Author Topic: So who's going to fly Iraq's new planes?  (Read 2705 times)

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
So who's going to fly Iraq's new planes?
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
This morning I read that Iraq was going to take delivery of some used fighters from both Belarus and Russia.
Then,I read this:
http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/iran-transfers-88-russian-sukhoi-fighter-planes-iraq/
Soooo,my question still is,who's pilots are going to fly these?The Iraqi PM said that they'd be in the air and making a difference within a week.From what I read there haven't been Sukhois in the arsenal in decades.It'll take time to (re-)train pilots to fly them.

Or did I miss something?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28042302

Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has told the BBC that he hopes jets from Russia and Belarus will turn the tide against rebels in the coming days.

"God willing within one week this force will be effective and will destroy the terrorists' dens," he said.
jeff w

I like onions!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: So who's going to fly Iraq's new planes?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Iranian pilots most likely.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »

"God willing " he said.

insha'Allah  = it's all in G-d's hands.  So if it happens G-d willed it.  If it didn't, then G-d didn't want it to.   Which means that there's no real plan to do it, just hope.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Pilots to fly them?  I doubt Iran has been doing PM on them for 20 years.  I doubt a single plane could manage to get down the runway.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:29:40 PM »
Pilots to fly them?  I doubt Iran has been doing PM on them for 20 years.  I doubt a single plane could manage to get down the runway.

Good point.

There seems to be um... "It's the thought that counts" type of stuff in their culture to go with the "Insha'Allah" attitude.  =D
I promise not to duck.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »

"He(Maliki-from the BBC linky above) said Iraq was acquiring second-hand jet fighters from Russia and Belarus "that should arrive in Iraq in two or three days"

I suppose it IS a bit vague.I've read fighters re-patriated to Iraq from Iran and others coming from the Putin group.I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the Russian planes would be flyable.
jeff w

I like onions!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

Maybe they're hoping some of our transport planes can tow them up to 30,000 or so.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:15:04 PM »
"He(Maliki-from the BBC linky above) said Iraq was acquiring second-hand jet fighters from Russia and Belarus "that should arrive in Iraq in two or three days"

I suppose it IS a bit vague.I've read fighters re-patriated to Iraq from Iran and others coming from the Putin group.I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the Russian planes would be flyable.

If those, then they might not be wrecks. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
If those, then they might not be wrecks.

Yet.  Give them a chance.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
. . . Soooo,my question still is,who's pilots are going to fly these?The Iraqi PM said that they'd be in the air and making a difference within a week . . .
Same kind of folks who helped Iran with their nuke program - unemployed FSU - Former Soviet Union - personnel. ("Volunteers" perhaps, like the ones who flew Mig 15s for the Norks during the Korean War?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
I think Hank has nailed it.  I have no special insight, but I believe you can buy anything from the right Russian, including Russian pilots.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
I think Hank has nailed it.  I have no special insight, but I believe you can buy anything from the right Russian, including Russian pilots.
Probably not enough vodka in Iraq to get the Russians to fly those museum pieces.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »
Seems to me I recall that there's something different about Russian aircraft instrumentation that could make things VERY interesting for any pilot trained to fly American or western European planes. IIRC it's the artificial horizon -- something about it operating reverse from the way ours do, which can be disorienting to pilots not fully accustomed to it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
Seems to me I recall that there's something different about Russian aircraft instrumentation that could make things VERY interesting for any pilot trained to fly American or western European planes. IIRC it's the artificial horizon -- something about it operating reverse from the way ours do, which can be disorienting to pilots not fully accustomed to it.

I recall that the USAF had gotten their hands on a mig15 or mig17 and they brought Chuck Yeager out to evaluate it and find its limits.  I recall two bits about that:
1. I think Chuck liked it.
2. Years later when speaking with Russian pilot about the mig model in question, the Russian pilot thought Yeager was nuts for pushing it the way he had.

So maybe you're right, not enough vodka and crazy Russian pilots.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »
Yeager got to be buds with Viktor Belenko, who absconded to Japan with a Mig Foxbat.  As the US studied more, the less capable the Mig-25 seemed to be.  Mighty damned fast, tho'.  It was originally designed to be able to intercept the B-70.  D'oh!
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »
Yeager got to be buds with Viktor Belenko, who absconded to Japan with a Mig Foxbat.  As the US studied more, the less capable the Mig-25 seemed to be.  Mighty damned fast, tho'.  It was originally designed to be able to intercept the B-70.  D'oh!

The MiG 25 Foxbat was fairly capable -- but only within a narrow parameter ascribed primarily to an interceptor.
American fighter tech advanced well but the tech was so expensive the plane was normally designed to do more than one particular task well; that is to be as adaptable as possible.  The F-15 Eagle has proven to be such a vehicle.  The Russians, being not quite as developed, didn't play that game.  They tended to design their planes for one specific task, and be as good as possible at it.
The Foxbat was clocked flying over a mideast country and landing in Egypt once at Mach 3+ speeds.  This was well above what similar American Fighters could do (the SR 71 was not considered a "fighter" at the time).  This scared the **** out of American Inteligence.  The fact it's engines had fried themselves into crispy critters and were replaced didn't raise eyebrows since we didn't "get" the idea that a pilot would deliberatly do that to a plane as it might prove suicidal (!! ya THINK!!!).   With Viktor Belenko's defection came the knowledge this was a common occurance at Mach 3+ speeds and pilots were therefor forbidden to push the Foxbat that fast for no good reason.
It's mid 1970s radar suite was full of vacuum tube electronics, which shocked us regarding its primitiveness, until it was pointed out the radar was so powerful it literally burned through many electronic countermeasures we had.  In fact, operating the radar while running along on the ground taxiing ,  landing, or taking off would would often cook any small animals that the radar beam intercepted.  Belenko said one Russian high officer who was reported to be rather an animal lover issued standing orders not to turn the radar on until after take off and to turn it off before landing, due to this.  
It had an fuselage made with aluminum which made American experts wonder how it could be a Mach 3 jet as the friction would melt  it.  Belenko respponded that at high altitude, the air was thinner, the friction therefor was less and the machine could withstand the forces there, so they simply didn't fly it fast at lower altitudes.
Insofar as dogfighting abilities, it had none.  It couldn't take on an F-15 Eagle --- in fact, it could not out dogfight an older F-4 Phantom.
It's role was as an interceptor ONLY and it had been designed solely to counter the B-70 Valkyrie.  America cancelled that worthy craft but beurocratic inertia in the Russian system kept the Foxbat production going ... after all, it WAS a triumph of Russian high tech -- after all, it scared the **** out us. >:D
Belenko made some other revelations about the Foxbat that revealed that even in its primary role to kill the Valkyrie, it would not, in fact, have been able to do very well at that.  But, hey, it SCARED American Air Force Jocks!
After we tore Belenko's MiG-25 apart at the Japanese airport, we boxed up the parts, and shipped them back to the Soviets, embarrassing them, and displeasing Viktor Belenko, who had considered the plane a gift to America, a country he had hopes of moving to and obtaining citizenship.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »
The MiG 25 Foxbat was fairly capable -- but only within a narrow parameter ascribed primarily to an interceptor.
American fighter tech advanced well but the tech was so expensive the plane was normally designed to do more than one particular task well; that is to be as adaptable as possible.  The F-15 Eagle has proven to be such a vehicle.  The Russians, being not quite as developed, didn't play that game.  They tended to design their planes for one specific task, and be as good as possible at it.
The Foxbat was clocked flying over a mideast country and landing in Egypt once at Mach 3+ speeds.  This was well above what similar American Fighters could do (the SR 71 was not considered a "fighter" at the time).  This scared the **** out of American Inteligence.  The fact it's engines had fried themselves into crispy critters and were replaced didn't raise eyebrows since we didn't "get" the idea that a pilot would deliberatly do that to a plane as it might prove suicidal (!! ya THINK!!!).   With Viktor Belenko's defection came the knowledge this was a common occurance at Mach 3+ speeds and pilots were therefor forbidden to push the Foxbat that fast for no good reason.
It's mid 1970s radar suite was full of vacuum tube electronics, which shocked us regarding its primitiveness, until it was pointed out the radar was so powerful it literally burned through many electronic countermeasures we had.  In fact, operating the radar while running along on the ground taxiing ,  landing, or taking off would would often cook any small animals that the radar beam intercepted.  Belenko said one Russian high officer who was reported to be rather an animal lover issued standing orders not to turn the radar on until after take off and to turn it off before landing, due to this.  
It had an fuselage made with aluminum which made American experts wonder how it could be a Mach 3 jet as the friction would melt  it.  Belenko respponded that at high altitude, the air was thinner, the friction therefor was less and the machine could withstand the forces there, so they simply didn't fly it fast at lower altitudes.
Insofar as dogfighting abilities, it had none.  It couldn't take on an F-15 Eagle --- in fact, it could not out dogfight an older F-4 Phantom.
It's role was as an interceptor ONLY and it had been designed solely to counter the B-70 Valkyrie.  America cancelled that worthy craft but beurocratic inertia in the Russian system kept the Foxbat production going ... after all, it WAS a triumph of Russian high tech -- after all, it scared the **** out us. >:D
Belenko made some other revelations about the Foxbat that revealed that even in its primary role to kill the Valkyrie, it would not, in fact, have been able to do very well at that.  But, hey, it SCARED American Air Force Jocks!
After we tore Belenko's MiG-25 apart at the Japanese airport, we boxed up the parts, and shipped them back to the Soviets, embarrassing them, and displeasing Viktor Belenko, who had considered the plane a gift to America, a country he had hopes of moving to and obtaining citizenship.

