Author Topic: Computer privileges revoked - permanently!  (Read 40387 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Computer privileges revoked - permanently!
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
It's not difficult. You said children are not subject to parents' whims. Then you said they are. Translation: you're confused.

Do you understand the difference between what is moral and what is practically the case?

In practice it is possible for a parent to exercise whims with very little limits, morally it is still wrong.

Property is a moral issue first, a legal issue second, and a practical issue only a distant third.

Yes, in practice parents can seize the property of their offspring, indeed this is usually legal, it remains morally wrong, especially in the case of young adult offspring.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »
Property is a moral issue first, a legal issue second, and a practical issue only a distant third.

you have that reversed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »

you have that reversed

A fascinating insight.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
a practical one
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
I cannot face-palm hard enough to deal with what I have just read.

Well that makes two of us.  At least. 

It is beyond obvious that I'm neither defending the abuse or neglect of children, nor making the patently false claim that such is legally or morally acceptable. Maybe that's why I said almost unlimited discretion. Why, it's almost as if I made that clear from the start.  And why would I claim that it's ok for parents to be capricious or cruel? That is obviously not my point, either.

Didn't say you were.  Actually, kinda' said you weren't, at least impliedly.

My point was that it's not "almost unlimited discretion" it's "almost unlimited discretion within the context of parenting the child."

But other than that, yes BR and MB, you are correct. Parents do not tell children when to sleep and when to wake up. Or what to eat or not eat. Or what to wear. Or where they can go, or how long they can sit in their room using the MP3 player they just bought or received as a gift.

What part of "in their capacity as parents" was unclear?

Seriously, though, I could see the moral issue with destroying something that a child has earned or been given as a gift. But merely taking the item away doesn't qualify as stealing. Maybe if the item were destroyed, or sold for the parent's profit, or for the parent's selfish use.

Yeah, I kind of said that. 

Also, not everything a parent provides to a child is given as a gift. Assuming so muddies the waters a bit.

I said that too.

I get that you've your little Zomg! Micro's a loony civil-rights-for-extremist! thing going on here, but I'm not sure why you're including me in this, considering how in attempting to  refute what you appear to think I said, you've pretty much repeated everything I said.

PS: I actually do agree with Micro re teens and property ownership, albeit in perhaps a less clear-cut way.  Stylistic difference there; I don't like hard lines much of anywhere.  But that opinion is not what I expressed earlier.  I was stating a simply, generally accepted test for distinguishing between acceptable parental actions re kids' property and unacceptable, non-parenting-related actions re kids'.  Where one comes down in this discussion depends on parenting philosophy, on which reasonable minds can differ.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »
It's obvious we're all talking past each other, where one person is talking about morality, and the other is talking about legality, or about what qualifies as good parenting. I don't know if it's all worth sorting out.

Yes, in practice parents can seize the property of their offspring, indeed this is usually legal, it remains morally wrong, especially in the case of young adult offspring.

I think this is where we actually disagree, both in terms of how we define "adult," and in our view of the rights of minors.

I get that you've your little Zomg! Micro's a loony civil-rights-for-extremist! thing going on here...

People inferring heated emotion from my calmly-worded posts is getting really old.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife