Author Topic: Mars Hill church in turmoil  (Read 24755 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Mars Hill church in turmoil
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
ro-oster's #3 above went to a commercial first.  It was that online game commercial with Kate Upton riding a horse.  At first I thought he was referring to busty women as a MegaChurch problem.  =D :laugh:

......then the video played and ruined the idea. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
It is really hard to lump all Churches together when they are independent.  It is all who the pastor is and what tone they set.   The only complaint I see and hear about is way too much emotional content, but that can apply just as much to denominational churches.  I have visited some good ones though.  

I really dislike rock bands at Church also, but each to his own.  I gre up with more traditional organ music and older songs.  I visited one Church where all the songs were written by some member and I just didn't like it.  That and the pastor said they normally ask everyone to hug their neighbor (more incentive not to return).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Re: Mars Hill church in turmoil
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:34 AM »
2. Used the Song of Solomon to convince his wife to give him oral sex when she objected...and then subjected his worshipers parishioners attendees to a sermon on the topic.  This would be abuse of his pastoral office at the very least.

How-to topics are more appropriate to evening activities.  Do you have the link to the transcript, though?  This one sounds useful.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
How-to topics are more appropriate to evening activities.  Do you have the link to the transcript, though?  This one sounds useful.

Made the mistake and watched that one on youtube last year.  Convinced me that it is best to read the transcripts.  I am sure there is one out there.    Can't get to youtube here, but Driscoll's Greatest Hits are easy to find on Youtube.

And like nudist colonies, the reality is more cringe-worthy than most folks' notions. 

Drisoll's exegesis is crap and unless you are already a member of his cult of personality, you will be less impressed/convinced than those already drinking the kool aid.  So not as useful as you might think.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pb

• friend
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Driscoll was famous for nastily insulting men in his audience to curry favor with their wives:

An example:

"Father God, I pray that our time would be pleasing to you, that it would be profitable to us, Lord God, as well. I pray for those men who are here that are cowards, they’re silent, passive, impish, worthless men, they’re making a mess of everything in their life and they’re such sweet little boys that no one ever confronts them on that. I pray for the women who enable them, who permit them to continue in falling, those who are mothers and sisters and girlfriends and wives. I pray, Lord God, for those men who are chauvinists, those who are mean, who are brash, who are rude, who are harsh, who, Lord God, think they are tough when in fact they are Satanic. God, I pray for those men that they would have the courage today to not fight with a woman, but to fight with you, to actually find their rightful place in creation, that they might receive a good rebuke so that they can become honorable rather than dishonorable sons. God, I pray for my tone, I pray for our men, and I pray for the women who are listening in. I pray, Lord God, that they would know this comes from a heart of passion, deep concern, and love. I pray, Lord God, that we would think biblically, critically, humbly, and repentantly, and that, Lord God, there would be dramatic life change by the power of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus, Amen."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »
Driscoll was famous for nastily insulting men in his audience to curry favor with their wives:

Sounds like a real nice guy...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
Drisoll's exegesis is crap and unless you are already a member of his cult of personality, you will be less impressed/convinced than those already drinking the kool aid.

Well, I wouldn't be trying to convince myself to give me oral sex  If I could bend that far I wouldn't have nearly as much time to post on here...or to go looking for women more likely to fall for the argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
Well, I wouldn't be trying to convince myself to give me oral sex  If I could bend that far I wouldn't have nearly as much time to post on here...or to go looking for women more likely to fall for the argument.
Things I learned today:
KD5NRH wants his male member in a man's mouth.
KD5NRH wants to take a male member in his own mouth.
KD5NRH would prefer a combination of the above scenarios to seeking female companionship.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
KD5NRH would prefer a combination of the above scenarios to seeking female companionship.

Depends on how quickly and thoroughly she learns.

And you know full well you would if you could.  Ever met an intact male dog or cat that doesn't do it at every opportunity?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »
Well, this thread has certainly turned.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »

So, not from Nantucket?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »
Guy at work, I have on good authority from several trustworthy women, can do that. When word first got out he was dubbed Bingo.

It also led to more than one philosophical lunch time debate (not including him) if doing so counted as gay, or at least bi, or if it only counted as masturbation. I don't think a general consensus was ever reached.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
It also led to more than one philosophical lunch time debate (not including him) if doing so counted as gay, or at least bi, or if it only counted as masturbation. I don't think a general consensus was ever reached.

If you could do it, would you ever take the time to care?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2015, 07:34:37 PM »
2. Used the Song of Solomon to convince his wife to give him oral sex when she objected...and then subjected his worshipers parishioners attendees to a sermon on the topic.  This would be abuse of his pastoral office at the very least.

What I recall, perhaps incorrectly, was some discussion of the other sort, in one of his books.  Out of sight, out of mind, and I really don't care to know.  It's distasteful, for him to use that as an example.

Not unique to Driscoll.  Running men down is common in current Am. evangelicalism.  

Quote from: lee n. field
Dude's problem is not with his theology.

Quote from: roo_ster
His theology is suspect, IMO.

We may be using the term in somewhat different ways.  

Non-Denom Megachurchian Cult of Personality
1. Claims of extra-Biblical inspiration.

Driscoll had his own particular version of that.  Claims of special, God given knowledge of the sexual sins of others.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
Not unique to Driscoll.  Running men down is common in current Am. evangelicalism.  

I find Driscoll and everything he stands for distasteful. That said, it's common among American men to need some running down. Many of them are *expletive deleted*ing it up.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2015, 08:18:06 PM »
She should have tossed Luke 6:31 back at him
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
I find Driscoll and everything he stands for distasteful. That said, it's common among American men to need some running down. Many of them are *expletive deleted*ing it up.

I should have phrased that a bit differently.   "Running men down and pandering to women is common in current Am. evangelicalism. "  And I'm not just thinking about a scolding from the pulpit.

(This here, BTW, is probably the best I've heard on the subject: The Masculine Mandate.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.