Author Topic: Who's concerned about a Mormon president?  (Read 4193 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Who's concerned about a Mormon president?
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:08:14 AM »
I assume we've all heard that many people are uncomfortable with Mitt Romney's Mormonism.  I believe the polls I have heard about put this at the forty-percent range.  It seems to be assumed that this resistance is coming from the dreaded Religious Right, or at least that's the impression I get.  So far, I've only met one of my fellow Christian Conservatives who was worried by the idea of a Mormon president.  So, I wonder if the discomfort is not actually coming from people who fear Romney's religion because he IS the Religious Right.  And from people that just don't like the Mormons because of their door-to-door evangelising. 

Or is it all three? 

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Who's concerned about a Mormon president?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
I don't care what religion he is. He could believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I care that he's a lying hypocrite, a total leftist who just bought a new Reagan hat and thinks he's fooling anybody.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »
I think that (as a Pagan) I would be less concerned about a Mormon president than about some other denominations.  In my experience, Mormons tend to be exactly what they say they are; they preach a faith I don't agree with, sure, but they're honest about their motives and they practice what they preach.  I've never met a Mormon who wasn't exactly what he (or she) claimed to be.  I can't say the same thing about other paths people follow (including my own).

I'd rather have an honest president who disagreed with me on some issues, than a dishonest one who told me he agreed with me on everything.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
His religion doesn't bother me.
However, his seeming inability to research basic things about his target audience causes concern.  Witness his address to some in Miami's Cuban community last week where he said, "Patria o muerte, venceremos!" to close.  It is a slogan used by Castro for decades at the end of his speeches, meaning, "Fatherland or death, we shall overcome."
Romney apparently meant to say something else.  Careless, if you ask me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
I've known quite a few Mormons and they all lived according to their beliefs. 

I went to a Baptist college that happened to have a fairly large Mormon community.  The Mormons were among the more principled of the student body.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
Funny how history repeats itself...

Campaign of 1960 there were huge numbers of people who said they would never vote for John Kennedy because he would be more beholden to the Pope than to the US Constitution.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »
I'm voting for Fred Thompson.  Problem solved.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »
His religion is of little consequence to me as a candidate or as President.

On a related note, Thompson is getting some attention from radio talk hosts.  This is a good sign. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »
I'm waiting for the "none of the above" spot on my ballot.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 10:37:44 AM »
While I have no problem voting for a Mormon (being one myself), I do have hangups about Romney. His flip-floppery on some issues bothers me. If his opinion on these issues has, in fact, changed and evolved, I don't have a problem. But if he's just changing them to be politically expedient, then I've got a problem. If it came down to a choice between Romney and Fred Thompson for me, at the moment I'm leaning towards Thompson.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »
We didn't elect a catholic president for almost 200 years because we thought they might be more loyal to the Pope than to the United States.  rolleyes

I dan't care what he believes. Actually, I'd prefer a Mormon president: confusion to our enemies!

~GnSx

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
As a non-Mormon living in Salt Lake City, I would have to say that the Mormon church, like any other religious group, has some members that live up to the tenents of their faith, some who don't and some who observe those principles that are convenient.  I recall reading several years ago in the newspaper that the state prison religious demographics closely mirror those of the state population.

As for Romney, his religion isn't an issue for me but I believe his political views expouse whatever he thinks will get him nominated and elected.
Don

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 11:09:19 AM »
As a non-Mormon living in Salt Lake City, I would have to say that the Mormon church, like any other religious group, has some members that live up to the tenents of their faith, some who don't and some who observe those principles that are convenient.  I recall reading several years ago in the newspaper that the state prison religious demographics closely mirror those of the state population.

As a Mormon living in Salt Lake City, I would have to say that that's entirely accurate.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »

As for Romney, his religion isn't an issue for me but I believe his political views expouse whatever he thinks will get him nominated and elected.

Though I still wonder at religions that have a headquarters that looks like this:

Mormon headquarters, Salt Lake City

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
I'm not a Mormon, and don't agree with their religion, but those I've met are just people . . . like the Jews I've met, like the Lutherans I've met, like the Baptists, Methodists, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.

Some are fine folks, some are not so fine folks.

Just people.

So Romney's Mormonism is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned. But like the other front-running GOP candidates, I have to ask myself . . . would this clown be any better than (barf, gag) Hillary?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 11:52:28 AM »

Though I still wonder at religions that have a headquarters that looks like this:

Mormon headquarters, Salt Lake City
[/quote]
Why?
Don

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »
Quote from: Manedwolf
Though I still wonder at religions that have a headquarters that looks like this
What are our administrative headquarters supposed to look like? It looks like an office building because that's what it is. It's full of offices to manage all the administrative, charitable, and other affairs of the church.

Quote from: Car Knocker
I believe his political views expouse whatever he thinks will get him nominated and elected.
That's what sours me towards him. Unless his campaign can convince me otherwise, that's the sense that will stay with me.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
Though I still wonder at religions that have a headquarters that looks like this
What are our administrative headquarters supposed to look like? It looks like an office building because that's what it is. It's full of offices to manage all the administrative, charitable, and other affairs of the church.

Something other than a soul-less postmodern block of horrendous blandness! Religions are supposed to make people look up in wonder, a la cathedrals, not look up and go "yuck".

It was an architectural criticism.  cheesy

Ron

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »
Not knowing much about him I was hopeful that he was a true conservative.

From what i have heard he hasn't taken enough of his religion to heart, oh well.

I'm with carebear, Fred Thompson for president.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »
Something other than a soul-less postmodern block of horrendous blandness!
Does their temple in Maryland make up for it?

When I was a kid, I thought it was a castle.
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »
It was an architectural criticism.
Oh, we're in a agreement on the architecture of that building laugh, but it's a functional form for an administrative building.

Religions are supposed to make people look up in wonder, a la cathedrals, not look up and go "yuck".
The headquarters isn't a center of the church in that sense. Our temples serve more that function, as BrokenPaw mentioned.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 12:36:33 PM »
I'm not voting for any RINOsperiod.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
To keep this thread on topic, let's pretend we don't care whether Romney is a hypocrite, a conservative, a RINO, or a gun rights supporter.  Let's just talk about who is scared of a Mormon president.

Is it the Christian Right that is uncomfortable with it, or is it the secular left? 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »
I'm not scared of a Mormon prez.  Romney, though, would have to do a LOT of convincing for me to buy his flip-floppery & Multiple Issue Conversion Syndrome (MICS).

I think it is liklely the same folks who don't like conservative Christians don't like the idea of a Mormon prez.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 01:24:49 PM »
Well I'm rightwing,  Protestant and I was looking forward to supporting him if he was a true conservative.

He hasn't passed the smell test. The one thing you can count on a flip flopper to do is flip flop.