Author Topic: Gunfire OVER Miami ?  (Read 4437 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Gunfire OVER Miami ?
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
Just your basic low level military(?) choppers firing blanks as they exercise over Miami. I am not really sure what the purpose of training over a large urban area is for, especially with the firing of blanks, or simulated firing sound. I would think if they were really firing blanks, there would be some angry motorists along the highway, especially with the brass raining down on them. If I wore my tinfoil hat a little tighter, I would be worried a little more.  [tinfoil]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9ioCbqJCU&sns=fb

bob

Lee

• friend
Re: Gunfire OVER Miami ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
Downright strange. Maybe they've decided to reunite Miami with the US again.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »
.... If I wore my tinfoil hat a little tighter, I would be worried a little more.  [tinfoil]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9ioCbqJCU&sns=fb

bob

Maybe we both get our aluminum yamulkes tightened.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
freaky.......not to despoil a good conspiracy theory, but, aside from the general public, who would they be training for?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
Monster Control Bureau.

especially with the brass raining down on them.

Do we have samples?

My recollection is that blanks have the casemouth crimped closed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »
Topmost comment, from one Raymond Wilson:

ill say this much for you people....i was in the army for 8 years and my job was being a blackhawk helicopter gunner. never in my career did we EVER go into a populated city for any type of gun related training. i was stationed in savannah GA so u can guess that it was nothng but city. wed have to fly out a good ways to an aerial gunnery range to get qualified. if they are using blank fire over the city, its because they are preparing to fire on city dwellers.the army trains how it fights.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
Looked like the ones shooting were MH-6 of some flavor, unless of course the sound was misleading and another helo was the one firing. Possible unit on the ground firing since it was a coordinated exercise? Sounded like a .50 which I thought odd since I thought they little birds primarily mounted GAUs. The 60 had a refueling probe making an MH of some flavor so a specops aviation unit of some sort. Low level training over population? Too weird.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
Looked like the ones shooting were MH-6 of some flavor, unless of course the sound was misleading and another helo was the one firing. Possible unit on the ground firing since it was a coordinated exercise? Sounded like a .50 which I thought odd since I thought they little birds primarily mounted GAUs. The 60 had a refueling probe making an MH of some flavor so a specops aviation unit of some sort. Low level training over population? Too weird.

Spec ops usually keeps its training quiet......I'm going with show of force..... [tinfoil]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

GAU is non-specific.  Aircraft mounted gun/cannon not already having an "M-" designation (and some with) have a A/N designation (for the most part), in this case, GAU-.  GAU-2,8,12,etc come to mind.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
We need to all get involved with our city councils and the like, and start getting local ordinances passed to prohibit the local police from engaging in joint training exercises with the military.

I don't care if it's a tinfoil brigade training exercise, a tinfoil brigade show of force in response to "will not comply" marches all across the country last week, or well-intentioned practice scenarios to teh mooslim bombers who bomb at midnight... I don't like it one bit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:37 PM »
Is it too early to ask "What caliber for Blackhawk?"?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »

I honestly don't want to go there.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
Miamidushu ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
I honestly don't want to go there.

like,  never.....
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
freaky.......not to despoil a good conspiracy theory, but, aside from the general public, who would they be training for?

They are training the general public, desensitizing them to military choppers in action over their cities.

Why would they be training with our police?  Shouldn't they be training with, you know, police where they anticipate going?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgb9jG5HKM#t=1m38s

Nanana... nanana.... nanana....naNa.nana.naNa.nana.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »

Depends on your aim.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
Easy there, folks...   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »

Nanana... nanana.... nanana....naNa.nana.naNa.nana.

Batman!
"It's good, though..."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:43:15 AM »
If Burn Notice has taught me anything, it's that gun fire, explosions, and general mayhem are perfectly normal in Miami, and are rarely noticed by the locals.

Nothing to see here, move along.  :police: <-- Miami cop  :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »
GAU is non-specific.  AiIrcraft mounted gun/cannon not already having an "M-" designation (and some with) have a A/N designation (for the most part), in this case, GAU-.  GAU-2,8,12,etc come to mind.

Ya, you are correct as usual. I was trying to say minigun and be lazy. Turns out they carry GAU-19 50 cal and a M134 7.62 minigun which is what I was thinking of. I had one chance to see the little thing up close but it was in a non-armed setting. Good thing too, the test pilots had weaponized crazy as it was.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 07:04:54 AM »
Hey kids, it could be something as simple as a movie being filmed.  Got a friend in the industry, and they do a lot ofblannk firing, even in this cgi age.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »
My first thought was movie also; the news reporter specifically said training exercises though.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
My first thought was movie also; the news reporter specifically said training exercises though.

Just caught the story and video clip showing an H60 hovering and guys fast-roping or rappelling out (video quality not good enough to tell which).  Didn't realize the military had said it was training.  Sorry.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
"This is how we are going to disperse the crowds if they are armed"
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"