Author Topic: After all the questions about pickups and rental cars and trailers and...  (Read 7537 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
After all those questions, I"m in Missouri right now, with my Mustang. Didn't take the bike for the trip to Utah.

I feel bad about asking all of those questions and then not even using any of the advice, but the more I thought about the bike, the more I realized it was a bad idea. The bike is 22 years old, and it's spent time in a dealership on every one of the last three or so trips out west I've taken. This time the stator went before I could even leave.

Even if I'd trailered it or put it in a pickup truck. when I'd get to the southern part of Utah, I'd be 200-300 miles from the nearest dealership (Vegas, Flagstaff or Salt Lake City). And, the bike is now old enough that a lot of parts are special order.

So, I'm in a car. But it's a fast car with fat tires for going around curves quickly ;)

Thanks for all of the help.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Drive safe, have fun, and enjoy that Mustang the way it's supposed to be enjoyed: out of the garage!

Did I mention "drive safe?"

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
But, Doggy Daddy, everbody is doing 80-85. I have to go faster than them. ;)

Some guy in a Toyota SUV was on my bumper  ???, so I hit the pedal. Next thing you know I was doing 120 mph.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Drive safe, have fun, and enjoy that Mustang the way it's supposed to be enjoyed: out of the garage!

Did I mention "drive safe?"

DD

LOL, do want him to have fun or drive safe?

monkey leg, if you make it out to northwestern NV, holler!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Are you anywhere near Lake of the Ozarks?
Blog under construction

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends

Some guy in a Toyota SUV was on my bumper  ???, so I hit the pedal. Next thing you know I was doing 120 mph.

*heh*

That reminds me of the vacation SWMBO and I just got back from.  We went to Maui.  It was a package deal from Costco that included a rental car.  We almost left with the standard car that the package came with.  Had all the paperwork signed, keys in hand.  Then it hit us.  We're on vacation.  We're gonna drive the road to Hana, and our guidebook tells us that if you're not in a convertible on that ride, you miss half of the scenery.

So we rented a 2011 Mustang convertible instead.  There were a couple of times I let those ponies run...  And I went from about 25 to 80 MPH in about half a heartbeat flat.  Dang it was FUN!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Exploring the West on a Wild Mustang - what could be better?   =)

You coming up north at all  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
FYI, Strings' bike is in the shop for a stator  :laugh:

Have fun and don't get a speeding ticket.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend

Some guy in a Toyota SUV was on my bumper  ???, so I hit the pedal. Next thing you know I was doing 120 mph.

I didn't say "drive legal".  Driving safe, and having fun are not mutually exclusive.  And, sometimes, sticking to the law while those about you are doing their own thing is NOT "driving safe".  Thinking of the self-appointed hall monitor in the left lane doing 55.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
LOL, do want him to have fun or drive safe?

Smartass!  :lol:  Read above ^.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
 We went to Maui.  It was a package deal from Costco that included a rental car....So we rented a 2011 Mustang convertible instead.

You went from Oregon to Maui in a rented convertible?  Didn't you get a little wet?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

You hit the wrong pedal.  Actually, the handbrake is more fun.  Most fun is a hole in the floorboard and a good supply of random heavy junk.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
You hit the wrong pedal.  Actually, the handbrake is more fun.  Most fun is a hole in the floorboard and a good supply of random heavy junk. M80's

FTFY. But ya gotta go up to the reservation to get 'em.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
You hit the wrong pedal.  Actually, the handbrake is more fun.  Most fun is a hole in the floorboard and a good supply of random heavy junk.

And make sure you're wearing your special jersey and have an Obama bumber sticker on the car when you do it.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

Or riding in a rusty tub of crap, sitting above the exhaust, with a can of tranny fluid....just a few drops makes a nice smoke screen....

>:D

After all those questions, I"m in Missouri right now, with my Mustang. Didn't take the bike for the trip to Utah.

I feel bad about asking all of those questions and then not even using any of the advice, but the more I thought about the bike, the more I realized it was a bad idea. The bike is 22 years old, and it's spent time in a dealership on every one of the last three or so trips out west I've taken. This time the stator went before I could even leave.

Even if I'd trailered it or put it in a pickup truck. when I'd get to the southern part of Utah, I'd be 200-300 miles from the nearest dealership (Vegas, Flagstaff or Salt Lake City). And, the bike is now old enough that a lot of parts are special order.

So, I'm in a car. But it's a fast car with fat tires for going around curves quickly ;)

Thanks for all of the help.

There is a stretch of I 10 between San Antonio and El Paso where the speed limit is 80 already....lends itself to hauling ass, but its very boring.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Parker Dean

• friend

I remember back when I had my SuperCougar, heck even my LT1 9C1, being deep into the 100's and losing ground on the Interstate.

Wost thing I ever saw was a early-Eighties F150 with some teens driving passing me on the right as I was cruising at just under 110 (and getting passed on the left too) while their LF wheel was bouncing violently all the way up to the top travel stop and down in a frightening display of the Death Wobble. They exited where I was going to and I was gonna suggest they do themselves a real favor and at least put some shocks in the damn thing but they went left and I was going right.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Are you anywhere near Lake of the Ozarks?

Ditto.  If you come near KC, give me a ring.  I'll take you out for some BBQ or something.  =)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
At least this way Monkeyleg can tether to his cell and be surfing APS while he drives down...

LOOK OUT! :O
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
There is a stretch of I 10 between San Antonio and El Paso where the speed limit is 80 already....lends itself to hauling ass, but its very boring.

Boring until you find out just how fast a speck in the distance becomes a DPS Trooper when you're going 115.

Apparently, he was only ticketing people who were speeding and not observant enough to spot him until they passed him because he went after the guy going the other direction who didn't look like he hit the brakes at all until the lights came on.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
"You went from Oregon to Maui in a rented convertible?  Didn't you get a little wet?"

Nah.  He used Interstate Highway H-1.  Goes right into Honolulu.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:38:01 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
You went from Oregon to Maui in a rented convertible?  Didn't you get a little wet?

:D

I'm in CO right now. Had just enough rain the last half hour before getting to my motel to mess up the car. Oh well.

I've never been through Kansas before (it's a dry state, and I always had beer at the end of the day). It's a pretty state.

I'm just hoping there's sun in Utah for the time I'm there.

No tickets, but came close. Trooper on an overpass just sticking out of the trees enough to clock a car, then radio ahead to another trooper to pull it over. Sneaky.

Trooper in KS was sitting in the median so that traffic could see him for two miles coming in either direction. I think he was feeling lazy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
So did you leave the ball and chain at home and it's just you? Did you plan yourself an itinerary, or are you just kinda meandering to wherever looks interesting? One thing I've never gotten around to doing in my life is just throwing a bag in the truck and heading to direction "X" through multiple states just to see what I can see.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Drive safe and have fun.  As others have said, it can be done.  And if you still manage to get a ticket, at least make it worthwhile.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Ben, for the first time in 20 years I have something of an itinerary. I know where I'll be tomorrow night at least. I have rewards points from American Express and my business debit card, and those points are paying for the motels and gas. I have to book a motel a day in advance.

No wife. I like travelling alone. I enjoy my own company. Besides, my wife ticks me off too much, she has no desire to see Colorado or Utah, despite having seen both from the air ("It's just a bunch of rocks"), and she doesn't like even a long day's drive.

Tick-off example: I've been telling her all year that I was going to Utah in July. When we got a dog a couple of months ago, I said I was going to Utah in July. Three weeks ago I started working on the bike, and told her I was getting it ready to go to Utah in July. She called around to see if there was a pet day care center that could take the dog while she was at work and I was gone. There wasn't.

She thought her boss might allow her to bring the dog to work and keep it in her office. She'd need to talk to her boss, she said.

On Friday night--July 8th,repeat: JULY 8th--I said I'd be leaving on Sunday for Utah, as the weather looked reasonably good (even for July). She said, "what am I going to do with the dog?" I said, "you mean you didn't talk to your boss?" Nope. She hadn't. I said too bad.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
Nah.  He used Interstate Highway H-1.  Goes right into Honolulu.

I did not know that.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.