Author Topic: Winchester '92  (Read 4436 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Winchester '92
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 09:40:29 PM »
I have a cheaper Cimarron Frontier single action army in 45 LC.  It is on paper, but the sights are not quite true.  Fun to shoot.   I think I prefer the 357 mag single action revolvers though.  I think the Cimarron guns are made by Uberti and Pietta and assembled/fixed up by Cimarron.  Ruger has some stainless steel versions that are really nice looking.

I would agree that full power and self defense ammo in 357 mag and 44 mag are much easier to find.  Most 45 LC ammo I see is cowboy action loads.

Uberti does make a 12 shot single action army revolver in 22 LR that is a fun pistol to shoot.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:40 PM »
Uberti does make a 12 shot single action army revolver in 22 LR that is a fun pistol to shoot.  

There's just something wrong about a 12-shot six-shooter ...

Like one of Ahnold's first movies, in which his schtick (aside from his name, "Handsome Stranger") was a 7-shot six-shooter
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 11:44:10 PM »
I do have to ask the OP.  You stated:

(I'm sorry I know nothing about guns)

So are you jumping in feet first to Cowboy Action Shooting?

Or are you just looking to get a sidearm and long gun that won't raise any red flags in (presumably) Connecticut ?

BTW, Welcome to APS and do stick around.  There's probably a couple centuries of knowledge (and not just about guns) that roam these wilds.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
There's just something wrong about a 12-shot six-shooter ...

Like one of Ahnold's first movies, in which his schtick (aside from his name, "Handsome Stranger") was a 7-shot six-shooter
Well, when you have to load/unload each round like a normal single action army revolver, 12 shots is nice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »
He said APS is in his Cowboy shooting folder now and he will be back from time to time. He was impressed.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
He said APS is in his Cowboy shooting folder now and he will be back from time to time. He was impressed.

Well, He's new.  We have time to turn that around.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »
Well, He's new.  We have time to turn that around.
Yup, I have faith in you guys  :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 12:00:05 AM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

douglasbeale

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »
The rifle will be made by Miroku and they make beautiful guns...

I have been reading the reviews and can see that hands down that Miroku has the best look and feel, and the only one with "Winchester" stamped on it and that's something I feel like I have to have. The Rossi gets great reviews in lever action and clustering (if I'm using the right term), but the workmanship is a little less than perfect. As with anything you have to pay for quality.  =) I cannot find one online so I will go to a local gun shop who is listed as a dealer and see if they can find one for me. 

douglasbeale

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 10:14:22 AM »
1892 deluxe takedown 1892

Did you get the big or the little hoop in the finger lever? Any idea of what utility that big hoop has? I like the look of little one better, but maybe I'll miss out on some functionality?? Is it really possible to spin it around, cock it, and get the round chambered correctly (Like Rooster did)?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »
I don't have time to look it up, but there were definitely two .45 revolver cartridges in service at the same time.  I just forget exactly what the short one was called.

Are you maybe thinking of the .45 AR?.  The "Auto Rim?"

Both it and the .45ACP chambered in the M1917 revolver, but of course the .45 AR couldnot be used in the M1911 semi auto.

The .45 Schofield has already been discussed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:37:00 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
Did you get the big or the little hoop in the finger lever? Any idea of what utility that big hoop has? I like the look of little one better, but maybe I'll miss out on some functionality?? Is it really possible to spin it around, cock it, and get the round chambered correctly (Like Rooster did)?
The big hoop is a big help when cycling the action with gloves on- not really necessary. WildWestguns.com has a less exaggerated large loop, though not sure if they have them for 92s.
You can spin it around to cycle the action, but its incredibly stupid and unsafe gun handling.
The Miroku/Browning 92s are of far better quality than Winchesters or Rossi/taurus.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »

Mine has the "pistol grip" (I believe that is what it's called; it isn't straight like the carbines it has a curve -- as does the lever loop) and the normal size lever loop.
Large loops help accomadate winter use with gloves.
Brimic's comment; "You can spin it around to cycle the action, but its incredibly stupid and unsafe gun handling," is absolutly right.  You really do not want to do this -- and safety is not to only reason.
If you take the standard 92 action and load it, and "spin" it, like Rooster Cogburn, or Chuck Connors as "The Rofleman" did, centrifical force applies, and as the round cycles through this force tends to force the nose of the round (ie., "bullet") up wards, out of the action -- and into the path of the bolt, which will now close on the bullet, and jam, and this may actually hurt your wrist or fingers.  The 1873 model carrier block would actually have been better designed for this type of silliness.
So how did The Rifleman accomplish his spin, if physical forces ought to prevent it?   His 92 -- or more accuratly, the several Winchesters and El Tigres (a Spanish copy) were modified by the show's prop department with a extra screw set into the receiver to help guide the round and prevent it from flipping out.  It was a TV show/movie gimmick--as was the other screw in Connors' rifle that tripped the trigger.
Enjoy the movies and TV shows .... but let us treat our real guns with real ammunition with respect and allow them to function safely and as (in this case) John Moses Browning intended.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »

Whoa, now!  Come into APS, ask questions about classic guns and chew the fat?  OK.  Accuse members of spinning and waving guns around all willy-nilly?  NOT OK. (1)

First, I don't wave rifles and carbines about like an agitated French baker waving a bagette.

Second, it is my wife's Rossi Winchester 92 clone in .44mag and  she sure wouldn't appreciate anyone being so care free with her prettiest long gun.

Third, ...

Oh, wait.  You probably mean the character Rooster Cogburn played by John Wayne.

(1) I may have just been triggered!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »
Is it really possible to spin it around, cock it, and get the round chambered correctly (Like Rooster did)?

As someone who tried to do that with an unloaded Model 94, all I can say is that John Wayne and Chuck Conners had incredibly long arms...

(I think I still have the dent in my forehead.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

douglasbeale

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
I do have to ask the OP.  You stated:

So are you jumping in feet first to Cowboy Action Shooting?

Or are you just looking to get a sidearm and long gun that won't raise any red flags in (presumably) Connecticut ?

BTW, Welcome to APS and do stick around.  There's probably a couple centuries of knowledge (and not just about guns) that roam these wilds.

I've never tried, but I might enjoy Cowboy Action Shooting, and will give it a try. Don't know nothing about red flags...

Honestly, and you guys will get a laugh out of this, I want to be a cowboy when I grow up. I always have. I have a cowboy hat, and just ordered a new pair of Lucchese boots- they should arrive today.

I've been thinking about buying a gun for some time. I have no need to spray bullets all over the place. I just might like to shoot some targets from time to time.

When I first started looking I was looking at antiques of the only guns I would ever consider, guns from cowboy movies, but the cost just puts me out of the game. Then I saw that the Winchester 1892 was still in production... I like old things, but I have some very nice reproductions of furniture that are every bit as nice as my antiques, and are some of favorite pieces.

As far as the .45 colt (or .45 long colt) ...well it just sounds better to me than the 357 mag or 44. I'm willing to pay extra for that I think.

I have a lot of time, and a little money, but few hobbies so this is something I can try, and if I don't like it, I'll display the firearms in a nice case or cabinet and enjoy looking at them.

Thanks for the Welcome!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
but the cost just puts me out of the game.

Yar.
Some of the old Winchesters are works of art.
The rise and interest in CAS has really driven the prices up.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
Hey Doug, by "clustering" I think you mean "grouping". The pattern of the shots on the target? Yes, big hoop is for gloves. We should go shoot a few of my toys sometime. Nothing cowboyish though. If you want to come to Manchester we can shoot some handguns. Wallyworld for rifles.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2016, 12:29:43 AM »

Utility? UTILITY?
John Freaking Wayne did it that way, that's all the dadgum utility you need. =D

I've got a Henry .22 with the straight stock and big loop, works great with gloves on and adds 33.8% coolness factor to the rifle as well as making rabbits and other less edible critters 18% deader.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

douglasbeale

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »
adds 33.8% coolness factor to the rifle as well as making rabbits and other less edible critters 18% deader.

I knew there must be some reason!

Love the look of the Henry abustulity beautiful rifle.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:08 AM »
Welcome aboard Douglas!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
I knew there must be some reason!

Love the look of the Henry abustulity beautiful rifle.
I agree.  I would love to get one of the silver Henry's 22 rifles that is fancied up.  They look great.

However, on the bigger bore Henry rifles, I really don't like the tube loading design.  I like being able to load on the fly like a Winchester/Marlin.