Author Topic: Dear sweet fluffy Jesus on a felt-covered pogo stick...  (Read 7098 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Dear sweet fluffy Jesus on a felt-covered pogo stick...
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
I am hesitatingly optimistic. I've never seen a Disney character as annoying as Jar Jar Binks.

I may live to regret these words but, how could it get worse?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Thrawn Trilogy FTW.

Also most anything written by Zahn, but a lot of the EU books pandered to the invincible against all odds rebel fighter jock schtick.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
Same "generation" of ships as IV/V/VI.  X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing, B-wing, TIE, TIE-interceptor, TIE-bomber, etc.  I could accept perhaps a 1-generation leap forward, but designs need to be derivative of the above fighters, Correlian Corvettes, YT-1300's, Dreadnaughts, Nebulon Frigates, Victory-class Star Destroyers and such.

Slip in some stuff from the B5 universe.  Starfuries, Vorlon ships, etc.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
Slip in some stuff from the B5 universe.  Starfuries, Vorlon ships, etc.

How about a ship that can destroy stars?.....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »
Just do it all anime, and hire this guy to make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU
I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 01:55:37 AM »
Just do it all anime, and hire this guy to make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

Long live the Empire!  >:D

erictank

• friends
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
I'm not optimistic. Not at all. Unless they pick up from after Return of the Jedi, it's going to be major suckage. Major. Now, as mentioned, A thrawn trilogy would be nice.

Episode 7 was always supposed to be after ROTJ. The only question is, how MUCH after? Disney is apparently going to be working from Lucas' notes for 7-8-9, so we're likely looking at a generation or more after ROTJ - which is good if the intent is to bring in Carrie, Mark, and/or Harrison for cameos or starring roles. If they want to do the Heir to the Empire trilogy, they'll have to recast Han, Luke, and Leia.

Not holding my breath, but I'm quite willing to give them a chance.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
Episode 7 was always supposed to be after ROTJ. The only question is, how MUCH after? Disney is apparently going to be working from Lucas' notes for 7-8-9, so we're likely looking at a generation or more after ROTJ - which is good if the intent is to bring in Carrie, Mark, and/or Harrison for cameos or starring roles. If they want to do the Heir to the Empire trilogy, they'll have to recast Han, Luke, and Leia.

Not holding my breath, but I'm quite willing to give them a chance.

Crap.  Lucas's notes?  Oh well (throws up hands in disgust)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
George actually isn't (or at least wasn't, with the original movies) bad at coming up with general ideas for a movie. It's when he takes the (script-)writing and/or directing reins that things take a horrible turn for the worse.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »
Crap.  Lucas's notes?  Oh well (throws up hands in disgust)

Lucas was always a great idea guy - he just can't write dialogue or direct to save his life. And Kathleen Kennedy is in charge of LFL now.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »
George actually isn't (or at least wasn't, with the original movies) bad at coming up with general ideas for a movie. It's when he takes the (script-)writing and/or directing reins that things take a horrible turn for the worse.

Really?  Did you -read- his original ideas for solo and the rest of the movie?
Solo as a lizard?

Really the only "general ideas" he had were borrowed from Kurosawa and flash Gordon. 

Basically, episode IV was mad ethe way it is -in spite of- rather than because of Lucas.

When he was given more reigns, we ended up with ep1-3.  So you tell me, when his "ideas" are given full reigns...did it turn our better?  Misa dona think so.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 01:50:11 AM »
Really?  Did you -read- his original ideas for solo and the rest of the movie?
Solo as a lizard?

Really the only "general ideas" he had were borrowed from Kurosawa and flash Gordon.

The basic premise of Star Wars is good; I couldn't possibly care less that it was stolen from Kurosawa and Flash Gordon. The "general ideas" behind 95% of movies are borrowed from previous works, people, and ideas.

When he was given more reigns, we ended up with ep1-3.  So you tell me, when his "ideas" are given full reigns...did it turn our better?  Misa dona think so.

Did you -read- what I wrote? You're saying exactly what I was saying. When he's given power beyond the initial idea it all turns to crap, and quick.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:53:39 AM by Marnoot »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 09:28:28 AM »
The basic premise of Star Wars is good; I couldn't possibly care less that it was stolen from Kurosawa and Flash Gordon. The "general ideas" behind 95% of movies are borrowed from previous works, people, and ideas.

Did you -read- what I wrote? You're saying exactly what I was saying. When he's given power beyond the initial idea it all turns to crap, and quick.

I agree with your first statement.  The second, I was referring to his original ideas for things other than the basic premise.  In ep4, those general ideas were restrained, with good result.  In ep1-3, not so much.  But it goes beyond script and directorial, to general ideas for characters and plot development, even before script writing, hence my statement.

So we are in violent agreement I would say :)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
I agree with your first statement.  The second, I was referring to his original ideas for things other than the basic premise.  In ep4, those general ideas were restrained, with good result.  In ep1-3, not so much.  But it goes beyond script and directorial, to general ideas for characters and plot development, even before script writing, hence my statement.

So we are in violent agreement I would say :)

I think we can all agree Star Wars is better off without George Lucas  =). I hadn't read up on his more horrible ideas (solo lizard!  =|), so that's moderated my initial opinion a smidge.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in terror ..."
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden