Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 18419 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Could it be that there is no storm?  That it has been photo shopped onto radar and the media has been compromised by the pilots of the Black Helos and the engineers of the Black Train?  Could it be this is Obama's October surprise to take folks mind off of the election?

I'm warning you to be alert, don't be fool.....who's knocking on my door?  Hey, what are you doing here?  Leave me alo

Nah, Obama's hurricane joystick broke so he couldnt steer it towards the vanilla cities in revenge for Bush and Katrina.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
I was going to try to go into work today, but my options for getting there dwindled to driving in as the Metro has been shut down. Thanks, no thanks.
With the govt shut down, your drive in would be pretty easy I suspect.

I've also gotten all of my batteries charged, have several flashlights, have a couple of mini LED lanterns that put out an amazing amount of light for the power consumed, a propane lantern with a couple of bottles of gas, and I even have a couple of kerosene lanterns.
But do you have kerosene for the lanterns?  I have 6 gallons. :D

For cooking I have a quart of alcohol for my Pepsi can stove, and I have about 20 cans of sterno and a sterno stove. I can also use the flame spreader tip on my blow torch to heat soup and the like.
Gas stove FTW.  I also have a Coleman "white gas" stove with several gallons of Coleman fuel (and a "dual fuel" lantern if I need light).  Then there's the little backpacking stove with a new canister.  My camping gear doubles as Armageddon survival prep. :D

Speaking of cooking, I have the crock pot loaded up with a beef & vegetable soup. As long as we don't lose power before this afternoon, we'll eat well tonight. 

Heat I'm not worried about, as it's not going to go below 45 here during the storm. I have a big dog who will keep me warm if the power goes out and lots of fleece blankets.
I have 3 women in the house, if the interior temp drops below 70, the cacophony of whining will be epic.  I have the kerosene heater to make sure my ladies are comfortable.  ;/

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
I have 3 women in the house, if the interior temp drops below 70, the cacophony of whining will be epic.  I have the kerosene heater to make sure my ladies are comfortable.  rolleyes

must also have toilet paper!  lots!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Iain

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
3 women, up to 7 days minimums supply. I calculate that as a minimum of 21 rolls.

Dropped in to wish the soon to be affected the best of luck. Will be thinking of you guys.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
I have 3 women in the house, if the interior temp drops below 70, the cacophony of whining will be epic.  I have the kerosene heater to make sure my ladies are comfortable.  rolleyes

must also have toilet paper!  lots!

We're in good shape there.  Actually, we're in good shape all around.  The biggest problem we'll have is cabin fever.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »
Another part of the deal is it's coming ashore during a full moon when tides are highest. Pretty much all the stars have aligned to create about the  worst conditions you could dream up. Manhattan will most likely flood. The CT shoreline will most likely be washed away up to a 1/4 mile or more inland. Then all the rivers will back up and flood all the inland flood plains. One big mess. Starting to get some real gusts here now. Chief Range Officer just called and told me not to open the range tonight. I told him, "You know, I forgot all about it." lol
Avoid cliches like the plague!

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »
have well and septic pump.   plenty of room in tank 3 for a weeks worth of flushes using a bucket. last storm filled tub downstairs and we all used that bathroom . spoiled em they made me bring water upstairs this time so they don't have to go downstairs in the dark
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
"But do you have kerosene for the lanterns?  I have 6 gallons."

I have a big bottle of lamp oil. I doubt, however, that I will ever get to the point of needing to use it.

"Gas stove FTW."

Yes, I wish I had a gas stove. However, I don't.

"I have 3 women in the house, if the interior temp drops below 70, the cacophony of whining will be epic.  I have the kerosene heater to make sure my ladies are comfortable."

I've known you for almost a decade. I can say with 100% certainty that the ONLY male in your house is Harley.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
"But do you have kerosene for the lanterns?  I have 6 gallons."

I have a big bottle of lamp oil. I doubt, however, that I will ever get to the point of needing to use it.

"Gas stove FTW."

Yes, I wish I had a gas stove. However, I don't.

"I have 3 women in the house, if the interior temp drops below 70, the cacophony of whining will be epic.  I have the kerosene heater to make sure my ladies are comfortable."

I've known you for almost a decade. I can say with 100% certainty that the ONLY male in your house is Harley.

Oh, snap!

Re: Sandy

Epic failure on the part of the media.  The temperature here in Texas dropped into the 50's last night!  I mean, that's almost 20 degrees above freezing!  Where is our declaration of emergency, mister President?!?  Where's FEMA????
I had to wear a sweatshirt. 
Oh
the
hu
man
ity!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Well it started here last night in central west new jersey. Rain and win nothing major yet. I ran the extension cords to the house next store and across the street so my neighbors can run their sump pumps. The guy on the other side is out of the ground on one end so he does not flood. Everyone else is on there own. People on the dead end of the street run a cord to an outlet on the back of the fire house because they have a big generator of there that makes a hell of a racket.
Last storm the guy across the street and his son bailed all night. His son does not live there anymore.
Next store neighbors had about 8 inches in there basement. Not much damage because it is not finished and he picked up most stuff. But we like them and they usually have lots of wine in the house, so that makes them good.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »
Anyone here in the path?
All ready?

I removed all the lawn projectiles.
Tested the generator.
Tested and sharpened mister still
Stocked up on 35 gallons of gas.
Bought a big ars tarp and extra sump pump <- most likely getting returned.
GF bought water (really don't need it imo, put a bucket outside if you want water)
Picked up more beer and vodka. <- most important.

Did I forget anything?

Toilet paper, youcan't have too much, it never goes bad, and you have a woman with you.  So no matter how much you have, it's not enough.  Trust me on that one.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
Rev,

Have you considered putting in a shutoff to that bathroom in the main house?  That way all you have to then is drain the lines.  I'd still put in a oil heater just to keep the place "livable", but should the power go out, you won't have busted pipes.

Oh and
<------Chicago, still Hurricane; Tsunami; and large, hairy, Spider free for at least 40,000 years.  ;) =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
Toilet paper, youcan't have too much, it never goes bad, and you have a woman with you.  So no matter how much you have, it's not enough.  Trust me on that one.

Agreed.  And if you vacuum bag it, it's gets REALLY small (like 4x5x0.5" per roll)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »

Could it be that there is no storm?  That it has been photo shopped onto radar and the media has been compromised by the pilots of the Black Helos and the engineers of the Black Train?  Could it be this is Obama's October surprise to take folks mind off of the election?

I'm warning you to be alert, don't be fool.....who's knocking on my door?  Hey, what are you doing here?  Leave me alo

Are you suggesting that this could be a "wag the fog" event?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
Good luck to all of you on the East coast.

This is one of them times I'm glad I live in WI.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »
Watching reports now, and they showed live footage from Point Pleasant, NJ. Used to spend most every summer right down the street, that water's freakin high. I don't think I've ever seen it that high in those parts. Be interesting to see how high the water is at Seaside Heights where it's a little higher with a better wall and boardwalk.

10-11 foot storm surge AND waves on top of that make for a fun wall of water.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »
Pictures, mostly from NJ-

https://www.facebook.com/NewJerseyWeatherWorks?ref=stream

Bridge on there for Seaside Heights I have crossed many times, crosses a bay out to Seaside Heights and a few other locations. It's generally....a little higher above the water then that. Atlantic City is also mostly underwater.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
Rev,
Oh and
<------Chicago, still Hurricane; Tsunami; and large, hairy, Spider free for at least 40,000 years.  ;) =D

No you just have great fires.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »
I just had a pretty horrid thought, was debating not posting but, ehh....

After they de-water the NYC subway system, how many bodies of homeless and others are expected to be found down in the tunnels?  =(

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Slideshow of current pictures. The New Brunswick one is 10-15 minutes from the house I grew up in-

http://nj1015.com/share-your-storm-photos/

As for the Subway, dunno. Most of them probably moved up the greener pastures where it isn't likely to flood or to shelters. IIRC, they also seal up the entrances pretty well to reduce water damage.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
Showed the widey how smart I am. Moved my vehicles out of a likely treefall spot onto the lawn. She's all "Why you gotta put your trucks on the lawn?" and laughing at me and stuff. Friggin tree came down right where I said it would, but not on my trucks. She might FINALLY start listening to me now.  ;)

• friends
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
She might FINALLY start listening to me now.  Wink

video or it never happened

280plus

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
Best I can do is a still shot of the tree and the trucks not underneath it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
3 women, up to 7 days minimums supply. I calculate that as a minimum of 21 rolls.

Dropped in to wish the soon to be affected the best of luck. Will be thinking of you guys.

That's 21 rolls EACH just to be sure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:40 PM »
It's a mega-storm because a Nor'easter and hurricane have combined thanks to the goofy jet stream hook.

Snow in Tennessee.  Flooding in Virginia.

My fellow cheddarheads near Lake Michigan should look to the east - they're predicting wave heights of up to 30 feet.

Gordon Lightfoot comes to mind...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"