Author Topic: Soccer weenies cry "it's not a fair ball!" Q...Q...  (Read 5677 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Soccer weenies cry "it's not a fair ball!" Q...Q...
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.81290ca72161f3ec4ca649ad34526888.7e1&show_article=1

Stars from England, Brazil and Italy have joined forces to criticise the controversial new ball to be used in the World Cup,  but the developer insists there will be no cause for concern once the tournament gets underway in South Africa.

The Adidas 'Jabulani' ball has caused concern at training camps across the globe as the world's best players try it out ahead of the start of the World Cup on June 11.

It is believed to have an unpredictable swerving movement which makes its hard for goalkeepers and strikers to anticipate its direction in flight.

England goalkeeper David James says the ball is "horrible", Brazil forward Luis Fabiano calls it "weird" and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon fears its "unpredictability" could ruin the World Cup.

However, Dr Andy Harland, who developed the ball at Loughborough University's Sports Technology Institute in England, said much of the criticism was due to the unfamiliar effects arising from teams playing at altitude as part of their pre-World Cup training.

"I've seen nothing that's concerned me," he told Sky Sports News. "This ball has been around since December and been used since then around the world with very few comments.

"Teams have gone to altitude and you've seen comments come out in those circumstances.

"We've said all along it would affect the ball, but it should be said whichever ball you play with at altitude is going to be affected."

The ball is billed as the roundest ever made, a quality which would make it less stable in the air if not for a series of grooves on the surface designed to reduce aerodynamic problems.

Harland said not one team had contacted him to discuss the ball and added he was not surprised by the criticism.

"It's not entirely unexpected," he said. "Before every tournament players come out and voice their opinions.

"There are no secrets about this ball. The ball is designed to allow the very best players in the world to exhibit their skills."

Dood.  It's a ball.

"The roundest ever made."  Whoop-ti-doo.

The only complaint I could possibly see, is that they are starting the World Cup with a different ball than what they might have been using for "seasonal" play.  But, I don't follow soccer and don't know if the WC is the actual season, or a playoff session following a season.  I assume the latter.

Ballistically, however:  I don't understand how a ROUND ball is more affected by a lack of air resistance, rather than greater air resistance at lower altitude.  Seems to me it should kick straighter, despite any spin on it, at higher altitude.  

You can't throw a curve-ball in space.  Same principle applies here.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:11:07 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Soccer weenies cry "it's not a fair ball!" Q...Q...Q...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »
Nothing new here, just one more excuse for a riot.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »
There is a need for an excuse for a riot?  How strange.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »
I think this happened a few years ago with another ball design by Adidas. Same complaints.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
Ballistically, however:  I don't understand how a ROUND ball is more affected by a lack of air resistance, rather than greater air resistance at lower altitude.  Seems to me it should kick straighter, despite any spin on it, at higher altitude. 

The started to dimple golf balls 100 years ago (or whenever it was) becuase it caused the balls to fly straighter.  Reason is aerodynamics.  Spheres suck aerodynamically.  Part of that is because of the boundary layer.  Dimples on a golf ball or grooves on a soccer ball trip the boundary layer and both reduce and improve the uniformity of the drag thus enabling straighter and more predicable flight. 
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
The capital "Q" is used in internet mockery because of it's resemblance to an eye with tears flowing from it. Using three, separated by ellipses, kinda defeats the purpose.

/internet slang grammar nazi
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Look, tiny text!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Soccer weenies cry "it's not a fair ball!" Q...Q...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 02:12:26 AM »
Fixed to avoid moar Nazis.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »
Nothing new here, just one more excuse for a riot.
If it weren't for the riots, soccer would have no entertainment value at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8&feature=related
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
Someone needs to sic the Spelling Nazis on the Grammar Nazis!

"tine" != "time"

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
Someone needs to sic the Spelling Nazis on the Grammar Nazis!

"tine" != "time"

Someone ragging on the Grammar Nazis doesn't know how to spell?  Shocking. If you people could construct proper sentences, we'd have no need to police you.  :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »
Part of that is because of the boundary layer.  Dimples on a golf ball or grooves on a soccer ball trip the boundary layer and both reduce and improve the uniformity of the drag thus enabling straighter and more predicable flight.

Does that mean if they dimpled or grooved the plastic BB's out of airsoft guns, they'd shoot more accurately?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:40:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:24 PM »
Does that mean if they dimpled or grooved the plastic BB's out of airsoft guns, they'd shoot more accurately?

Terry, 230RN

Yes, but you'd loose too much velocity from the poorer gas seal.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
The started to dimple golf balls 100 years ago (or whenever it was) becuase it caused the balls to fly straighter.  Reason is aerodynamics.  Spheres suck aerodynamically.  Part of that is because of the boundary layer.  Dimples on a golf ball or grooves on a soccer ball trip the boundary layer and both reduce and improve the uniformity of the drag thus enabling straighter and more predicable flight. 

I don't think so. The dimples, combined with the spin imparted by the angle of the club face, imparts a backspin that keeps the ball aloft longer, increasing the distance of the drive. The dimples don't make the ball fly straighter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »
Well, I guess to be totally correct I should say that it allows the ball to fly in a path tangential to the direction of the spin.  So for a backspin it will fly straight, with a side spin it'll curve in that direction.  Without the dimples the direction spin made little if any difference, and non-spin related perturbations would cause unpredictable changes in direction.  Kind of like a knuckle ball (baseball pitch with no imparted spin).
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
^ Rats.  That first dimple explanation got me hopeful.

I remember reading in a book on the history of gunpowder that someone discovered that round balls out of a smoothbore were more accurate when the barrel was bent slightly.  Thus, the ball could take a consistent sideways spin (as opposed to the axial spin imparted by spiral rifling) as it exited the barrel.  (Book's not readily accessible right now, so I can't cite pages.)

So I have been toying with the idea of taking one of my airsofts and bending the barrel slightly in a vertical direction to increase accuracy. 

But I haven't decided on whether I should bend it up or down. 

Assuming by "backspin," you mean that the golf ball spins forward on the bottom and backward on the top, I guess if I were to try it, I should bend the barrel downward for a slight increase in range and increasing the accuracy --assuming the sights are re-set appropriately.

What say you?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:54:36 AM by 230RN »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 03:25:17 AM »
airsoft bbs are spinning backwards(if your gun has hopup anyway) so i would think dimples would just make them shoot even higher.(mine's way high with .12s) the worst thing is wind, i have been hitting my .22 spinners at 20feet or so once out of every 30 or so shots on still days.(with a springer 1911  :O)

(google earth says it's closer to 100. :facepalm:)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 08:12:55 AM »
i have been hitting my .22 spinners at 20feet or so once out of every 30 or so shots on still days.

You just need to push them faster, then.  Try seating them in .243 hulls with a moderate load of Varget and see how they do.   >:D

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
neat suggestion on how to get rid of these headaches. >:D but really thanks i needed that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
^ ^  Well, for "gallery" rounds, I tried loading #4 buck into .243 Win cases.  It worked, sorta, but not worth the effort.  Unique, I think.  Maybe Bullseye.  Main problem is it was scope-mounted and the scope wouldn't focus at a range close enough to where you could use the "gallery" rounds effectively.  Might have worked better if I could have used the iron sights, but I wasn't about to dismount the scope just to see.  Another one of 230RN's many many many many many many many many many failed experiments.

Many.

Many many.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:41:53 PM by 230RN »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
Main problem is it was scope-mounted and the scope wouldn't focus at a range close enough to where you could use the "gallery" rounds effectively.  Might have worked better if I could have used the iron sights, but I wasn't about to dismount the scope just to see.

See-through rings.  With the coyotes and pigs, I like to have an option for <30 yard shots on every gun.

Found some mini-crayons that were just about 6mm.  1/2" chunks fired great off primers to ~20 yards.  Boresnake looked really weird afterward, as did the plywood I was using for a target.  I need to go buy a bunch of off-brand crayons and try this with my .30-06 and 7.62x54R.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »