Author Topic: "Myself"  (Read 3167 times)

MattC

• friend
Re: "Myself"
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
Mike, "like" is actually more appropriate than "as" in my previous post.  The posters previously did not state that I am irritated by mis-spoken cliches.  They expressed their own irritation, and I commented that my feelings have a likeness to theirs.  "Similar" would have been a more prescriptive word choice however, I am two generations into the the American culture where "like" is an acceptable and appropriate synonym for "similar."  grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
Mike, "like" is actually more appropriate than "as" in my previous post.  The posters previously did not state that I am irritated by mis-spoken cliches.  They expressed their own irritation, and I commented that my feelings have a likeness to theirs.  "Similar" would have been a more prescriptive word choice however, I am two generations into the the American culture where "like" is an acceptable and appropriate synonym for "similar."  grin

Yeah, as if... Smiley

Sorry, but in that construction, the proper useage is as because it's being used to indicate correlation with a previous item as a example.

To extend it fully, your sentence could be reworded "For example, as mentioned above...."

But, you're right in that like is now so vernacular in non standard usages that it's become, like, you know, correct!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 07:29:56 PM »
Mike is right.  "Like" is wrong because it sounds wrong and The Ear of Fistful is the only authority.   cool
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 08:38:10 PM »
None of the above examples comes even close to the level of language butchery that is rap lyrics. The scary part is that the youngsters these days think it is "coo' " to sound like a toothless drunken highschool dropout on dope. It is one of the signs of the cultural bankruptsy produced by decades of leftist-multiculturalist indoctrination.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 04:11:07 AM »
Language is constantly evolving, and those who cling to the outmoded linguistic strictures promulgated by the writings of dead white males fail to appreciate and benfit from recent, vibrant, diverse additions to the vernacular.

I'se dun sed my piece, so I be goin' now . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 05:07:22 AM »
"I'se dun sed my piece, so I be goin' now . . ."

There's a linguistic evolutionary dead end if ever there were one...  cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.