Author Topic: Moar Quality Shoes - Boots  (Read 6894 times)

rcnixon

• friend
Re: Moar Quality Shoes - Boots
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
Red Wings.  Mine just got their first rebuild after ten years.  I had new Vibram(r) soles put on them.

Russ

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
Last set of red wings I had were terrible
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
Be careful with xelement gear

It doesn't crash that well
Got to be better than the old cowboy boots I had before. I'm building the equipment up incrementally.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
Got to be better than the old cowboy boots I had before. I'm building the equipment up incrementally.

Absolutely

Just make sure it's an intermediate step
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
I've been riding in these http://www.danner.com/boots/acadiar-mens-womens-uniform-boots.html for 10 years now.  I love Danner boots, have one pair for riding and alternate two for work.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
Alpinestars. Not cheap, but there's a reason for that. Actually, you might find some on sale for close to $100-150
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:13:16 PM by Lee »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
Got Red Wings.  All done.  Yay.  I like.  They are moar dakka than the old skechers I was using.

On a serious note, I've spent $150-ish on hiking boots before and had good boots for that purpose, but these are my first set of really good heavy duty protective boots.  I like how they fit and feel.  Pretty good gear.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »
This

Motorcycle specific boots have a number of design features designed to protect you from the unique brand of crazy that happens when you crash a motorcycle.

I wear my tourmaster boots in to work and swap into work shoes when I get there.

The one nasty bike crash I was in I was wearing a 4 day old pair of Redwing boots. Cost me better than $100 in 1979. The right one was pretty well ripped off my foot and I've got the scars to show where it was.

Barring a pair of MC specific boots Justin lace up work boots are pretty decent. Take the kiltie off and they are fairly innocuous
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4473-red-wing-shoes/4473-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-black

They used to produce these in 6" size.  I bought two pair (10YO and 5YO), one of which has been resoled.  Very supportive in ankle & arch, can walk or stand all day and built like a tank.  They take shoe polish & cream well and look good in a business environment.  I even got stuck wearing them with a navy blue blazer & khaki pants, once, at a social function during inclement weather.  I decided to spit shine them and got compliments.  ANd my feet stayed warm & dry.

This particular 8" version is beloved of firemen.  When my 10YO pair wears out its second sole, I will replace it with these puppies.

Note, these are not some sort of armored MC boot, but they protect my really bad ankle very well from blows/strikes.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Those look pretty good.  How good is the arch support?  I have narrow feet and high, rigid arches, so good support is necessary.

Also, is the steel toe uncomfortable?  Steel toe boots I've worn in the past tend to be rather uncomfortable in the toe area.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
  I even got stuck wearing them with a navy blue blazer & khaki pants, once, at a social function during inclement weather. 

Black shoes and khaki pants. Fashion faux pas.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
Those look pretty good.  How good is the arch support?  I have narrow feet and high, rigid arches, so good support is necessary.

Also, is the steel toe uncomfortable?  Steel toe boots I've worn in the past tend to be rather uncomfortable in the toe area.

Chris

Love mine.  Arch support is good enough for all day walking/wearing.  Mine have a somewhat less aggressive sole made for warehouse work.  The insole is not as squishy as some, but feels better after 12 hours than the squishmeisters.  I like the RW steel toes.  They are built big enough for toe wiggle room, bigger than most leather shoe toe boxes.  Avoid the non-metallic safety toes, though.  They require too much material to be as comfy.

One thing about arch support is that getting shoes of the proper width makes a big difference.  Sloppy side-to-side fit plays havoc with my arches.  RW offers them down to B width, which fit my dad's skinny feet. 

I wear 12D in every made in the USA RW shoe.  IOW, made in the USA RW shoes are consistent size-wise across model, style, and time.  I can order/purchase any of their made in the USA shoes and the shoe part will be the right dimensions.  I might not like some other feature, but fit will be right.   Get your feet measured at the RW dealer once and you are good to go.

Here is my older, resoled pair:

They no longer make these in black 6".  They make the black 8" and brown and maybe cordovan.

Baloney.  Black & khaki go together like peas & carrots.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »
Red Wing measured my feet and recommended shoes that were much smaller than I can comfortably wear. But that's OK. So did the guy at Ft. Benning. My feet must extend into some dimension that instruments cannot detect.???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »

Not so.  As long as your belt matches your shoes there's nothing wrong with black shoes and khakis.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
This. I wear Sidi Vertigo boots.

Here's the bare minimum I'd consider for boots.

Sidi vertigos for me as well.  I just leave my work shoes at work, and commute in my boots if riding or sneakers if driving.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
Not so.  As long as your belt matches your shoes there's nothing wrong with black shoes and khakis.
Yup.  I started moving to black after getting tired of the eleventy billion shades of "brown" present out there.  I can't seem to put together a belt, shoe, and holster combo that matches.  Black is easier. :D

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
Baloney.  Black & khaki go together like peas & carrots.

Peas and carrots do NOT go together. Especially not with baloney. Or Bologna.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

Negative.  Just ask the navy. 
And if you count OD as equally faux pas in the same vein (ie you only consider black shoes with charcoal, blue, grey, or black pants), then USMC would also beg to differ.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Negative.  Just ask the navy. 
And if you count OD as equally faux pas in the same vein (ie you only consider black shoes with charcoal, blue, grey, or black pants), then USMC would also beg to differ.

Hey, now. Let's not go asking the Navy for fashion advice. That's just obvious. And the Corps puts blue slacks with a khaki blouse - and then adds a red stripe to the pants.  :facepalm:

birdman

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »
Hey, now. Let's not go asking the Navy for fashion advice. That's just obvious. And the Corps puts blue slacks with a khaki blouse - and then adds a red stripe to the pants.  :facepalm:

I wasn't referring to corps dress uniforms (obviously) , I was referring to USMC service uniforms (khaki top, green bottom).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Just sayin. Navy or corps - wrong guys to ask for fashion advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »
Red Wing measured my feet and recommended shoes that were much smaller than I can comfortably wear. But that's OK. So did the guy at Ft. Benning. My feet must extend into some dimension that instruments cannot detect.???
Your feet are smaller in the morning, and expand later in the day. It's best to have them measured after you've been on your feet a while.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »
Your feet are smaller in the morning, and expand later in the day. It's best to have them measured after you've been on your feet a while.

No, I'd been on my feet for a while, in both cases.