Wow! Great post dude!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
American fighter tech advanced well but the tech was so expensive the plane was normally designed to do more than one particular task well; that is to be as adaptable as possible.  The F-15 Eagle has proven to be such a vehicle.  The Russians, being not quite as developed, didn't play that game.  They tended to design their planes for one specific task, and be as good as possible at it.
The Foxbat was clocked flying over a mideast country and landing in Egypt once at Mach 3+ speeds.  This was well above what similar American Fighters could do (the SR 71 was not considered a "fighter" at the time).  This scared the **** out of American Inteligence.  The fact it's engines had fried themselves into crispy critters and were replaced didn't raise eyebrows since we didn't "get" the idea that a pilot would deliberatly do that to a plane as it might prove suicidal (!! ya THINK!!!).   With Viktor Belenko's defection came the knowledge this was a common occurance at Mach 3+ speeds and pilots were therefor forbidden to push the Foxbat that fast for no good reason.
It's mid 1970s radar suite was full of vacuum tube electronics, which shocked us regarding its primitiveness, until it was pointed out the radar was so powerful it literally burned through many electronic countermeasures we had.  In fact, operating the radar while running along on the ground taxiing ,  landing, or taking off would would often cook any small animals that the radar beam intercepted.  Belenko said one Russian high officer who was reported to be rather an animal lover issued standing orders not to turn the radar on until after take off and to turn it off before landing, due to this. 
It had an fuselage made with aluminum which made American experts wonder how it could be a Mach 3 jet as the friction would melt  it.  Belenko respponded that at high altitude, the air was thinner, the friction therefor was less and the machine could withstand the forces there, so they simply didn't fly it fast at lower altitudes.
Insofar as dogfighting abilities, it had none.  It couldn't take on an F-15 Eagle --- in fact, it could not out dogfight an older F-4 Phantom.
It's role was as an interceptor ONLY and it had been designed solely to counter the B-70 Valkyrie.  America cancelled that worthy craft but beurocratic inertia in the Russian system kept the Foxbat production going ... after all, it WAS a triumph of Russian high tech -- after all, it scared the **** out us. >:D
Belenko made some other revelations about the Foxbat that revealed that even in its primary role to kill the Valkyrie, it would not, in fact, have been able to do very well at that.  But, hey, it SCARED American Air Force Jocks!

From what I understand the Mig 25 was mostly stainless steel with a limited amount of aluminum and titanium. The Russians would have preferred to use Titanium but the expense and technical difficulties precluded it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
From what I understand the Mig 25 was mostly stainless steel with a limited amount of aluminum and titanium. The Russians would have preferred to use Titanium but the expense and technical difficulties precluded it.

???  Maybe ....  the thing I recall most was that it would not have withstood friction at high mach speeds at low altitude so the Russians simply limited the high speeds for upper atmospheric performance where the air is thinner.  The book I read made it seems the Americans were somehow surprised at this yet it seemed to me it's basic physics.   
The Russians did not have the high-tech ingenuity we Americans had.  That doesn't mean they were dumb and they were often both very practical and imaginative in how they designed their jets.  For example the MiG-15, while not as good in some ways as the roughly equivelant F-86 Sabre we had, had a suite of cannons and machineguns mounted on a pallet under the nose.  The whole thing could be switched out en masse with a preloaded one to "reload" the weapons during wartime conditions, a design element Americans apparently never learned and certainly did not have in the Sabre Fighterjet.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
Apparently only seven Sukhois went to Iran.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28125687

"Contrary to Iraqi wishes, these aircraft were retained and later brought into Iranian service."
"Of course it is much harder to determine who is actually flying the aircraft."

"Imagery analysis," he says, "makes this the most logical conclusion. The markings, serial numbers and camouflage all fit with what we know of the Iranian fleet."
"Ironically, the majority of these aircraft used to be part of the Iraqi Air Force - seven Su-25s sought refuge in Iran during the First Gulf War."

Interesting.I wonder if the American drones will be targeted by the Iranians?
jeff w

I like onions!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
Su 25s ....
Saw pictures of them on cable TV news.  IIRC they are Cold War era relics that were ground attack aircraft roughly like our A-10 Warthog just not as ugly or able.   But probably effective enough for their intended use.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
Su 25s ....
Saw pictures of them on cable TV news.  IIRC they are Cold War era relics that were ground attack aircraft roughly like our A-10 Warthog just not as ugly or able.   But probably effective enough for their intended use.

We, OTOH, are getting ready to send them 30+ F-16s.  Air superiority fighters.  Because, you know, ISIS has such an impressive air force.

They'll have pilots trained up in a couple years, so they can use them against us or our allies.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
I know we aren't cold realistic enough to do this, but I harbor fanatsies that one day we'll find out that all the advanced military hardware we sell everyone has a shutdown code hardwired in to it.

Like the Cylons, we'll precede our attack with a shutdown signal and everything will just .......stop.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
I know we aren't cold realistic enough to do this, but I harbor fanatsies that one day we'll find out that all the advanced military hardware we sell everyone has a shutdown code hardwired in to it.

Like the Cylons, we'll precede our attack with a shutdown signal and everything will just .......stop.

That would make way too much sense.  Too bad we didn't infest all the left-behind uniforms and such that ISIS already has with something quick and painful.