Author Topic: So, what would you carry?  (Read 1791 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
So, what would you carry?
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
So I saw Spectre over the weekend.  Fun flick.  Old school Bond story.  Anyways, I laughed when Bond headed off to obvious danger with onky his PPK and (apparently) the mag in the pistol.  Anyways, my BIL, whose gun knowledge is based entirely on Hollywood portrayals, asked what I would have taken.  Which led me to thinking...if I was a Bond-type agent, what would my gear be?  And I knew some of you would play along.  So, here's the game.  Choose your weapons. Restrict it to what is commercially available (no Q branch specials).  I'll start.

My maximum concealment gun: SIG P232.  Smallest gun I like to carry.  Beat the J Frame because of suppressor compatibility.
Usual carry gun: Walther here, the P99 I never should have traded away.  Accurate in my hands like no other. Hides like my Glock 19 (my 2nd choice).
Car pistol/open carry gun:  Glock 21.  A .45 with big mags. Light on the rail.
Long gun:  Why Bond rarely carried a long gun, I don't know.  But I'd keep an AR in .300 Blackout with suppressor, optic, and all the bells and whistles.  Put it in a trunk compartment with a Benelli M4.
Finally,  a selection of fixed blade and folding knives. Kills me that Bond rarely has a knife when he needs one.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »
A toothpick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:56:28 PM »
A toothpick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

a bobby pin
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: So, what would you carry?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:58:44 PM »
So I saw Spectre over the weekend.  Fun flick.  Old school Bond story.  Anyways, I laughed when Bond headed off to obvious danger with onky his PPK and (apparently) the mag in the pistol.  Anyways, my BIL, whose gun knowledge is based entirely on Hollywood portrayals, asked what I would have taken.  Which led me to thinking...if I was a Bond-type agent, what would my gear be?  And I knew some of you would play along.  So, here's the game.  Choose your weapons. Restrict it to what is commercially available (no Q branch specials).  I'll start.

My maximum concealment gun: SIG P232.  Smallest gun I like to carry.  Beat the J Frame because of suppressor compatibility.
Usual carry gun: Walther here, the P99 I never should have traded away.  Accurate in my hands like no other. Hides like my Glock 19 (my 2nd choice).
Car pistol/open carry gun:  Glock 21.  A .45 with big mags. Light on the rail.
Long gun:  Why Bond rarely carried a long gun, I don't know.  But I'd keep an AR in .300 Blackout with suppressor, optic, and all the bells and whistles.  Put it in a trunk compartment with a Benelli M4.
Finally,  a selection of fixed blade and folding knives. Kills me that Bond rarely has a knife when he needs one.

I'll play.

My maximum concealment gun:
SIG 938.  I don't own one but would like to.  Maybe 1911 OACP in 9mm or .45ACP

Usual carry gun:
S&W 1911 E-Series in .45ACP

Car pistol/open carry gun: 
S&W 1911TA E-Series in .45ACP.  Has rail and would affix weapon light.

Long gun: 
S&W M&P10 in either 7.62 or a custom bbl/chamber in .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoore.  BUIS, Trijicon ACOG  4x of some sort, weapon light, shooting sling.  Also, Remington 11-87P, 14"bbl, Trijicon reflex sight, sling, loaded with Brenneke slugs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:09:28 PM »
Pocket carry: Kel-Tec P3AT

EDC/OC: GLOCK 19 9mm

Long Gun: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm w/red dot, laser, irons, light and still folds.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »
Long Gun: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm w/red dot, laser, irons, light and still folds.

If you're stepping up to a long gun, wouldn't you at least like to step up to something that can reach a few hundred yards? How much range do you get with a 9mm Sub 2000? If you want a Kel-Tec long gun, why not at least an SU-16, in 5.56?

Do you really see James Bond carrying anything Kel-Tec, though?  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 01:55:37 AM »
I have it, it shares mags with other guns, it has low recoil, stores REAL easily, is dependable (as all my Kel-Tecs have been) and wasn't outrageously expensive though it did command a premium at the time I bought it. Also, I was forced to sell all my larger long guns and shotguns due to my eyes. I have Lattice Degeneration and am at high risk of retina detachment from recoil or any blows to my head these days.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »
Bond is a spy and an assassin, he needs to be able to have moves like Jager, get in, get out, seduce the woman. Carrying the PPK or Beretta 418 makes the most sense for EDC due to his mission. Nothing says that he can't have a small arsenal in the trunk of his Austin Martin or BMW.

In the trunk, HK MP5 with suppressor for offensive/defensive work and Rem 700 heavy barrel in .308 or .300WM with a suppressor for any distance activities.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 07:18:27 AM »
I have it, it shares mags with other guns, it has low recoil, stores REAL easily, is dependable (as all my Kel-Tecs have been) and wasn't outrageously expensive though it did command a premium at the time I bought it. Also, I was forced to sell all my larger long guns and shotguns due to my eyes. I have Lattice Degeneration and am at high risk of retina detachment from recoil or any blows to my head these days.

You would definitely make for a very different Bond, I suppose.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
A 7.65 Walther PPK.

Hits like a brick through a plate glass window, don't you know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »
A 7.65 Walther PPK.

Hits like a brick through a plate glass window, don't you know.

And I suppose you'll carry it in a Berns-Martin Triple Draw shoulder holster, or maybe a generic shoulder holster made from chamois leather?   ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
In the kel tec sub2000s favor it does fold in half.  Q would have approved.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
And I suppose you'll carry it in a Berns-Martin Triple Draw shoulder holster, or maybe a generic shoulder holster made from chamois leather?   ;)

When it came to knowing the Berns Martin product line, Ian Flemming was an idiot.

I've used a Berns Martin, and I absolutely hated it.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »
When it came to knowing the Berns Martin product line, Ian Flemming was an idiot.

I've used a Berns Martin, and I absolutely hated it.

From what I've read, Fleming had a recommendation of either the PPK or a snub revolver for Bond.  The recommendation was for the Triple Draw for the revolver.  Fleming liked the PPK name, and the detail of the Triple Draw holster, and never got that the triple Draw was designed to hold the cylinder of the revolver.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
If you're stepping up to a long gun, wouldn't you at least like to step up to something that can reach a few hundred yards? How much range do you get with a 9mm Sub 2000? If you want a Kel-Tec long gun, why not at least an SU-16, in 5.56?

Do you really see James Bond carrying anything Kel-Tec, though?  =|

The question that plagues Bond fans... is the gadget cool, so Bond chooses it, or is the gadget cool because Bond uses it?  from what I understand, a lot of spooks started carrying PPKs in the 60s and 70s because of Bond.  It wasn't such a cool pistol outside of the gun community before Bond started carrying one...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
It doesn't matter.  In modern movies, the gun must be dropped or kicked out of the hand to allow for the flashy martial arts hand-to-hand combat scenes.  

That said, a British secret agent would likely have Sig/HK/Beretta hardware if he went away from the Walther stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
Upon seeing the thread title, I thought this would be about what to carry for the potential of the a terierorist attack with multiple gun men. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »
I once owned a PPK/s. I'm sorry I sold it, because it's a cool gun, but I would not bet my life on one, and not just because of the caliber (in fact didn't Bond use .32 vs .380?).

If I had to be movie James Bond with the tightly tailored clothing, I guess I'd carry whatever was well concealable and reliable. If I was a real spy, I'd carry as close to full size as I could, for those situations where you would actually even carry a gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
I still have a beautiful deep blued PPK/s in .380.  It is one of the Manhurin Walthers made back in the 80's.  Beautiful machining.  I quickly learned to not grip it too high, lest the slide bite me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
Glock 43, +2 mag extensions. Assuming my 26 was too fat for spy work.

I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
Colt .25acp, why would a double nought need more? [popcorn] >:D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »
Back in Bond's day? ASP 9mm

Today? Glock 43 with a suppressor
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:58 AM »
Taurus judge.

Actually, a cool soviet design - PSS.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »
I'd prefer to be a bond villain and carry a John Ross Performance Center S&W .500- or at least have a midget in my entourage to carry it for me.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama