Author Topic: Stating Food Stamp Program Costs Would Reveal Trade Secrets?  (Read 2252 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Okay, I give up. Someone please explain to me how the govt telling us where $80 billion per year in food stamp program costs go would negatively affect "trade secrets". I'm honestly perplexed.

The department argues that doing so would amount to spilling trade secrets, according to the Times, by revealing how much food stamp cash each store is receiving.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/25/feds-keep-secret-how-billions-dollars-in-food-stamp-money-spent/?test=latestnews#ixzz1yrlrkqwd
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Stating Food Stamp Program Costs Would Reveal Trade Secrets?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
They just don't want to admit where the money is at.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
There is no food stamp program under the Obama administration. To say otherwise is raaaaaaaacist!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »
It's not a ridiculous claim if you think about it from the perspective of store owners - knowing how much comes in to an individual store is information competitors and creditors can use for all sorts of things.

I don't believe in government secrecy at all though, so I want to see the information released on principle.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »
Sorry, I don't buy the "trade secret" idea.  I don't see how it would affect a store financially either unless it was shown they were taking in more food stamps than they sold food.

ANY give away program the federal government funds should be 100% transparent. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
Don't think for a minute some chains don't put in stores with the idea of receiving steady food stamp income.  Milking uncle Sam and fleecing the people has long been a trade secret in many industries.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
I've released many federal documents in my time in which I removed Personally Identifiable Information. I don't see why the same can't be done here. Click on the Excel columns with the store name and exact address (keep the county) and hit delete, then disseminate the report.

The story was lacking in info, but it appeared to me the data requestors were more interested in how much money was going to admin costs, how much was going to food, and how much of that food might have been filet mignon, Fritos, etc. If they were interested in where it was being spent, for the purposes of the report it seems county level data would have been acceptable.

All that said, the closest store to my folks' place is a Food Max. My dad always complains because 90% of the time, he's the only guy in line actually paying for his food. That's not the case at another store a few miles further away, though both take the old EBT. So maybe people who use food stamps prefer certain stores, or certain stores are friendlier, or give deals to, people with food stamps.

If it's public (i.e., MY money), and it's being used on luxury food or junk food, I have a right to know, and it seems an establishment accepting public money has an obligation to provide the information. Obviously this wouldn't be the case with something like hospitals and medical records, but I can't find any reason to make food purchases using public funds private. If you don't want people to know what you buy at the grocery store, do what I do: Give a fake name and number for your "rewards card" and pay cash at the self checkout. My Ding Dongs are my business, but then I pay for them with my own money.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
I've released many federal documents in my time in which I removed Personally Identifiable Information. I don't see why the same can't be done here. Click on the Excel columns with the store name and exact address (keep the county) and hit delete, then disseminate the report.

The story was lacking in info, but it appeared to me the data requestors were more interested in how much money was going to admin costs, how much was going to food, and how much of that food might have been filet mignon, Fritos, etc. If they were interested in where it was being spent, for the purposes of the report it seems county level data would have been acceptable.

All that said, the closest store to my folks' place is a Food Max. My dad always complains because 90% of the time, he's the only guy in line actually paying for his food. That's not the case at another store a few miles further away, though both take the old EBT. So maybe people who use food stamps prefer certain stores, or certain stores are friendlier, or give deals to, people with food stamps.

If it's public (i.e., MY money), and it's being used on luxury food or junk food, I have a right to know, and it seems an establishment accepting public money has an obligation to provide the information. Obviously this wouldn't be the case with something like hospitals and medical records, but I can't find any reason to make food purchases using public funds private. If you don't want people to know what you buy at the grocery store, do what I do: Give a fake name and number for your "rewards card" and pay cash at the self checkout. My Ding Dongs are my business, but then I pay for them with my own money.

Keep Your Laws Off My Twinkies!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »
If it's public (i.e., MY money), and it's being used on luxury food or junk food, I have a right to know

Hell, I'll tell you that right now. Rest assured your money is being used on very expensive name brand foods and lots of junk food, too. See it every time I go to the grocery store.

I know some people on EBT who use it responsibly- trying to get the most out of it to feed their families. They buy the cheapest items that are EBT eligible and try to fix as many of their meals from scratch vs. buying junk food. But they are very much in the minority.

The bureaucrats don't want you to know anything about where the money is going, and that's the simple truth.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!