Author Topic: Next Step Up for Spotting Scope?  (Read 1106 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Next Step Up for Spotting Scope?
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
I have a Konus 7120 20-60 x 80mm spotting scope I use for High Power and other situations where I need something better than binocs.

I paid $200 + $15 shipping for it.

A friend of mine is getting into High Power and wants to buy a scope, I offered to sell him mine for $175.  Best you can find this scope for now is about $230 + shipping, so he's saving $75 if he buys it from me.

What should I look for in the $400-$500 range of spotting scopes?  What's the next rung up?

I'm less than impressed with the clarity of the Konus when magnified past about 30x.  It gets pretty dark after that.  I'd like something that has good clarity and light transmission up to 40-50x, so I can see my .223 strikes consistently and easily at 200 yards. 

Something that I don't get to do that a lot of other guys on the line get to do, is evaluate my first 2 rounds during rapid fire and make adjustments accordingly.  I just can't see the holes in the target unless the light is absolutely perfect.  So I currently don't even make an effort to look through the scope during those 60 or 70 second stages at all.

I'd like something that has a bit more eye relief at the rear eye piece.  I really have to crowd the Konus' rear eye piece to see through it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
Re: Next Step Up for Spotting Scope?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:17 PM »
If that deal falls through, can I get dibs on it?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
I have a leupold 80mm sequoia that is in that range if I remember correctly that is very nice.  When shopping I found the middle range (350-600) is price wise widely separated from the high range (1-3k), and of the middle range, I've had the best luck with leupold.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
I'm been hankering after a spotting scope, but I shoot long guns so rarely that I can't justify a big expenditure for something I might use once every two years (or so). Found this at The Sportsmans Guide web site. Not 60x, but very attractively priced. Worth taking a chance"

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/barska-15-40x50-mm-spotting-scope.aspx?a=733406
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
I have a leupold 80mm sequoia that is in that range if I remember correctly that is very nice.  When shopping I found the middle range (350-600) is price wise widely separated from the high range (1-3k), and of the middle range, I've had the best luck with leupold.

I have that same Leupold and like it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
I have a Konus 7120 20-60 x 80mm spotting scope I use for High Power and other situations where I need something better than binocs.

I paid $200 + $15 shipping for it.

A friend of mine is getting into High Power and wants to buy a scope, I offered to sell him mine for $175.  Best you can find this scope for now is about $230 + shipping, so he's saving $75 if he buys it from me.

What should I look for in the $400-$500 range of spotting scopes?  What's the next rung up?

I'm less than impressed with the clarity of the Konus when magnified past about 30x.  It gets pretty dark after that.  I'd like something that has good clarity and light transmission up to 40-50x, so I can see my .223 strikes consistently and easily at 200 yards. 

Something that I don't get to do that a lot of other guys on the line get to do, is evaluate my first 2 rounds during rapid fire and make adjustments accordingly.  I just can't see the holes in the target unless the light is absolutely perfect.  So I currently don't even make an effort to look through the scope during those 60 or 70 second stages at all.

I'd like something that has a bit more eye relief at the rear eye piece.  I really have to crowd the Konus' rear eye piece to see through it.

Leica

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/leica/leica-televid-apo-82mm-angled-spotting-scope

Make sure you buy a good solid tripod also.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:44:18 AM »
No, not $3000.

$500.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
That's the trouble, something good in the midrange of $$$. I'm looking for a Kowa and their top end isn't cheap. E-bay stalking I used someone's loaner Kowa on the 600 yard line, oh how nice a scope you can actually see in is. I don't think the off-shore Leupold Sequoias have very good eye relief. I bought one for the ex and her birdwatching, good scope, but not for highpower. I assume AZ knows an angled eyepiece is pretty essential, but for those that don't, it's pretty essential. With straight you really have to break every position to get on the scope.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
No, not $3000.

$500.

You'll end up spending more than $3000 dinking around with cheaper spotting scopes until you find what you want.

If I consistantly target shot, I would have a Leica spotting scope. I'm a hunter and as long as I can hit minute of deer at whatever range I am hunting, its good enough for me.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
The last guy I talked to a guy shooting long range he had a telescope.  You might consider that if you have a good mount.

I have the 100mm Konus.  IMO,it is very clear, but I haven't yet done much long range and my tripod sucks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge