Author Topic: Computer privileges revoked - permanently!  (Read 40381 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Computer privileges revoked - permanently!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Teens talk trash about their parents. Get over it and move on.

True enough, but there's a difference between talking trash with your friends and posting your complaints for the world to read.

I was expecting to hear much worse from her, as in some mention of recent sexual exploits, so the complaints about chores and such seemed mild.

The guy is a strict father, and if the daughter survives, she'll likely be better off because of that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
^^

Thank you, bluestarlizzard
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
True enough, but there's a difference between talking trash with your friends and posting your complaints for the world to read.

I was expecting to hear much worse from her, as in some mention of recent sexual exploits, so the complaints about chores and such seemed mild.

The guy is a strict father, and if the daughter survives, she'll likely be better off because of that.

Not nessasarly. Overbearing parents can do as much damage as no parenting.

And posting that video and shooting the computer is definatly overbearing, in addition to decending to her level.

Why don't these people actually TALK to their kids?  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »
LOL... that girl is SO going to marry someone her dad positively hates, become a stripper or turn a lesbian.. whichever is worse in his view.

IMHO poor use of a firearm. Makes firearm owners look dumb, angry and impulsive.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »

in addition to decending to her level.

Why don't these people actually TALK to their kids?  ;/

This is what got me about the situation.  The guy is "parenting" a child by acting like a child.  Throwing a online tantrum because your kid did is remarkably immature. 

It is interesting to hear him complaining about how spoiled the child is, and how the child has so little responsibility. Gee, I wonder how that came to be.   ;/
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
You do realize she had done something like this before right?  They tried talking to her, didn't work.  Watch it again, he mentions her being grounded for something VERY similar.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
You do realize she had done something like this before right?  They tried talking to her, didn't work.  Watch it again, he mentions her being grounded for something VERY similar.

Nope. I saw that too.

So, when I was a teen I learned some neato tricks. I was forced by my mother to attend multiple conselers and shrinks.

One conselor got very upset, and thus focused, on my foul language. I picked up on this in the first session.
Guess what I did the rest of my sessions?
Even my mother came to the conclusion that this women was a moron. By getting fussy over a small issue that was not relavent, she wasted a whole lot of time that could have been spent doing something useful.

The lesson here is pick your battles.

This guy is going overboard because his kid is ranting about parents going overboard. He is escalating the situation and doing so over something that's minor and stupid.

The best part is, now, when she rants about her parents being a**holes, she's actually got a point.

You are not going to stop your kid from badmouthing you. Prooving that it pisses you off is just going to increase the volume.
If you ignore it, or say, "hey, so you are ticked at me? Unfortunatly, since you didn't come to me and talk about it, then you can just be ticked. Have a good night." you can stump them and maybe redirect their energy.

Remember the thread about the dad who beat his kid with his belt, and I said the kid was intentionally pushing the rage buttons?

This is the same thing. Teenage girl is pushing buttons to get a reaction. She probably has a pretty good idea what pushing those buttons would result in, and she got it.
Now she gets to sit back and get sympathy from all her little friends about how horrible her parents are and how bad she has it, reenforcing her beleif that her dad is such a jerk.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »
   http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152   

Dad has put a responce to the public opinion over his video.

I don't buy it.

Dads in deep kimish, he just doesn't know it yet. Teenage girls are evil.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Well, he IS right about one thing; anything he says to a TV or radio twit will be twisted into whatever it takes to make him look like a jackwagon.

And it's kimshi, not kimish.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
Well, he IS right about one thing; anything he says to a TV or radio twit will be twisted into whatever it takes to make him look like a jackwagon.

And it's kimshi, not kimish.

OK, I'll give him that.

(and I see what you did there  :P )

Lee

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
I'm sure it felt good...but that's another matter.  Putting this family issue in public was definitely the wrong thing to do.  You'd think an "I.T. guy" would have a simpler solution to that problem.  I'd love to be one of his clients though -he could shoot my freakin work pc any day.  I'd help..."you're the expert dude...my hollow points don't explode much though". 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
8 minute rant was tl;dr

he should of tossed it in a chipper or maybe ran it over,
shooting the kids online brain was a poor choice

that could easily be seen as a direct threat
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
Dad acted like a kid and went far overboard. This will not solve any problems with girl other then to possibly induce fear in her about him. Sure laptop was his, but destroying it was stupid. Either lock it up or sell it. Lesson imparted: dads a violent dumbass with control issues.
Look, tiny text!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
http://youtu.be/VbANUIagvcw

The only issue with that arguement is that they had the kid in the first place. He's not "allowing" his kid to do these things. He's obligated.

But, yeah, parents don't have to give their kids nice toys, just provide shelter, food, basic medical care and education'

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »

He IS a jackwagon,

Based on the evidence presented in this video, he looks to be a punitive controller who has no respect for the boundaries of an adolescent girl; and will resort to destroying property in a rage to intimidate her. 
He's so wrapped up in his exaggerated sense of self, he can't see his daughter.
It's all about control with this asshat.

The mere fact that he posted it on You Tube and hijacked her face book account shows he's deep in his narcissism. 
This has nothing to do with his relationship with his daughter. 
He's embarrassed and angry at the FB post - I'll give him that - it had to hurt.

He's forgotten who the adult is.  He is the adult.  He is held to a higher standard than a 14 year old girl.
Sure - teenagers don't get it about life and responsibility.  Tell us something we don't know.
Ride it out with them and give them what they need - stability and consistency.

It looks like he's reaping what he's sown - A daughter who doesn't think much of him.
I say the lack of respect in that relationship was about equal, then big balls daddy had to up the ante.
And he's gone way over the top to make sure he won.

It's plain he's been losing his parental control over his daughter, and is quite resentful for paying for her computer upgrades.
Children should be paid for doing chores around the house.  It creates a sense of responsibility and autonomy in children to be rewarded for contributing.
What he described as her after-school chores is worth at least 10 bucks a week.
If he allowed her the freedom to be paid for her labor, she'd have her own computer and then not be under his control.
I'm sure that would be unacceptable as well to this guy.

His episode will push her further away very quickly, and at her age, I should hope so. 
Similarly to, I'm sure, the failed relationship with his ex-wife - alluded to in the video.

He went over the line by snooping into her personal stuff. 
It's not like he was looking for drugs or stolen goods or something illegal - he was looking for a reason to be pissed off about the 130 bucks he forked over for "software upgrades"
She posted because she was fed up with her butthead dad father holding it over her head every time he wanted a cup of coffee.

While his little tirade may make his gonads swell with testosterone, it has done nothing for his relationship with his daughter.
I hope he does better with his 6 year old boy, who is soaking all of this up.
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
"They tried talking to her, didn't work."

I suspect the truth is, "They tried talking at her, didn't work."

Jackwagon. 

And using a firearm like that, and bragging about the "explosive hollowpoints...."

= Jackwagon ^10

I am signing this one so everybody will know who posted it.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:55:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
"They tried talking to her, didn't work."

I suspect the truth is, "They tried talking at her, didn't work."

This is usually the case.

On a side note, when I commented on a fb post on this I was told that since I am not a parent I have no "meaniful" opinion about parenting, since I have no children.

Needless to say, the folks with this opinion think this dude is a great parent.  ;/

I have a feeling they also consider talking at their children to be good parenting.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:56 PM »
The sad thing is, our culture doesn't allow a parent to do what is necessary to most efficiently keep little 16YO nitwits in line(1).

From the looks of things, Dad is doing alright, providing for his family.  The ungrateful little sack just plain has no idea how good she has it and repeatedly slanders her family.  If she has it so unbearably bad, she can take her unemployable self and make her own way in life.

(1)  A single mom my wife worked with had a son with a similar case of cranio-rectal inversion.  She had some interesting stories about the lengths she, as a female, had to go to to keep a teen-aged boy in line and out of trouble.  After one outrageous incident where he made noise and action like he was going to try to get physical, she drags him to the local PD station and says something like, "You're going to have to arrest him or me, because I can no longer control him and next time I am going to hit him with a 2x4."  The old policeman looks at the 13/14YO son and says, "Son, there is not a grand jury in this county that will indict you momma for beating you with a 2x4. They know how hard it is for a single momma to raise a teen-aged boy.  She would have to pound nails in that 2x4 and hit you with it before she'd get into any trouble.  I suggest you mind your momma."  Nitwit teenaged boy was not exactly mindful after that, but he never made noise like he was going to hit his momma ever again. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
He IS a jackwagon,

Based on the evidence presented in this video, he looks to be a punitive controller who has no respect for the boundaries of an adolescent girl; and will resort to destroying property in a rage to intimidate her. 
He's so wrapped up in his exaggerated sense of self, he can't see his daughter.
It's all about control with this asshat.

The mere fact that he posted it on You Tube and hijacked her face book account shows he's deep in his narcissism. 
This has nothing to do with his relationship with his daughter. 
He's embarrassed and angry at the FB post - I'll give him that - it had to hurt...............

Perhaps he is, but trust me, a TV/radio twit will make him look far worse than what he is in life. 

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2012, 01:05:04 AM »
The sad thing is, our culture doesn't allow a parent to do what is necessary to most efficiently keep little 16YO nitwits in line(1).

From the looks of things, Dad is doing alright, providing for his family.  The ungrateful little sack just plain has no idea how good she has it and repeatedly slanders her family.  If she has it so unbearably bad, she can take her unemployable self and make her own way in life.

(1)  A single mom my wife worked with had a son with a similar case of cranio-rectal inversion.  She had some interesting stories about the lengths she, as a female, had to go to to keep a teen-aged boy in line and out of trouble.  After one outrageous incident where he made noise and action like he was going to try to get physical, she drags him to the local PD station and says something like, "You're going to have to arrest him or me, because I can no longer control him and next time I am going to hit him with a 2x4."  The old policeman looks at the 13/14YO son and says, "Son, there is not a grand jury in this county that will indict you momma for beating you with a 2x4. They know how hard it is for a single momma to raise a teen-aged boy.  She would have to pound nails in that 2x4 and hit you with it before she'd get into any trouble.  I suggest you mind your momma."  Nitwit teenaged boy was not exactly mindful after that, but he never made noise like he was going to hit his momma ever again. 

Sometimes it takes an extreme delivery to get an extreme message across.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24:16 AM »
And sometimes swatting flies with a sledgehammer is counterproductive.    =)
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Hint: Nothing.

*expletive deleted*bag Dad needs to try again.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
Dad could have dealt with her disobedience very quietly but chose instead to go public.  That said, the girl crossed a boundary that had to be addressed in an unforgettable manner.  Family matter are private.  Posting on FB may have been her way of telling her "friends" but dad took it as public ridicule and therefore felt justified in responding in a public manner.

He will have serious problems with her in the future; the nature of teenage girls is ironclad.  His attitudes need adjustment.  Somehow I think she will provide the adjustment much to her detriment. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »
Not overly critical of his intent, but he could have picked better methods....

1. Scrub & sell the laptop & cell phone. Put the money in her college fund.

2.  Keep the FB account, but lock her out of it. Post pics & status of her time while being grounded (doing chores, staying home on weekends, room w/o electronics, etc.). Let her "friends" see her punishment.

3. When she understands what she did wrong and is repentant, let her earn it back.

Shooting the laptop was stupid....making good on a promise isn't....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.