My FB stuff is friends-only, for example (although I am sure it is possible to bypass that).

I bet when daddy was upgrading the daughter's laptop he opened a web browser.  I will also bet that the daughter had her password saved to login to facebook in that web browser and that is how daddy got to the post.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »
I bet when daddy was upgrading the daughter's laptop he opened a web browser.  I will also bet that the daughter had her password saved to login to facebook in that web browser and that is how daddy got to the post.

Ayup.

I do the IT in the household and that is par for the course.  Wife & I use passwords on our laptops and the desktop, though, as kids have no business being on  net-connected PC unsupervised.

Would that be bad?

Not really.  Wife & I both open each others' mail.  We're family, 'nuff said.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
'Scuse me?  Isn't Facebook supposed to be public?  Why else would anypne post every errant thought they have and tell the world where they are moment by moment?

Most children have the exact same thoughts about their parents and how put-upon they are as the young lady in question, but most children have either the good sense or the lack of ability to share those thoughts so broadly.  Rebelliousness and the desire for autonomy are all part of the process of growing up.  And I', willing to bet that daddy's "attitude" did not just spring up - rather, she was aware of his basic values from some time ago.  And if not, she should have been from about three months ago when she was previously grounded for putting some stuff on Facebook that displeased him.

If anything, dad seems to be too quick to throw his money around without thinking.  Seriously, "exploding hollow point bullets"?  At $1.00 each?  A first I thought it was this stuff http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product_info.html&setup=1 but according to their catalog those go for $2.00 per round.  (Maybe he got a discount at Cheaper Than Dirt?)

But just guessing from what I could see of the farm, the clothes and the hat, he seems to be able to afford both the "exploding hollow point bullets" and the laptop.

stay safe.
I bet he is just talking about the HP bullets bought at the local store.  Hornady and others are often $20 for the 20 round boxes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
kid computer is tied in to second monitor in my room.  big brother is always watching
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
kid computer is tied in to second monitor in my room.  big brother daddy is always watching

FTFY.

Right now, all PCs are in "common" areas.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »
Dad is a *expletive deleted*bag.

He needs to speak with his daughter one-on-one.

Bitching on the internet and shooting her laptop is a waste of time, ammunition, and a laptop.

Looks like the acorn fell close to the tree.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Dad is a *expletive deleted*bag.

He needs to speak with his daughter one-on-one.

Bitching on the internet and shooting her laptop is a waste of time, ammunition, and a laptop.

Looks like the acorn fell close to the tree.

But not first time daughter did something like this and talking didn't seem to work then.  I say good show.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »
Heh, while a bit dramatic I have no problem with this.

If I did something stupid, things got taken away. If I did something stupid with something enough, it got taken away permanently. Don't want your laptop shot? Don't go all uberentitledbrat on facebook about daddy.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Admit it though, everyone of us wanted him to open that laptop up so we could see the damage those HP's did to it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
Admit it though, everyone of us wanted him to open that laptop up so we could see the damage those HP's did to it.

I wanted to see if it would boot.  Looks like he missed the battery, but may have hit the hard drive.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
Didn't wait for the shooting. Dad's vocal skills get on my nerves and his behavior reminds me a lot of my ex when he got bent out of shape and uppity over something retarded.

She is his kid, not a carbon copy. Her letter makes the parents sound like slave drivers, he makes her sound like the laziest kid in the world.
I'd bet that the truth lies smack dab in the middle.

Parents get on teenagers nerves, teens get on parents nerves. Parents ACTING like teenagers is not the way to handle the issue.

At 16, that letter is mild (he should be thankful it was that mild) and she is old enough that he should be able to trust her (and if he can't then HE obviously screwed up) and give her space to vent to her friends without feeling the need to butt in.

Teens talk trash about their parents. Get over it and move on.
 ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds