Author Topic: Hooray! My New Logging Boots Came In!  (Read 13315 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Hooray! My New Logging Boots Came In!
« on: November 19, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »
Yeah, baybee!

My new Redwing logging boots came in, replacements for my finally-crapped-out Carolina logging boots.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1148

I put them on the first time and they were just plain right.  The Carolinas I had to fiddle with and find the right aftermarket insole.  These new puppies have the same insol as my other three pairs of Redwings.  No need for aftermarket insoles at all.

Steel toe, steel shank, 9" high.  I'll get them worn in a bit and then go after them with some Kiwi.  I also need some black boot laces.  Brown laces are Just Not Right on a black boot.
• Black Chrome leather loggers boot
• Durable, high-traction Vibram® Tacoma unit sole
• ASTM approved for toe impact and compression
• Electrical Hazard rated

I got them for 10% off 2007 prices.  Helps if you have bought three other pairs of boots from the same guy over the years and you introduced your buddy to him, who has bought five pair over the years.

Ought to last me many a year of hard work outside & hiking and will polish up fine for casual wear.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Hooray! My New Logging Boots Came In!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:14:06 AM »
Sweeeeet! Nothin' like a new pair of loggers.   =) 

I need a pair myself.  In fact, that boot looks like precisely what I need.  But since I also had to buy some new snow-shovelin' boots, I won't have any Red-Wing-level money.  Did get a good deal on some insulated snow boots, though.  I think. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LAK

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:30:44 AM »
I bought a brand new pair of 'roo leather Irish Setter Wingshooters at less than half retail on the EvilBay. I normally wear a 9 1/2; led to believe 'Setters tend to run small I ordered a 10. They fit like gloves, have the old style stitched welts, and are just superb.

I usually avoid buying footwear online, but knowing they are a perfect fit I bought a similar built pair of chukkas. There is something about a pair of well made leather shoes or boots; like a fine leather belt and holster etc, and footwear is something I am usually prepared to pay for the right stuff.

--------------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:39:38 AM »
Are Redwing boots good? Pricey aren't they?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:55:05 AM »
Are Redwing boots good? Pricey aren't they?

They are good.

Pricey depends.  Initial outlay relative to other boots?  Yup.  In terms of $$/time or $$/wear, they run cheaper than Wally-World boots.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:37 AM »
They are good.

Pricey depends.  Initial outlay relative to other boots?  Yup.  In terms of $$/time or $$/wear, they run cheaper than Wally-World boots.

Never owned Redwings, but I do wear danner boots-similar pricing, and yeah, over the years it's worked out to about 30 dollars a year for some really good quality footwear.

I just wish resoles were cheaper-they're getting up to almost half the price of the boot now; won't belong before it's simply more feasible to just trash that friendly old leather for a new pair.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Cobalt60

• friend
  • Always looking for Savage 6b and similar .22's.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »
They are good.

Yup. You get what you pay for. I tried the economy way once. Never again.
I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe... Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.
--Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »
Red Wing boots are superb.  I Went to Gander Mountain a couple of years ago to pick up some reloading supplies, and they had a huge sale on boots.  I normally won't pay more than $30 for footwear, but they had Red Wing Irish Setters for $40 (They were a discontinued model).

I grabbed my size 13's and when I got to the counter they rang up for $24.  Unfortunately I bought the only size 13; at that price I would have bought four pairs and been set for life.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:49:28 AM »
This is what I need next:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »
Redwings were all I wore for years as my work boots. Love em.

For hiking and backpacking the only boot I found that fit and felt right was made by Vasque. Turns out Vasque at some point was bought by Redwing, figures. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »
Thoooooooooose are lumberjack boots and they're okay... :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
Never owned Redwings, but I do wear danner boots-similar pricing, and yeah, over the years it's worked out to about 30 dollars a year for some really good quality footwear.

I just wish resoles were cheaper-they're getting up to almost half the price of the boot now; won't belong before it's simply more feasible to just trash that friendly old leather for a new pair.

Resoles run somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$75 for RW.  Either at the factory or a place in Texas.

$20-$30/year is what they cost me, initial purchase price-wise.  I probably use a tin of Kiwi per year, too.

I recall a pair of Wally-World work boots lasting me a whopping 5 weeks, one summer. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 01:01:14 PM »
Thoooooooooose are lumberjack boots and they're okay... angel

Took long enough, I was afraid I was going to have to get in this thread and start that.

...    I cut down trees. I wear high heels, Suspendies, and a bra. I wish I'd been a girlie, Just like my dear Papa... =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
He puts on women's clothing, and hangs around in bars?  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
Redwing is one of the best values in footwear.  A bit more pricey than the big-box store stuff, but they last darn near forever.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
Oh, He's a lumberjack, and he's OK!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »
Well, poop.  I just looked on the RedWing site and they no longer carry any style of wingtip.  Dang.  I knew I should have gotten an extra pair last year.  =|

On the upside it's time for a new pair of boots and they just remodeled the local store! =D

Brad
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:16:27 AM by Mike Irwin »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
For the record, I am not sure doing residential and commercial tree removal in urban & suburban areas during HS & college makes me a lumberjack, but I can assure you I wore no "high heels, Suspendies, and a bra." 

Though, since it was in the summers in Arkansas, I went commando. I hope that's"OK."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »
For the record, I am not sure doing residential and commercial tree removal in urban & suburban areas during HS & college makes me a lumberjack, but I can assure you I wore no "high heels, Suspendies, and a bra." 

Though, since it was in the summers in Arkansas, I went commando. I hope that's"OK."

[crickets... glancing at one another... strange looks]  =|

Ohhhh!  He's a lumberjack and he's OK! =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »

I understand your were Airborne?
It's true, then. There is something wrong with people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes.  :lol:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:54 PM »

That's ... well ... I'm not quite sure what that is.  But I am sure it's very, very disturbing.

Brad
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
As long as there were pants involved and not a utility kilt I'm cool with commando.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »
This is one of those threads that needs cleaned up.  :(  I can't believe we got into class warfare over somebody's high-end logger boots.  Logger boots, for cryin' out loud!  Yeah, I know they're getting really popular with the sculling teams, as they chat with their brokers about their Swiss accounts.   :rolleyes:  I'm gonna go buy an ascot and top hat for jfruser.  Black, of course. 

Edit:  This post and the following don't make much sense, since the thread actually got cleaned up.  Oh well.  I still enjoy the thought of a very proper gentleman, dressed for a night at the opera in high style, with black logger boots.  :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 01:26:17 AM by Mr. Tactical pants »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 05:24:04 PM »
I'm gonna go buy an ascot and top hat for jfruser.  Black, of course. 

Don't forget the cane!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
Actually, I think the monacle and cigarette holder are more important than the cane.