Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 18422 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
And Bloomberg does it again.....

http://nation.foxnews.com/bloomberg/2012/11/03/report-bloomberg-denied-national-guard-assistance-brooklyn-because-their-possession-guns?intcmp=fly#ixzz2BDXk6ys8

WHAT!

How can even Bloomie be so friggin' iggerant that he considers the National Guard to be "Federal" forces? Doesn't he understand that the NG are STATE forces unless and until called up for Federal duty? (I guess that's a rhetorical question, isn't it?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
The NYPD... Aren't they the ones who fired two mags at a single armed assailant an injured 9 bystanders while only hitting the target twice?

Be fair. They woulda hit 10 but they ran out of ammo. Anyway, NYC is perfectly safe as long as you don't reach for your wallet too fast.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »
I don't have any experience personally, but a friend told me once that when he was in a hurricane aftermath, there was a point where the Red Cross was selling blankets and stuff on one side of the street.  The Salvation Army was giving the same stuff away on the other side of the street.  Guess who I support.  I am sure the Red Cross does some good stuff, but IMO they are a bit too big.

On the other side of the coin, I am not sure what those people were expecting from the Red Cross.  

Friends will tell you all kinds of stuff.  I'm not sure that I believe this one.

Compare the salaries of the CEOs of the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. If you had any question as to which deserves your support, that should give you the answer.
+1
"It's good, though..."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
Day 8 and the power is back. And cable. Time to catch up on the walking dead tonight.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49646622/ns/weather/#.UJhjzny9KSM

Interactive before / after sideshow of satelite images
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
Friends will tell you all kinds of stuff.  I'm not sure that I believe this one.

Believe it.  My own personal experience (not Katrina) plus reports from those I know & trust who were on the ground post-Katrina as emergency relief workers - including two who packed up and left the ARC when instructed to collect money for blankets and comfort packs.  They walked over to the Sally Army and were welcomed as grunt labor hauling cots and blankets.

To be as fair as possible, I understood that the ARC was "asking for donations" rather than outright selling relief supplies.  My point of reference is that disaster "survivors" arw going to need all the cash they can muster for stuff that did not start down the pipeline as donated/donatable supplies.  No matter how you phrase it, asking for money for basics is just wrong.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.