Author Topic: Pass the Kool-Aid, please ...  (Read 2209 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Pass the Kool-Aid, please ...
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
Perhaps not a surprise that some private citizens are turning out to "guard" recruiting military centers. The same thing happened at a few schools around the country after Sandy Hook. What's perhaps surprising (or perhaps not) is the response from some corners of the .gov and .mil:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150722/us--chattanooga_shooting-guarding_recruiters-a9bc06147b.htmlard=5.0

Capt. Jim Stenger, a Marine Corps public affairs officer for the recruiting district that includes parts of seven Midwestern states, said he hopes the gun-toting civilians will go home.

"While we greatly appreciate the support of the American public during this tragedy, we ask that citizens do not stand guard at our recruiting offices," Stenger said in an emailed statement. "Our continued public trust lies among our trained first responders for the safety of the communities where we live and work."

Idiot.

The U.S. Army Recruiting Command doesn't have a position on the citizens' actions as long as they aren't disrupting the recruiting centers, spokesman Brian Lepley said.

He said that while tragic, such incidents have happened only twice in six years at recruiting centers: in Chattanooga last week, and in Little Rock, Arkansas, in a 2009 shooting that killed one soldier and injured another.

"Recruiting stations need to be out in the public; we need to be out where young people are," Lepley said. Most recruiters are Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans well trained in dealing with shooters, he added.

Only twice in six years. That statement sounds a lot like, "This is considered an acceptable rate of collateral damage." And how, exactly, does prior service prepare sandbox veterans to deal with shooters when they (the vets) are unarmed? Maybe I'm all wrong, but I kind of thought over there our guys were trained to shoot back when people shot at them. How are they "well trained" to deal with shooters when they aren't armed? Are they taught to run like a girl and hide under the nearest desk ... like we were taught to do in case of atomic bomb attack when I was in grammar school back in the '50s?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid, please ...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:58:47 AM »
Perhaps not a surprise that some private citizens are turning out to "guard" recruiting military centers. The same thing happened at a few schools around the country after Sandy Hook. What's perhaps surprising (or perhaps not) is the response from some corners of the .gov and .mil:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150722/us--chattanooga_shooting-guarding_recruiters-a9bc06147b.htmlard=5.0

Idiot.

Only twice in six years. That statement sounds a lot like, "This is considered an acceptable rate of collateral damage." And how, exactly, does prior service prepare sandbox veterans to deal with shooters when they (the vets) are unarmed? Maybe I'm all wrong, but I kind of thought over there our guys were trained to shoot back when people shot at them. How are they "well trained" to deal with shooters when they aren't armed? Are they taught to run like a girl and hide under the nearest desk ... like we were taught to do in case of atomic bomb attack when I was in grammar school back in the '50s?

Actually, Yes.  That is the DOD active shooter training.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
There is also (I'm paraphrasing here): As a last resort, fight back.  Be aggressive, and fight through pain.  Use improvised weapons, and do not stop until the threat has ceased.

So bonus points if you bludgeon a bad guy to death with a three-hole punch, I guess.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »
Never bring a three-hole paper punch to a gunfight.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:36:43 PM »
So what caliber does the single little punch equate to?  A .22 or .25?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »

The trick is to get the bad guy to stand still long enough for him to bleed out.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
So what caliber does the single little punch equate to?  A .22 or .25?

Depending on the manufacturer, .28 to .31.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
Actually, Yes.  That is the DOD active shooter training.

Do they at least put some kind of material in the desks to make it proper cover?

Because, back when I was visiting the local recruiting offices (nice, shiny new ones) it was all flimsy wooden desks and drywall offices. =|

There wasn't anything I saw that would stop a bullet.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
Do they at least put some kind of material in the desks to make it proper cover?

Because, back when I was visiting the local recruiting offices (nice, shiny new ones) it was all flimsy wooden desks and drywall offices. =|

GSA lowest bid. Much of it now likely Chinese.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
GSA lowest bid. Much of it now likely Chinese.

So, in addition to being unable to find cover in the event of an active shooter scenario, the recruiters will also get lead poisoning.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
So, in addition to being unable to find cover in the event of an active shooter scenario, the recruiters will also get lead poisoning.

Yes.  Several varieties.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 12:14:54 PM »

Were I a recruiter, I would build some cheap bookshelves around the walls and then order complete hard copies of all the Army, DOD, Navy, AF, USMC regulations, pamphlets, training docs, etc. I could find and stuff the shelves with them. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
Were I a recruiter, I would build some cheap bookshelves around the walls and then order complete hard copies of all the Army, DOD, Navy, AF, USMC regulations, pamphlets, training docs, etc. I could find and stuff the shelves with them. 

They don't issue hard copies of dod pubs anymore.  It's all online.

Foiled again. =D

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »

But if they lick the finish, the GHB will help with the pain.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
They don't issue hard copies of dod pubs anymore.  It's all online.

Foiled again. =D

Cartons and cartons of recruiting handouts.

Does slick paper allow a bullet to penetrate further or does it reduce penetration?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.