Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 18426 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »
Just thought I'd toss this in here...

Courtesy Sipsey Street Irregulars.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »
My folks in Va. are ok. Have some folks in NH, hope they're ok, haven't heard.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »
They're calling it a "post-tropical cyclone" now instead of a hurricane.  The winds are still just as strong.  I think the distinction is it now is drawing energy from a temperature gradient; it no longer needs warm ocean water to strengthen -- but maybe friction losses over land will slow it down.  (I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about)
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
My fellow cheddarheads near Lake Michigan should look to the east - they're predicting wave heights of up to 30 feet.
I'll be on the lookout, as I drive down lakeshore drive in milwaukee.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »

:O
Our CINC doesn't deserve to have command of men like that.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 09:38:10 PM »
Our CINC doesn't deserve to have command of men like that. live in a country like ours.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
80' pine down, thank god it fell away from the house. It is only 20' from the house normally. There is another one right next to it. Hope it stays I'll loose all the shade on my patio.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
We had some drizzle here in Richmond.  The streets apparently did not flood because there was not enough water to back up in the storm drains - the ones that empty into the river half a mile above the water treatment plant inlet.

I fully expect a flurry of complaints about the lane closures commuters had to endure as VDOT/DPW crews were mucking out the drains since there was no flooding.  A total watse of money, I tells ya!

But on a negative note - I was supposed to get some paperwork filed in the Circuit Court today.  The guy who had physical possession of the papers did not get his act in gear until lunchtime, when the Clerk had decided to close early "just in case".  It would have been nice if the deputies told us that before making us empty our pockets and darned nearly strip to our skivvies.  Oh, well.  A call to the court in the AM and then off to the courthouse ASAP if they are answering the phone.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »
Just thought I'd toss this in here...

Courtesy Sipsey Street Irregulars.
Very powerful image. It stands alone. Any explanation would be lost on ears already deaf.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
One 80' pine down, top 30 of the other gone, maple behind the shed down. Neighbor has two big trees down, one just missed my garden and the remaining plants. Our yard no longer has shade. Anyone think I can use the top as my Christmas tree?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

Except that is not a recent photo.  It's real, and soldiers have stood in worse.  But not from Sandy.

Name me one president in the last twenty years deserving of the position...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
^^^ Makes me wish I could take them a gallon of hot coffee. Each.

Got a text from Ex-MA a little while ago saying his power was out. I'll check in with him again in the morning. Heard from the daughter last around 9.

According to weather channel, 4.1 million people without power now. I've been watching NY state outage numbers all evening and they've been increasing by about 200,000 per half hour. All kinds of records being broken.

Latest prediction is a sharp turn to the Northeast, which puts it going right over my daughter, but with wind speeds of only 30, so much calmer. I haven't heard anything else about the mix of storms, but they're apparently having blizzard conditions in WV. If that moves north and follows Sandy, it's going to be a mess.

Guess kiddo's going to get that lesson after all.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »
Except that is not a recent photo.  It's real, and soldiers have stood in worse.  But not from Sandy.

Bush Sr.

Maybe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »
Except that is not a recent photo.

September 18, 2012.

More here: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-one-hurricane-picture-you-will-want-to-see-today-trust-us/

And here: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/25447106_rRDwDr#!i=2095593187&k=HSFLT2W

Yep . . . the next one won't deserve it either.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »
Just read one of the bog hospitals in NYC lost power & generator backups.  They are evacuating, staring with the SICU & NICU.  You can expect some deaths from that alone.  Heck, you'd expect deaths even if they weren't doing it in a hurricane.

Here:
http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-mayor-says-power-nyu-hospital-patients-being-024015139.html

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 02:31:30 AM »
Saw that NYC is dark. Heck the looting alone will probably outstrip the cost of Katrina.

I'd be curious to know why the emergency generator(s) failed at a hospital that big. I'd be willing to bet on it being a human caused failure rather than a weather caused. Lack of maintenance, improper maintenance or the like.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »
Report right now is that the storm surge at the battery (southern tip of Manhattan) was 14 feet. That breaks the record by 4 feet, NYU hospital got flooded, FDR is flooded along a good portion of it's length, and I think I heard them say there was Subway flooding. Among other things.

Started going dark around 8-8:30 when ConEd started turning stuff off, the entire grid basically runs through the subway and offshoots. Saltwater getting into the system while it was on would have been bad. According to the guy on FoxNews last night they'd have been talking weeks to bring things back online, rather then days if the salt water got in there with it still on.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 05:39:24 AM »
Oh and for the Facebook folks-

https://www.facebook.com/NewJerseyWeatherWorks?ref=stream

Lots of overnight photos. Including some fun ones from ground zero, subway, and lower Manhattan.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:50 AM »
Got a text from Ex-MA a little while ago saying his power was out. I'll check in with him again in the morning. Heard from the daughter last around 9.

Checking in and reporting for duty, y'all...power back, long night, couldn't use cpap...otherwise fine...it got windy and rainy....house shook....not all that epic....
One day at a time.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:20 AM »
50 homes burn in massive fire in Queens neighborhood.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2012/10/30/sandy-new-york-fire-floods/1668029/

This is why I really don't like high density neighborhoods. You know, the kind where the houses are so close together you can barely squeeze between them...hard to stop the fire spreading, especially when operating under conditions such as a flooded area.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
Wentwithout CPAP too. Used a "Breath Right" strip which seemed to help. Funny part, I wear earplugs to sleep as a rule because Mrs 280 chainsaws up about a cord a night. So last night she wakes me up and I can't hear a word she's saying so I quickly whip out an earplug.  She tells me to roll over cause I'm snoring right at her. The irony was thick I'm telling you, thick!  :rofl:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 08:24:23 AM »
I have to have a box fan running for me to be able to sleep. When the wife starts up her wood cutting operation I'll get out the earplugs as well. For some reason she gets pissed off at me when I get the ear plugs out.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »
Report right now is that the storm surge at the battery (southern tip of Manhattan) was 14 feet. That breaks the record by 4 feet, NYU hospital got flooded, FDR is flooded along a good portion of it's length, and I think I heard them say there was Subway flooding. Among other things.

Started going dark around 8-8:30 when ConEd started turning stuff off, the entire grid basically runs through the subway and offshoots. Saltwater getting into the system while it was on would have been bad. According to the guy on FoxNews last night they'd have been talking weeks to bring things back online, rather then days if the salt water got in there with it still on.
I wondering about that.  I guess y'all don't get storm surge from the hurricanes as often or as much.  On the wrong side of the storm maybe.  It is common for coastal towns on the Texas Gulf Coast to have minimum 15 foot levees or seawalls protecting them.  Storm surge can cause as much or more damage than the storm sometimes. 

My boss lives in a neighborhood with canals behind each house for sea water access, but each house is on stilts.  They are on the open side of the levees in the area.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
Our standard tide is 7-9 feet. In October and November during full moons, it's usually 10-12 feet. If a storm were to hit here at high tide, this time of year, we'd be screwed. Cat 5 prediction figures give a 29 foot storm surge.

But in reality, a flood is a flood. A house is just as uninhabitable after 3 feet of water as it is after 8 feet of water. And saltwater and electricity don't mix whether the lines are 2 feet submerged or 10 feet submerged.

The economic impact of this could be steep as well though. Some economic expert was on last night saying insurance would likely only cover half of all estimated damages. Also waiting to see if the refineries in the area were damaged - though my tin hat says they'll take advantage of the situation to raise prices whether they were or not.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
Also waiting to see if the refineries in the area were damaged - though my tin hat says they'll take advantage of the situation to raise prices whether they were or not.

Last Wednesday here in Central Ohio, gas prices dropped below $3 for the first time in a long time.  By Saturday, when the forecasts started indicating power outages and storm damage around here, prices jumped back up to $3.50 and higher.  Yet my friends in Cincinnati are saying prices down there are now down to $2.90.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark