Author Topic: Looky here: new nuclear reactors being built in the USA  (Read 5346 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Looky here: new nuclear reactors being built in the USA
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:57:49 AM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nuclear-power-far-from-dead-as-us-sees-startup-of-first-reactor-in-20-years-2016-06-14?siteid=rss&rss=1

I had no idea.  Speaking of which, are we any closer to building a permanent waste depository?  Is the facility in Nevada still pretty much dead?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Looky here: new nuclear reactors being built in the USA
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »
Maybe we could sell the waste to Iran.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nuclear-power-far-from-dead-as-us-sees-startup-of-first-reactor-in-20-years-2016-06-14?siteid=rss&rss=1

I had no idea.  Speaking of which, are we any closer to building a permanent waste depository?  Is the facility in Nevada still pretty much dead?

Thank Harry Reid. Middle of nowhere, perfect place. Greenies killed uranium mining here in VA.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »

There's 4 more reactors in the works, but that's still depressingly low. We should be replacing reactors with standardized units for cost effectiveness, safety, reliability and availability of parts. Let everyone else burn fossil fuels for grid power or overpay with wind/solar.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »
There's 4 more reactors in the works, but that's still depressingly low. We should be replacing reactors with standardized units for cost effectiveness, safety, reliability and availability of parts. Let everyone else burn fossil fuels for grid power or overpay with wind/solar.

Word.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
Speaking of which, are we any closer to building a permanent waste depository?  Is the facility in Nevada still pretty much dead?

Just dump it over here, next to the landfill fire. 's all good.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »
I still think the waste should be shot at the sun.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »

Why? It came out of the ground, it can go back. Much easier to bury it on the continental shelf at a subduction zone. Plus, spent fuel can be reprocessed and used again for a net energy gain.

And we could use the Americium 241 for RTG's for deep space probes where longevity is more important than energy density, and Pu239 for propulsion bombs for Orion starships.

We'd have to get an addendum to the Non Proliferation Treaty, or just honeybadger it, and tell the rest of the world to FOAD. Who wouldn't want Walmarts and McDonalds on the moons of Jupiter?
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »

Just think of the near panic when the booster rocket explodes on lift off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »

Indeed.  I think that the number should be an order of magnitude higher.

Approximately 100 nuclear power plants is enough to provide roughly 20% of our electricity.  Keep in mind that each plant has 1-4 reactors.  So, roughly speaking, 400 1GW reactors would be able to provide 100%.  Not really, because demand is uneven, but as they come online I figure that electricity would become cheap enough that we'd want to use more electricity for various things.  Electric cars, maybe.  More industry.  Etc...

Anyways, let's say that the reactors have a median life expectancy of 50 years, and the idea eventually becomes one that we build a new reactor next to the old one, tear down the old one, then build a new one on the same spot when the one next door starts getting old.  That translates to 8 reactors coming online a year, and if construction takes 5 years, that means you need to be building 40 at any one time at various stages of completion.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 08:13:25 PM »
. . . Speaking of which, are we any closer to building a permanent waste depository?  Is the facility in Nevada still pretty much dead?
Why not just check the waste as baggage on American Airlines, or perhaps send it through USPS at the Chicago office, with a FIREARMS label?

In either case, no human being will ever see it again . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 11:37:57 PM »

That isn't realistically possible. It is actually not at all easy to get something to crash into the sun; you first have to decelerate it enough to knock it out of the sun's orbit. If you're sending it from Earth, you'd have to decelerate it most of the way from 67,000mph, and that takes a lot of fuel, particularly since fuel costs increase drastically the heavier something gets. And that's not counting the cost to get it into Earth orbit to begin with.

It would be cheaper to get rid of it literally any other way.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 12:01:23 AM »
Dixie Lee Ray recommended many years ago to encapsule the waste in lead, wrap it in very thick glass, stick it in a rocket and drive it into the silt at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.  Even in the unlikely event the capsule fractured (nearly an impossibility according to her)  The depth of the ocean and volume of the water the distribution of the problem would be insignificant.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »

I know many folks here are not overly fond of France... But we're insanely hilariously backwards compared to their nuclear program.

France has 58 working nuclear plants, generating 75% of its national power grid. I say again, 75%. Three quarters. We're at 20%. A third of our power is coal fired, which releases a LOT more hard radiation than nuclear power. Gewehr could probably tell you which stuck out more on airborne radiation detection platforms.

They reprocess spent reactor fuel. We really don't. We take perfectly usable fuel, and treat it like waste. That's essentially like using maybe 5-10% of the fuel in your car's gas tank, putting the remainder of the gas in a tank outside your house and refilling your car. Then complaining that tank is dangerous.  ;/

They stuck to one design. Driving down cost, easing safety compliance, reducing part availability issues.

France actually educates its citizenry on nuclear power. Our education doesn't, and unfortunately even propagandizes against it.

They didn't bury their waste. They "stockpiled it". Above ground. More expensive, but people right or wrongly didn't psychologically want nuclear waste buried under their towns. If it's in the psychological equivalent of a well guarded warehouse, it doesn't freak people out as much. More expensive, less secure, but people don't worry nearly as much. Worth the cost. Meuse/Haute Marne Underground Research Laboratory will essentially be an underground storage facility, but it sounds better than "nuclear waste dump".

Normally, I roll my eyes at people who think Europe is better than the US in every regard. Even in this case, most of Europe is backwards, provincial and uneducated. France however puts us to shame. 

We should emulate them. A minimum of 75% of our power from fissionables, reprocess waste, take care of the PR aspects of leftover fuel storage (NOT 'nuclear waste', leftover fuel for future use), unified designs in as few combinations as plausible, rolling construction/decomissioning and educating the citizenry.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »

Rev for Secretary of Energy.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Looky here: new nuclear reactors being built in the USA
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
Rev for Secretary of Energy.
Plus one.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »
a Brother in Law of mine, is pretty high up in The Southern Company.  He is working on the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant Units 3 and 4 in Georgia.  Lots of interesting stories about how .gov is fighting this all the way.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »
I know many folks here are not overly fond of France... But we're insanely hilariously backwards compared to their nuclear program.

France has 58 working nuclear plants, generating 75% of its national power grid. I say again, 75%. Three quarters. We're at 20%. A third of our power is coal fired, which releases a LOT more hard radiation than nuclear power. Gewehr could probably tell you which stuck out more on airborne radiation detection platforms.

They reprocess spent reactor fuel. We really don't. We take perfectly usable fuel, and treat it like waste. That's essentially like using maybe 5-10% of the fuel in your car's gas tank, putting the remainder of the gas in a tank outside your house and refilling your car. Then complaining that tank is dangerous.  ;/

They stuck to one design. Driving down cost, easing safety compliance, reducing part availability issues.

France actually educates its citizenry on nuclear power. Our education doesn't, and unfortunately even propagandizes against it.

They didn't bury their waste. They "stockpiled it". Above ground. More expensive, but people right or wrongly didn't psychologically want nuclear waste buried under their towns. If it's in the psychological equivalent of a well guarded warehouse, it doesn't freak people out as much. More expensive, less secure, but people don't worry nearly as much. Worth the cost. Meuse/Haute Marne Underground Research Laboratory will essentially be an underground storage facility, but it sounds better than "nuclear waste dump".

Normally, I roll my eyes at people who think Europe is better than the US in every regard. Even in this case, most of Europe is backwards, provincial and uneducated. France however puts us to shame. 

We should emulate them. A minimum of 75% of our power from fissionables, reprocess waste, take care of the PR aspects of leftover fuel storage (NOT 'nuclear waste', leftover fuel for future use), unified designs in as few combinations as plausible, rolling construction/decomissioning and educating the citizenry.

I agree, except I don't think we should only have one design. Given the size of our country, comparatively, we ought to standardize a few designs (while investing in research towards others) to better be able to compare risks and performance over time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »
I agree, except I don't think we should only have one design. Given the size of our country, comparatively, we ought to standardize a few designs (while investing in research towards others) to better be able to compare risks and performance over time.

I would agree in a sane world. Completely and unreservedly agree. If we were living in a world of efficiency, logic and reason. Or even 'bare minimum competence'. We don't live in that kind of world. Our reactor lifespans, political process and judicial theatrics make for very very long uphill battles to get a commercial reactor running. Assuming we don't go Full Russian Retard when it comes to reactor design, one design with differing model types is 'better' in real world commercial operator terms. However, research reactors are surprisingly much easier to get licensed. But are intentionally capped from many useful things, including making money. Because unshockingly, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is about as pro-capitalism as Joseph Stalin.

So, I very much agree with you, but unfortunately our government sucks and we have too many stupid people with strong ideological opposition to science and engineering. At the moment, we do exactly what you say. "standardize to a few designs to better be able to compare risks and performance over time". In other words, virtually every reactor in the US is a one-off with no standardization. That's the real world results of what you recommend. Driving up costs and increasing construction by years or decades. Each is like a special and unique snowflake.

Unfortunately, with nuclear engineering, math and engineering isn't remotely as important as understanding the nuances of the stupidity of anti-nuclear groups like the government, hippies and morons. They each have their own differing aspects of blind ideology, anti-science bias, willful stupidity, entitlement behavior and general obnoxiousness. They seem similar, but at the microscopic level, it's an infinite fractal of stupidity.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »
The only way to drive the costs down is cookie cutter them and mass produce.
Practically everyone in the US is different.
I forget the name right now but google up the one they use in Canada. They are all the same basic design and if I remember correctly they don't even need to shut them down to refuel them.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Looky here: new nuclear reactors being built in the USA
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »
Maybe we could sell the waste to Iran.
There's always Detroit....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 12:59:11 AM »
Why not Thorium.  From my understanding it processes (re-processes) itself into something rather harmless.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 03:42:36 AM »
Because we haven't developed thorium into a real reactor yet.  Our knowledge on it is actually less than we had 40 years ago because the idiot in charge of the NRC was all 'defund everything that isn't fast breeder reactor!'

Despite a whole lot of knowledge gained relatively cheaply with our test molten salt reactor that their budget request to make an actual test plant that would produce electricity and breed and all that being about 1% of the budget of the fast breeder that ended up going nowhere itself.

Now India and China are working on the tech.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 10:04:25 AM »
The only way to drive the costs down is cookie cutter them and mass produce.
Practically everyone in the US is different.
I forget the name right now but google up the one they use in Canada. They are all the same basic design and if I remember correctly they don't even need to shut them down to refuel them.

It isn't the only way.  Getting the onerous govt regulation cut back to sane levels is another way.  Neither is probably realistic.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
I would agree in a sane world. Completely and unreservedly agree. If we were living in a world of efficiency, logic and reason. Or even 'bare minimum competence'. We don't live in that kind of world. Our reactor lifespans, political process and judicial theatrics make for very very long uphill battles to get a commercial reactor running. Assuming we don't go Full Russian Retard when it comes to reactor design, one design with differing model types is 'better' in real world commercial operator terms. However, research reactors are surprisingly much easier to get licensed. But are intentionally capped from many useful things, including making money. Because unshockingly, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is about as pro-capitalism as Joseph Stalin.

So, I very much agree with you, but unfortunately our government sucks and we have too many stupid people with strong ideological opposition to science and engineering. At the moment, we do exactly what you say. "standardize to a few designs to better be able to compare risks and performance over time". In other words, virtually every reactor in the US is a one-off with no standardization. That's the real world results of what you recommend. Driving up costs and increasing construction by years or decades. Each is like a special and unique snowflake.

Unfortunately, with nuclear engineering, math and engineering isn't remotely as important as understanding the nuances of the stupidity of anti-nuclear groups like the government, hippies and morons. They each have their own differing aspects of blind ideology, anti-science bias, willful stupidity, entitlement behavior and general obnoxiousness. They seem similar, but at the microscopic level, it's an infinite fractal of stupidity.

Don't forget about coal, oil, and natural gas interests that probably push their own influence to keep using those technologies for most of our power.  Those are a big reason why we don't have a bunch of nuclear reactors like France.  We haven't been forced to.  We have a lot of our own coal, natural gas, and oil so we have cheap alternatives to nuclear.  Not all countries can say that. 

The sad part of this IMO is that environmentalists can't pull their heads out long enough to realize that nuclear power plants are cleaner with less impact than most alternatives.