Author Topic: BBQ grill drama  (Read 923 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
BBQ grill drama
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
My grill is too cold.

I just changed the tank this weekend, it's practically full.

I'm grilling some brats right now and thermostat reads 350* on the dial.  All 4 of the burners (5 counting the back common element) are set to high.  Valve is wide open on the tank.

Is it the regulator?  Can the regulator be changed on a grill?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: BBQ grill drama
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »
How cold is it outside?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
It takes a lot of heat to kill brats.  The older and more unruly they are, the more they squirm on the grill.  Hence, it take more heat to cook'em.
Plus, you've got to listen to all the screaming.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
It takes a lot of heat to kill brats.  The older and more unruly they are, the more they squirm on the grill.  Hence, it take more heat to cook'em.
Plus, you've got to listen to all the screaming.

LOL!  Another parent, I see.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
I had to replace the regulator on our grill earlier this year, it wasn't passing enough gas to heat the grill properly.

Bought the regulator and hose assembly at Home Depot.  It was for a different brand than our grill, so the fitting on the hose didn't fit the distribution chamber (?, the chamber that all the burners attach to), but one of the guys in the plumbing dept was a lot of help finding the correct adapters.  A soap test showed no leaks, and it's cooking just fine now.

Before changing the regulator I checked all the gas tubes & orifices, just to make sure that a wasp hadn't built another nest over one.  Need to use it more often....

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
Do you have another tank to swap?

I had one that the safety valve would not open all the way no matter what I did.

Spider nests can be a nasty thing when they build them in the burner tubes.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
Hmm, the only gas problem I have when using the grill is when it gets too cold for my propane Coleman lantern to light properly. Ha, wasn't expecting that, were you? Really, the charcoal lights first time every time, but sometimes I have to take the lantern inside to warm up a little.

In fact, just yesterday, I got my first grilling in the snow experience of the winter out of the way.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
Your problem is that you are not using enough charcoal...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
Probably the regulator. Like mentioned above, make sure there are no spiders in the tubes or oriface.

The regulator will have a tiny hole usually on the top somewhere. Carefully make sure it isn't plugged. If the vent on a regulator gets plugged they won't modulate but stick in one position.

In the past I've had to replace mine, not uncommon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
Try another tank first. I had one that had the little push in valve thingy dicked up and would not let the gas out.
If I remember correctly it was easily removed from the valve using a screwdriver.
It is pushed in by the nipple on the hose fitting thing. (technical term)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
Your problem is that you are not using enough charcoal...
Don't forget Hickory, Pecan and Apple wood.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams