Author Topic: Winchester '92  (Read 4437 times)

douglasbeale

Winchester '92
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »
Can I find a revolver that's in production today that uses the same .45 colt cartridge as the Winchester 1892 short (model 534162141)?

dogmush

• friend
Re: Winchester '92
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:21:45 AM »
Hmm, this question seems very familiar to me today....

Yes.  Several.  Colt and Ruger both make SA revolvers chambered in .45 colt.  Pietta, Uberti, and Cimarron make Clones of the Colt. Taurus makes a DA revolver chambered in .45 colt (and .410).  There's probably some I'm missing.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
There's probably some I'm missing.

Is the 45 colt Mateba 6 Unica still in production?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »
Is the 45 colt Mateba 6 Unica still in production?

No, Curses.  A Mateba is one of my "I will own before I die" guns.  None have been made for years. Also technically that gun was a .454 Casull.  It can fire .45 Colt the way a .357 can fire .38 special.

Although a Rhino in .45 Colt would be pretty cool.  (also doesn't exist)

ETA: Note to OP, if you want to include the .454's, (i.e not chambered in .45 Colt, but can fire it) there are a bunch of revolvers out there that can do it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Ruger and Smith also make DA revolvers in .454 Casull/.45 Colt.

Oh, and an official unofficial Welcome To The Forum.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
But where will you find 30-caliber assault clips for it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

douglasbeale

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 11:29:19 AM »

Yes.  Several.  Colt and Ruger both make SA revolvers chambered in .45 colt.  Pietta, Uberti, and Cimarron make Clones of the Colt. Taurus makes a DA revolver chambered in .45 colt (and .410).  There's probably some I'm missing.

I did find some nice looking models by Uberti and were at the price point I can actually afford, but they all said they use .45 colt "long"... That's a different cartridge from the one in the Winchester? 

(I'm sorry I know nothing about guns)

douglasbeale

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »

I asked a friend on FB this morning and he PM'ed me to post here. We may have a mutual friend?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »
I did find some nice looking models by Uberti and were at the price point I can actually afford, but they all said they use .45 colt "long"... That's a different cartridge from the one in the Winchester? 

Nope, .45 Colt <==> .45 Long Colt.  Is same-same.  As I recall the "Long" moniker got added to differentiate it from .45 Schofield ammo.  Either way It's the same stuff.

I asked a friend on FB this morning and he PM'ed me to post here. We may have a mutual friend?

Mayhap we do.:D

Welcome aboard, and if you buy a Uberti, be sure to share pics.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:00:19 PM »
Dredging the mental archives I remember there being a shorter version of the .45 Colt. I want to say it was called the .45 Goverment or somesuch, but don't quote me on that.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
I don't have time to look it up, but there were definitely two .45 revolver cartridges in service at the same time.  I just forget exactly what the short one was called.

douglasbeale

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
Dredging the mental archives I remember there being a shorter version of the .45 Colt. I want to say it was called the .45 Goverment or somesuch, but don't quote me on that.

Brad

I did see a "Government" when I was looking at the amo site... All a little confusing to a newbie like me :)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »
I don't have time to look it up, but there were definitely two .45 revolver cartridges in service at the same time.  I just forget exactly what the short one was called.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm
The debate over whether there is a .45 "Long" Colt cartridge is an on-going one that has been active for probably 75 years.  Elmer Keith alluded to the arguments many years ago when he wrote "...Some newcomers to the game claim there is no such animal, but if they had shot the short variety that Remington turned out in such profusion before, during and after  World War I they would see there was some basis in referring to the .45 Colt as the .45 Long..." (Sixguns, page 285)

...But it is plainly marked ".45 Colt Government".  The headstamp on the cartridges is ".45 Colt" ...BUT these are SHORT .45 Colts!  The headstamp is the same as the longer .45 Colts, even down to the "W" on the primers.

These are not S&W or Schofield cartridges.  The rim diameter is the same as the long .45 Colts, which is smaller than the Schofield rim diameter.  These are true .45  Short Colts.  The cartridge is listed in Cartridges of the World on page 306 as ".45 Colt - .45 Colt Government".

Follow the link for the full article.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »
Can I find a revolver that's in production today that uses the same .45 colt cartridge as the Winchester 1892 short (model 534162141)?

The actual 1892 Winchester was never chambered in .45 Colt.  Rossi currently makes a R92 which is a nice copy of the 92 in .45.  Several other companies may also make '92 copies in .45.
Many copies of the Colt 1873, or SAA, are available made by Uberti, Pietta, and a few others, and are available in .45 Colt; one of the original calibers the SAA was made in.
When the .45 Colt cartridge first appeared it was a balloon-head cartridge and the rim was thin, and the heat of firing would soften the metal.   This made the action of extracting the spent .45 case from a rifle a bit iffy (soft cartridges that jammed easily in hot rifles had been a factor in the 1876 defeat of George Armstrong Custer at the Little Bighorn) so Winchester and other makers had decided not to chamber repeater rifles in this cartridge.
I am not sure what you mean by "Winchester 1892 short (model 534162141)." Are you refering to carbine length 1892s or the short rifle style?   IIRC 1892s were all chambered in pretty much the same calibers (.44-40, .38-40, .32-20, etc) irregardless as to the style of the rifle.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

douglasbeale

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by "Winchester 1892 short (model 534162141)." Are you refering to carbine length 1892s or the short rifle style? 

I'm looking at this rifle: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=022C&mid=534162

and this revolver: http://www.basspro.com/Uberti-45-Colt-1873-Cattleman-Hombre-Revolver/product/10218317/

My question is if I bought the both of them do they use the same cartrige?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm
Follow the link for the full article.

Many thanks. I knew about the Schofield and the reason why the Army settled on that rather than the .45 (Long) Colt as the standard-issue cartridge for the M1873, but I didn't know that there was an additional .45 (Short) Colt separate from the .45 Schofield.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
I'm looking at this rifle: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=022C&mid=534162

and this revolver: http://www.basspro.com/Uberti-45-Colt-1873-Cattleman-Hombre-Revolver/product/10218317/

Yes, they will. The designation of the rifle refers to the barrel length, not the cartridge. A "short rifle" is shorter than the full-length rifle in the same model line, but longer than a "carbine." The one you're looking at has a 20" barrel. The carbine version has, IIRC, a 16" barrel. Original 1892s had barrels up to 24" in length.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »

Any modern production firearm labeled ".45 Colt" or ".45 Long Colt" will be chambered in the same cartridge.

Brad
-HankB

douglasbeale

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
You guys are awesome! Everyone that posted..., thank you very much.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »

That  Is the "SHORT RIFLE."  It is available in the same .45 caliber as the uberti, yes.  The rifle will be made by Miroku and they make beautiful guns...I have two of their products, the most recent a 1892 deluxe takedown 1892 in .32-20 with crescent buttplate.
If you buy the gun referenced it will cost $$$$ but you will love it.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »

See, I have the opposite problem. I have a revolver in .45 Colt, but I don't think the lever action in that caliber exists...

Oh, SURE, you can link to them, but try to find one out in the wild....  :laugh:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
Henry and Marlin also make lever guns chambered in .45 Colt.

Brad
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »

Beautiful rifle. The 92s are my favorite lever rifles.
You have the right idea about using a shared cartridge with a revolver, though outside of Cowboy Action Shooting, .357 or .44 magnum combinations seem to be a lot more popular.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
You have the right idea about using a shared cartridge with a revolver, though outside of Cowboy Action Shooting, .357 or .44 magnum combinations seem to be a lot more popular.

Also more choice in loads and, at times, easier to find if you are limited to Mom&Pop type ammo suppliers.

Brad
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »

Mayhap we do.:D

It's possible, it's possible ... Thanks for taking good care of Doug for me. I had no doubts I'd sent him to the right place.
Avoid cliches like the plague!