Author Topic: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth  (Read 14165 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
I hope this is satire, but who can tell, given the buffoon who currently inhabits the White House?

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODA4ZDQ0ODNiMGJkZTY2OWYyY2YzMmE2NTdhZThmMDE=

Diplomatic jaws dropped across the continent yesterday when it was revealed that U.S. President Barack Obama had, once again, fumbled a routine protocal of international statecraft: finding the right gift for a foreign leader or head of state. In a private ceremony with Queen Elizabeth, Her Royal Highness bequeathed to the Obamas one of the earliest known copies of William Shakespeare's Henry V. She also presented him with the framed orginal sheet music of John Newton's "Amazing Grace." To the Obama daughters, the Queen gave a dollhouse-sized replica of Windsor Castle with a functioning train station in the year of the compound. They also received a prize Shetland pony. Mrs. Obama was given a ruby ring commissioned and worn by Queen Victoria.

The Obamas, unfortunately, did not seem prepared for the occasion despite the row set off by the exchange of gifts between Prime Minister Brown and the U.S. President barely a month ago.  Mr. Obama rather unceremoniously handed the Queen a shopping bag from the Duty Free shop at Heathrow airport. It contained a signed paperback copy of Dreams of My Father, purchased at the WH Smith shop at the airport, a bottle of Johnny Walker Scotch (black label), a CD of the Swedish band ABBA's greatest hits (still in shrink wrap with a 2-for-1 sticker on it) and ten bags of M&Ms with the presidential seal on them.

The Queen responded in a rather flat: "How delightful."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
01/04/09

'lulz'   :police:
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
Surely, that is an April Fool's joke. 

I can't imagine they would bother giving President Obama all those gifts.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:13:43 PM »
I hope this is satire, but who can tell, given the buffoon who currently inhabits the White House?
The fact that you can't be 100% sure it's an April Fool's joke is a sad commentary on the current White House occupant.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:04:41 PM »
Given his ego, I wouldn't doubt that he gave someone a signed copy of his "book."
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
This is not a Joke

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/her-majestys-royal-ipod/

LONDON—Finally! An answer to the question that everyone has been dying to know, especially after the debacle of the gift exchange last month when the Obama’s gave British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a bunch of DVDs and proceeded to get hammered for bad gift-giving by the British press: What did the Obamas give to Queen Elizabeth II Wednesday when they arrived at Buckingham Palace?

An iPod.

Seriously. An Obama aide reports that Mr. Obama gave the queen an iPod loaded with video and photos of her 2007 trip to the United States, as well as other songs and accessories, and a rare songbook signed by Richard Rodgers, of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame.

According to reports, the queen gave the Obamas a silver framed signed photograph — a gift she gives to all visiting dignitaries.

No word yet on whether the songbook included the Rodgers and Hammerstein “Sound of Music” favorite, “My Favorite Things,” or whether the book will become one of the Queen’s favorite things.

But one thing is certain. That iPod better have some good songs on there, because if past is prologue, the British papers will be examining this gift for a while.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:44:24 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »
While I personally couldn't care less about the content, I'd take the loaded ipod and rare, autographed songbook.  What's he supposed to do, squat and poop a golden egg?

"A silver framed signed photograph - a gift she gives to all visiting dignitaries."  Considering she's been queen for about 100 years and probably had visits from tens of thousands of dignitaries, that no longer carries much originality or thought and certainly doesn't warrant the indignation of the press or royal subjects over Obama's exchange.
For entertainment purposes only.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
Somehow I don't see the Queen wearing earbuds.

Is it OK to feel embarrassed now?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:31:09 PM »
You know, I was smiling / chuckling about the original couple of posts, nice joke.  If that ipod article is true I AM TRULY EMBARRASSED!!  Boy do I hope it's a joke.

Tim

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »
Harold, that's pretty classy. :D

The duke looks like he just got kicked in the nuts.
For entertainment purposes only.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
Its not a joke - he gave her an ipod:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gMuowwCx36147QhpKVYx2hdxxvsw

That said, your President did make me laugh a great deal earlier today.

Basically, he and our PM went outside No. 10 for a walkabout amongst the Press and assorted flunkies (who remain gloriously enraptured about how tolerant your country (black chap as president, elected 2008) is compared to ours (jewish chap (1868) and woman (1979) as PM).  Obama then went to go back inside and shook the hand of the delighted DPG police officer on the door of No.10.  Gordon then, not to be outdone, said something to the DPG officer who further extended his hand for the PM to shake it.  The PM then walked inside, leaving the DPG officer with his hand out, blatantly un-shook, in front of the international press corps.  Live on TV. 

I laughed a great deal.

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »
Deep in the bowels of DoS is a group of nerds who exist only for the purpose of implementing US diplomatic protocol.  What is happening over the last few weeks speaks of the president's attitude toward historic allies. 

CD's and now the IPOD were implemented over the recommendation of DoS.  --It shows Obama is insufferably arrogant, or
--he is deliberately insulting the Brits

If the bureau of protocol actually recommended or OK'd Obama's gift selection we have to assume the bureau is staffed with Obama think-alikes.

In any case and for whatever the reason Obama is flipping is famed finger in the face of the Brits.  Hillary's prestige may well be collateral damage.

The man is an embarrassment but I suspect I'd better get use to it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »
Comment from an English friend:

if thats now the line from the White House then fair dues.

So the next time the US goes to war perhaps we should refer the Pentagon to the US's latest allie....Kenya. I am sure the USMC and Army Rangers would much prefer to go into battle with Kenya's crack troops rather than the SAS.
Britain sent troops to Korea, Bosnia,Kosova, Iraq and Afghanistan in support of the US.But today British troops pulled out of Iraq: we lost 179 of our lads there.
I am happy for British soldiers to stay at home in future rather than be pawns in US military adventurism of either the Republican or Democrat persuasion.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »
If the bureau of protocol actually recommended or OK'd Obama's gift selection we have to assume the bureau is staffed with Obama think-alikes.
At the rate appointments are going, I doubt State has been infiltrated with Obamatrons much below Hillary.

In any case and for whatever the reason Obama is flipping is famed finger in the face of the Brits.  Hillary's prestige may well be collateral damage.
There does seem to be a developing pattern of *disrespect* for the Brits. I wonder if it's intended.

The man is an embarrassment but I suspect I'd better get use to it.
Indeed. I personally do not like to utter disrespectful words about our President; but that standard is already being sorely challenged.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
I don't think any disrespect for/of the British was intended. I think we are simply seeing the natural and inevitable result of electing trash to the office of the Presidency.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »
We have people in the State Department who've made careers out of picking just the right gift for foreign dignitaries.  The fact that Obama doesn't consult with them is informative.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
So the next time the US goes to war perhaps we should refer the Pentagon to the US's latest allie....Kenya. I am sure the USMC and Army Rangers would much prefer to go into battle with Kenya's crack troops rather than the SAS.

Uh.  I can't say that I blame them.  This Ranger would be more than willing to fly over at taxpayer expense and attempt to heal the rift caused by Mr. Smart Diplomacy.  Give me a $100,000 beer & whiskey expense account and I might get 'er on the mend. 

After I have personally bought a drink for and toasted every sergeant major & colour sergeant in the Brit army, and kicked Rahm Emanuel in the jimmy, we might be back on track.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
As for weird/insulting gifts: didn't Truman, Roosevelt, or Wilson give the British royals, on their first visit to American soil ever/since independence, a dinner of hot dogs at the White House?
"Excuse me, what animal is this made of?"
"Your guess is as good as mine, your highness."   :laugh:

I think Obama's trying to be... I dunno. Trendy or something. I still don't get why some people care more about him giving asinine gifts and care less about trillion-dollar bailouts.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 01:32:45 AM »
He should have presented her a sheaf of toxic assets important looking papers.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 02:39:40 AM »
Its not a joke - he gave her an ipod:

I'm quite sure you're just quoting an April Fool's day joke.  No one could possibly be that stupid, twice. 

Uh, right?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 03:06:41 AM »
I'll be honest: I don't think we should be suprised at any level of incompetence out of this administration...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 03:38:47 AM »

A scant knowledge of history and a complete lack of any appreciation of what history he knows are what leads to gaffes like this.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »
I'm quite sure you're just quoting an April Fool's day joke.  No one could possibly be that stupid, twice. 

Uh, right?

No.

"Oklahoma!"

"If I Loved You," Jan Clayton, "Carousel"

"You'll Never Walk Alone," Jan Clayton, "Carousel"

"There's No Business Like Show Business," Ethel Merman, "Annie Get Your Gun"

"Once in Love with Amy (Where's Charley?)," Ray Bolger

"Some Enchanted Evening," "South Pacific"

"Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," Carol Channing, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"

"Getting to Know You," Gertrude Lawrence, "The King and I"

"Shall We Dance?" Gertrude Lawrence, "The King and I"

"I Could Have Danced All Night," Julie Andrews, "My Fair Lady"

"I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face," Rex Harrison, "My Fair Lady"

"The Party's Over (Bells Are Ringing)," Judy Holliday

"Maria," "West Side Story"

"Tonight," "West Side Story"

"Seventy Six Trombones," "The Music Man"

"Everything's Coming up Roses," Ethel Merman, "Gypsy"

"The Sound of Music"

"Try to Remember," Jerry Orbach, "The Fantasticks"

"Camelot," Richard Burton

"If Ever I Would Leave You," Robert Goulet, "Camelot"

"Hello, Dolly!" Carol Channing

"If I Were a Rich Man," Zero Mostel, "Fiddler on the Roof"

"People," Barbra Streisand, "Funny Girl"

"On a Clear Day (You Can See Forever)," John Cullum

"The Impossible Dream," Richard Kiley, "Man of La Mancha"

"Mame," Charles Braswell

"Cabaret," Liza Minnelli

"Aquarius, Ronald Dyson, "Hair'

"Send in the Clowns," Judy Collins, "A Little Night Music"

"All That Jazz," Chita Rivera, "Chicago"

"One," "A Chorus Line"

"Tomorrow," Andrea McArdle, "Annie"

"Don't Cry for Me Argentina," Patti LuPone, "Evita"

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going," Jennifer Holliday, "Dreamgirls"

"Memory," Elaine Paige, "Cats"

"The Best of Times," George Hearn, "La Cage Aux Folles"

"I Dreamed a Dream," Aretha Franklin, "Les Miserables"

"The Music of the Night," Michael Crawford, "The Phantom of the Opera"

"As If We Never Said Goodbye," Elaine Paige, "Sunset Blvd."

"Seasons of Love," "Rent"
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 08:22:09 AM »
The truly sad thing is that this demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of who the gifts are to.  It's not something "for Gordon" or "Elizabeth".  It's a gift to the people of the United Kingdom and the monarchy respectively. 

It's amateur hour at the White House, and it will go down in the archives and books as such.  Obama (or more likely, his staff) has to be refusing to consult with State because the career folks in Foggy Bottom wouldn't let him or Clinton screw up this badly this many times.