Author Topic: PCV Valve?  (Read 805 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
PCV Valve?
« on: November 24, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »
So, about two weeks ago I changed the oil, checked tire pressure and replaced the PCV valve in my truck.  Oil wasn't absurdly old, it was about 2000 miles and 4 months.  Tire pressure was around 22psi per tire, took it up to 32.  Makes sense it was low... I mostly ride the bike and leave the truck alone, and the temps dropped about 25 degrees recently here in AZ.

I was complaining about the transmission in this truck about a month ago here, and I know this has nothing to do with the transmission at this point, but fuel economy went from about 15.7 highway to 18.1 highway.  Just from those three things in the last 2 weeks.

I have a hard time believing that tire pressure accounts for 1.4mpg, or nearly 10% improvement.  Maybe on a sedan that gets around 25mpg or more.  So I figure I got maybe 0.5mpg from the tire pressure, max.

Can the PCV valve cause that much of a loss in fuel economy?  My understanding of how it functions is it grabs unburnt vapor from under the cylinder head cover and channels it back into the air intake.  The old one didn't seem to be too dysfunctional... supposedly the check for these things is to shake them.  If they rattle, the valve still works.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
Re: PCV Valve?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »
Tire pressure makes a bigger difference then you think, and 22 psi is pretty damn low.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
Tire pressure makes a bigger difference then you think, and 22 psi is pretty damn low.

Agreed. I'd guess that about 97.3 percent of your improvement was due to the tire pressure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:13:11 AM »
Tires.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:36 AM »
Air pressure.

The old "super gas saver tune-up" was to over inflate the tires.

PCV? Let's not talk *expletive deleted*ing PCV!

I spent seven hours last night replacing valve cover gaskets and fixing the hose to my PCV. I have to pull the intake to get to the valve covers or the PCV on my vehicle.  :facepalm:

While a bad PCV can hurt mileage, the oil blowing out is a bigger problem when they fail.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »
I hear ya, but I check the air in my bike tires weekly, and my truck tires every month or two.

What ends up happening here in AZ is everyone gets a 5-10 psi drop when we finally shake off the triple digit heat.  Size of the psi drop just depends on how frequently you check your tire pressure, and the temp extremes between checks.

My truck has pretty much spent the last 2 months un-driven except for a very small handful of errands.  I probably used half a tank of gas in it in 2 months.  I topped it off 2 weeks ago when I did the oil/air/pcv maintenance, and I still have half a tank despite the fact I've been driving it a lot deliberately.  Tire pressure was in the 30's earlier this summer but I just haven't driven it or cared to check it since maybe August or so.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
Do they play around with fuel blends seasonally out there? Better mileage with a summer blend in colder temps?

Here in Chicagoland I see a big drop in gas mileage as the temps cool off. I've heard that we get a winter formulation gasoline that can account for some of the drop in mileage.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
Do they play around with fuel blends seasonally out there? Better mileage with a summer blend in colder temps?

Here in Chicagoland I see a big drop in gas mileage as the temps cool off. I've heard that we get a winter formulation gasoline that can account for some of the drop in mileage.

We get a higher corn-likker blend in the summer, here.
--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
Definitely tire pressure.  My Vic was, and the truck is, extremely sensitive to tire pressures below 35 psi.  If I let the pressure in the truck drop to 32-33 it will knock a full mpg off the economy (I run them at 40 psi).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB