Author Topic: please write a quick letter protesting anti Christian bigotry to huge radio show  (Read 1706 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
update, I talked to Dr Turi and he doesn't run his blog a young assistant does.
The assistant and I have come to an understanding, please write and tell them Dr Turi is a great man....thank you!

coast to coast am is a very popular show and a frequent guest has a very bigoted
blog about Christians (of course only Christians, not any other beliefs)
I am not asking for a flame war only polite letters asking for fairness as there are many reasons to attack every religion and you should either attack all or none.
here is the blog (see top one about predictions for April)
  http://www.myspace.com/drturi 

here are the addresses
george@coasttocoastam.com
tom@coasttocoastam.com
artbell@mindspring.com
ian@coasttocoastam.com
lisa@coasttocoastam.com
shawn@coasttocoastam.com
lex@coasttocoastam.com

and this is what I find questionable....
I can at this point say I actually "Hate the Church" and all the little brain dead "leave it to beaver" look alike families that wonder through on Sunday. "Born again stupid!" I don't do the Jesus thing... and don't recommend it to people. BUT "Chocolate Jesus" was really frigg'in cool, and got stopped by the brain dead Jesus morons.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
I don't see a problem with that. The level of sheer vitriol that came from those sorts about a freaking CHOCOLATE JESUS was frightening. It made me think of the reaction to the mohammed cartoons.

And I will not abide censorship of free speech from ANY group.

You're asking that a radio station's free speech be quieted, because they're ragging on a group that tried to stop someone else's free speech. Yeah, it's a bit insulting, but they're radio shock hosts, bottomfeeders. They talk like that about celebrities, anyone they're after.

Doesn't fly, IMO. If a religious group can't have a sense of humor, (it was a chocolate jesus! CHOCOLATE!)...they need some serious revision to be compatible with advancing civilization.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I wouldn't worry about what some kook "Astropsychologist has to say about anything on on a show full of alien abductees and people who believe lizard people rule the world.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

gunsmith

• friend
Censorship is State sponsored rules and regulations, for instance, I hardly ever go to church or read the Bible, that is not censorship at all that is free market.
I do not watch American Idle, is that also censorship?
I don't even know what the Choclate Jesus thing is and didn't know anyone was upset about it.
What I do not like is ONLY attacking Jesus and "leave it to Beaver" without also attacking the cartoon riots, attacking the way Bhuddist countries imprison tourist who smoke pot, pagans who sacrifice chickens, etc.
ONLY attacking Christians is just a cheap shot and writing a letter in protest is not censorship!!!
Why do lefties always cry censorship when some one disagrees with them?
Heloooo! the Dixie chicks music stinks, if I do not buy it how is that censorship?
I do not buy snoop dawg either but he doesn't whine about it.

Manedwolf, are you advocating censorship yourself? by your definition it certainly seems like it!
You're asking that a radio station's free speech be quieted
Really?? where do I do that? I am asking people to write a polite letter against bigotry, I am exercising free speech not stultifying it!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lennyjoe

• friend
They can talk all they want against Christianity.  They will get theirs in the end.  That's my belief and nothing they say can change it. 

gunsmith

• friend
Sgt Bob, I am not "worried" I just recieved an email from the hate filled blog asking that I support them being on the radio show, when I told them I do not like bigotry in any form from anti Islam to anti Christianity.

You may not listen to the show but it IS one of the biggest shows on the whole PLANET

all I'm asking is for some fairness, if you attack one religion then attack the others

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
That guy could have displayed the Chocolate Jesus in perfect safety if he had just had the stones to do it.

Don't blame offended people for exercising their right to non-violently complain for his lack of courage.  This is America, he could have done what he wanted.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
What?  Maybe I'm missing something, but WHY were some Christians upset about the Chocolate Jesus?  Was it because chocolate is edible?  Did the man not say of bread "This is my body" and of wine "This is my blood"? Is it 'cause the figure is anatomically correct?  Is not Man made in the image of God?

And now some other group is raging in the Christians who raged on the Chocolate Jesus?

Just more squabbling over who has the best invisible friend in the sky I think.

Odin give me strength.  grin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The level of sheer vitriol that came from those sorts about a freaking CHOCOLATE JESUS was frightening. It made me think of the reaction to the mohammed cartoons.

You're asking that a radio station's free speech be quieted, because they're ragging on a group that tried to stop someone else's free speech.

Manedwolf, I gotta hand it to you.  That is funny.   grin   But just to make sure; you are joking, right? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
It made me think of the reaction to the mohammed cartoons.

I had no idea that some one made a "Choclate Jesus" until now.

Gosh, I must have missed all the Christians rioting and killing people.

Oh btw Manedwolf it's Mohammed you are supposed to use a capital, you know...upper case.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends

and this is what I find questionable....
I can at this point say I actually "Hate the Church" and all the little brain dead "leave it to beaver" look alike families that wonder through on Sunday. "Born again stupid!" I don't do the Jesus thing... and don't recommend it to people. BUT "Chocolate Jesus" was really frigg'in cool, and got stopped by the brain dead Jesus morons.

While I would consider this to be somewhat offesnsive, it is honestly that hard to get seriously worked up about this because it is so poorly written and lacking in substance. 

I just went to his blog and expected him to be 17 or 18, based on the comment you quoted (no offense to the 17 or 18 year olds that post here) and was surprised that he was much older...and a doctor, of what?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I don't see a problem with that. The level of sheer vitriol that came from those sorts about a freaking CHOCOLATE JESUS was frightening. It made me think of the reaction to the mohammed cartoons.
Could you direct me to where the Southern Baptists rioted and killed scores of non-Christians in a rage over chocolate Jesus?  At least, you can demonstrate calls for chocolate-Jesus-guy's death by prominent members of clergy and heads of Christian states?

No?

What, again, was it that reminded you of the Mohammed cartoons?

Ahh, here we go.  Which city/county/state/federal gooberment threatened to step in and remove chocolate Jesus from public viewing or the future manufacture of chocolate Jesuses?

---

I must admit to this being the first I heard of chocolate Jesus.  How did I miss such a conflagration of violence and governmental action in oposition to it?*

----

I wouldn't worry too much about anally-probed alien abductee radio programming on CtC.  Yes, it is the most popular radio show on the planet.  I do suspect the demographic skews tot he left on the g bell curve and is less influential than, say, the blind, left-handed, lesbian dentist demographic.

* Perhaps, because the violence and government action never occurred and comparison of chocolate-Jesus-reactions to cartoon Mohammed reactions is, at best, an expression of ignorance.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Let the kooks speak!  If you try and stiffle them, the media brings attention to them, people like Rosie O'Donnel and Sean Penn support them and next thing we know the kooks are hosting some VH1 special and highschool kids are wearing t-shirts with their image on them.

I just want to know why some free speech is more free than others. You know if some part of the left had their way we wouldn't be able to talk about firearms.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
jfruser, I think Maned Wolf must be playing us.  He can't believe that stuff he said. 

Please.   undecided

Manedwolf

• friend
jfruser, I think Maned Wolf must be playing us.  He can't believe that stuff he said. 

Please.   undecided

I am mostly-kidding, yes. See how it got people riled up with a few choice words? Smiley

The real, serious point being that if the religiosity groups hadn't made a big fuss about it, if they'd just gone "ha ha chocolate jesus funny we don't care", the "artist" would have remained just one more anonymous...and failed attention whore hack.

Instead, his "work" has been elevated to CONTROVERSY STATUS...meaning he'll get lots of money and appear on talk shows.

The religious sorts done got played, and played good. The artist was likely hoping and praying (ahem) that they'd be offended and raise a fuss, for the free PR and controversy to bring the work into the public eye. And they obliged.

And everything that calls more attention to it just fuels the fire more.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Who objected to it, specifically?  I haven't heard much about it. 

I think sometimes the protestors WANT to draw attention to the sacrilege, rather than just stopping an art show, or whatever.  Or rather, they want to draw attention to the hostility or disrespect shown to their religion.  We could be cynical and conclude this is all about fund-raising.  Or it could be they feel such things will encourage other Christians to speak out against other forms of hostility they encounter.  Or, they want to point out the hypocrisy of the PC crowd. 

gunsmith

• friend
why is it so popular to also attack leave it to beaver?
great show with a great message, no one is shooting up dope, the kids are nice, no beatings or adultery.
I guess the writer wished he had a leave it to beaver family and is doing the sour grapes thing

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
MW:

I haven't been living in a cave recently and I attend church regularly. 

No chocolate-Jesus controversy to be found at church, though we do love both chocolate and Jesus, let there be no mistake.  Every Lenten evening service has been proceeded by pot luck dinners, to include homemade dessert made by grandmas*.

I guess I have to tune up the "Outrage-O-Meter."

Also, I am somewhat intrigued by the idea of a chocolate Jesus.

* Is there any dispute that grandmas can bake like its going outta style?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Who objected to it, specifically?  I haven't heard much about it. 

I think sometimes the protestors WANT to draw attention to the sacrilege, rather than just stopping an art show, or whatever.  Or rather, they want to draw attention to the hostility or disrespect shown to their religion.  We could be cynical and conclude this is all about fund-raising.  Or it could be they feel such things will encourage other Christians to speak out against other forms of hostility they encounter.  Or, they want to point out the hypocrisy of the PC crowd. 

A cardinal objected, plus there were death threats.
NEW YORK (AP) -- A planned Holy Week exhibition of a nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ was canceled Friday amid complaints from Catholics, including Cardinal Edward Egan.

The "My Sweet Lord" display was shut down by the hotel that houses the Lab Gallery in Manhattan, said Matt Semler, the gallery's creative director. Semler said he resigned after officials at the Roger Smith Hotel shut down the show.

The artwork was created from more than 200 pounds of milk chocolate and features Christ with his arms outstretched as if on an invisible cross. Unlike the typical religious portrayal of Christ, the artwork does not include a loincloth.

The 6-foot sculpture was the victim of "a strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing," Semler said. "They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions."

But word of the confectionary Christ infuriated Catholics, including Egan, who described it as "a sickening display." Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."

The hotel and the gallery were overrun Thursday with angry phone calls and e-mails. Semler said the calls included death threats over the work of artist Cosimo Cavallaro, who was described as disappointed by the decision to cancel the display.

"In this situation, the hotel couldn't continue to be supportive because of a fear for their own safety," Semler said.

Perd Hapley

• friend
If they say they got death threats, I'll take their word for it.  We heard the same thing about the Zumbo flap.  Heck, people even threaten The Bible Answer Man and his family, because he questions certain TV preachers.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Yup, even Christian Trejbal got a death threat.  Turns out to be a FedEx home start-up kit, but hey, he has Christian in his name and it got folks to look, didn't it?

Much ado about nothing.  For every X number of people who can take a joke, there are at least some that cannot, be it religion, political affliction, racial, whatever. 

I'm a pretty good Lutheran, as far as that goes. I only took it as far as the seminary, then I walked away before taking a call for a congregation and going that career path. I should be livid, right?  Nope.  Even I find the baby Jesus rectal appliance funny, and somewhere around here I've got a Pope on a Rope shower soap still in the original box. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wmenorr67

• friend
G98, I don't even want to imagine who would want or need such item.  But then again by posting this I guess I sort of did.  {shivers}
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Never said I used 'em - Just found 'em hilarious.  The Pope Soap on a Rope was a gift from somebody at the 92nd Bomb Wing who learned I was a rookie man of the cloth in a previous life. They thought it was funny that one would make such a wild change of course in the path of a lifetime.  Of course, they thought everything was funny as long as one person laughed. 

If some are offended at what I posted, let me state that I made a point of showing what I find funny, just so folks here know that we religious types can, and do, laugh at ourselves. 

Well, that, and my Lutheran Jihad attempts have resulted in abject failure.  Manedwolf can breathe easier at night, I guess.  It won't be me cramming religion down his throat. Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
Never said I used 'em - Just found 'em hilarious.  The Pope Soap on a Rope was a gift from somebody at the 92nd Bomb Wing who learned I was a rookie man of the cloth in a previous life. They thought it was funny that one would make such a wild change of course in the path of a lifetime.  Of course, they thought everything was funny as long as one person laughed. 

If some are offended at what I posted, let me state that I made a point of showing what I find funny, just so folks here know that we religious types can, and do, laugh at ourselves. 

Well, that, and my Lutheran Jihad attempts have resulted in abject failure.  Manedwolf can breathe easier at night, I guess.  It won't be me cramming religion down his throat. Wink

Nah, I'd always thought the only thing Lutherans would try to cram down your throat would be potluck of varying culinary skill. And jell-o desserts. Wink

Perd Hapley

• friend

Yeah, we should be able to laugh at ourselves.  And one expects Protestants to crack jokes about the Pope.    But if you believe that Jesus of Nazareth is Savior, Lord, God Incarnate, the One who was wounded for our transgressions and bruised for our iniquities, etc; why would you laugh at naked, chocolate Christs and so forth?  That seems very odd.  Laughing at such things only communicates that we don't really believe that religious stuff, either.  Not really.