Author Topic: please write a quick letter protesting anti Christian bigotry to huge radio show  (Read 1706 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Or that such things are so trivial as to be not given any real meaning. 

Like one ignores the yapping of a little dog.  By being annoyed you grant it a certain amount of respect and thus power.  By ignoring it or laughing at it you show it beneath your contempt.

I don't grant such things the power to annoy me.  Let the little insignificant dogs yap, I'm better than them.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Laughing at such things only communicates that we don't really believe that religious stuff, either.  Not really.

Far from it, Fistful.  One can transcend such trivialities and laugh at the parody offered.  I know I do, and I ain't the Dalai Lama, not even close.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How is it trivial to (symbolically) insert the "Baby Jesus" in one's rectum?  If He is God, such a thing cannot be trivial.  In a sense, yes, I laugh at the foolishness of such benighted people, and I don't lose sleep over it.  But I'm not giving anyone control over my life by being offended at blatantly offensive things.  I don't even know or care who these people are, and I'll forget all about them soon enough. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
It's no big deal, really. Carebear hit it on the head, they have no meaning or attached significance. People shove all sorts of things up their posteriors, they always have, and always will. Ask the average X-ray tech about it sometime, they keep the best films for their own collections and websites. For me, I'm not the evangelical or proselytizing type, chances are if they're inserting a baby Jesus doll into their nether regions, they're not particularly interested in the religious significance of it, and I certainly am not going to change their mind about it.  So they go their way, I go mine, and come Judgement Time, one of us is in for a surprise. Who gets the last laugh then?

It's not just me. I don't get wrapped around the axle over figurines/icons/relics, nor do most Lutherans.  I understand Catholics do, but as far as the Brand-X side of the house, our Catechism doesn't assign a whole lot of value to them, and actually warns of the dangers of idolatry.  That's why you won't see too many altars at Lutheran churches with statues of Christ on the Cross. We don't need them, (we've all read the book, we know the story and how it ends, really!) they're not a means to grace, nor are they to be treated as though God were present in them. At best, icons and figurines *may* serve as a reminder to pray. They could also be treated as art, but offer no intrinsic promise therein. Other religions venerate icons, and they're more than welcome to do so. But to avoid crossing the line between veneration and idolatry, my particular after-church coffee-drinking and cookie-eating brand of religion saves themselves the hassle and just avoids it, not to the point of iconoclasm (ala', the Taliban defacing the Buddhas of Bamyan), but they make it well known that such things have little real value in the spiritual sense.   Now, if somebody comes at me brandishing a baby Jesus buttplug with the intent of inserting it into my personal orifice, I'd be praying, too, and not for myself...

(Man, that's part of my pre-USAF history I'd almost forgotten.  It came back to the frontal lobes pretty doggone quickly!)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
and people who believe lizard people rule the world.

Sgt, everyone knows the Greys run the world and the Reptillians handle transport...please get your facts straight! grin
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
That's why you won't see too many altars at Lutheran churches with statues of Christ on the Cross.

That's funny.  I'm not Lutheran, but I listen to the local MO Synod seminary radio station quite a bit.  They insist on the crucifix, rather than the empty cross.  Something about keeping things "Christ-centered and cross-focused."

I don't understand what my point of view could possibly have to do with venerating icons or statues.  I'm not venerating them, I'm just understanding the disrespect that is intended.  I don't obsess over it, but I don't laugh at it, either. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife