Author Topic: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth  (Read 14163 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
No.

"Oklahoma!"

"If I Loved You," Jan Clayton, "Carousel"

"You'll Never Walk Alone," Jan Clayton, "Carousel"

"There's No Business Like Show Business," Ethel Merman, "Annie Get Your Gun"

<snip>
Well, it could have been worse . . . just imagine if he'd chosen songs like

"The Lady is a Tramp" recorded by Frank Sinatra and others

"Witchy Woman" by the Eagles

"Speak of the Devil" by Kevin Fowler

And, of course . . .

"The Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
So, is an IPOD better or worse than:
"...a shopping bag from the Duty Free shop at Heathrow airport. It contained a signed paperback copy of Dreams of My Father, purchased at the WH Smith shop at the airport, a bottle of Johnny Walker Scotch (black label), a CD of the Swedish band ABBA's greatest hits (still in shrink wrap with a 2-for-1 sticker on it) and ten bags of M&Ms with the presidential seal on them."

I'm not so sure the satire wasn't higher class than the reality.

Obama: Beyond Parody.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ronnyreagan

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
I think the rare signed songbook by Richard Rogers is unique, thoughtful, and appropriate. So what if he threw in an ipod to go with it?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »
1. Ronny may be right on this one.

2. As for his signature, there is never too much outrage.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

crt360

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
I bet she'd have more fun with a case of Lone Star and a commemorative "Defenders of the Alamo" limited edition Bowie knife, complete with laser-engraved, hardwood veneer presentation box and certificate of authenticity.  That's what I'm taking when I get the invite.
For entertainment purposes only.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
No.

Are you ****ing ******* kidding me?   

After fumbling the first diplomatic exchange with the UK, he's double downing by giving the queen regnant of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.   That's 16 independent states.  And that's excluding her roles as Head of the Commonwealth, Supreme Governor of the Church of England, Duke of Normandy, Lord of Mann, and Paramount Chief of Fiji. 

What's next?  Taking a friggin leak on all other members of the G20? 

You are argue, "it's just a gift, it doesn't mean nothing.  Why should we be giving expensive gifts to foreigners during a depression?"   Because it's diplomacy.   Good diplomatic relationships between countries means more trade, more tourism, more joint economic ventures, etc.  I'm not saying we have to hand out 50 lb gold bars, along with the Hope diamond for colour.   There are skilled professionals at State.  Listen to them, or fire them and hire someone with above room temperature IQ.  It's the friggin thought that counts.  Making us a laughing stock of the world does not help our broken and bankrupt global image at the moment.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »
Are you ****ing ******* kidding me?   

After fumbling the first diplomatic exchange with the UK, he's double downing by giving the queen regnant of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.   That's 16 independent states.  And that's excluding her roles as Head of the Commonwealth, Supreme Governor of the Church of England, Duke of Normandy, Lord of Mann, and Paramount Chief of Fiji. 

What's next?  Taking a friggin leak on all other members of the G20? 

You are argue, "it's just a gift, it doesn't mean nothing.  Why should we be giving expensive gifts to foreigners during a depression?"   Because it's diplomacy.   Good diplomatic relationships between countries means more trade, more tourism, more joint economic ventures, etc.  I'm not saying we have to hand out 50 lb gold bars, along with the Hope diamond for colour.   There are skilled professionals at State.  Listen to them, or fire them and hire someone with above room temperature IQ.  It's the friggin thought that counts.  Making us a laughing stock of the world does not help our broken and bankrupt global image at the moment.

Things like this just make me smile in memory of all the people who claimed Bush was an idiot...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
Things like this just make me smile in memory of all the people who claimed Bush was an idiot...

Yup.  I've been enjoying these gaffs for the exact same reason.  :D

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »
No.

Watch out.....here comes the War of 1812 Pt. 2.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1888962,00.html

The rules are set in stone, and so the eagerly watching British media sputtered when the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, briefly put her hand on the back of Queen Elizabeth II as the two chatted at a reception. Etiquette is quite stern about this ("Whatever you do, don't touch the Queen!"). In 2000 John Howard, then Prime Minister of Australia, got plenty of criticism for apparently putting his arm around the Queen to direct her through a crowd. He denied actually touching her, but photographs suggest that he came quite close. (Another former Australian Prime Minister did put his hand on the Queen in a similar circumstance and was later branded "the Lizard of Oz.")

Of course, there are corollaries to this. One must certainly touch the Queen if the monarch offers her hand (though you should return this not with a firm handshake but just a touch). On Wednesday, Michelle Obama put her hand on the Queen only after the Queen had placed her own hand on the First Lady's back as part of their conversation. So there is room for theological argument as to whether the American reciprocity of touch was allowable given the social dynamics of the situation. (Less explicable was when President George W. Bush winked at the Queen.) Still, the sight of anyone apparently touching the Queen with anything more than a limp handshake is enough to send the British (or traditionalists in the old Commonwealth) twittering. (See pictures of the Obamas' travels in Europe.)

Another defense for Michelle Obama, of course, is that she is not a subject of the Queen. (Australians, despite referendums attempting to turn themselves into a republic, still recognize the Queen as their head of state.) The First Lady of the United States is not required to curtsey before her or any other crowned head. In any case, the touch lasted just a second or two, and the Queen did not seem particularly perturbed — though she appeared slightly surprised as she drew away. (See how Barack Obama is connected to the Queen via TIME's Person of the Year.)

So where does this rule about not touching the Queen come from? The sovereigns of England and France at some point in their nations' long histories claimed a divine right to rule, a right often amplified by titles bestowed by the Pope in Rome. (The Queen, in fact, still has the title Defender of the Faith, an honor given to Henry VIII before he broke with the Catholic Church and established the Church of England.) That touch of holiness once gave the occupant of the throne the supposed ability to cure certain diseases — most famously, scrofula, a terrible skin ailment that was called "the king's evil." Thus, the miraculous contact had to be conserved. And so, whether a touch or a nod or a gaze, royal favor, like that of God, is not a subject's on demand; it is dispensed by kingly prerogative.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »
Most of us are insulted by these gifts becaue most of us are people of usefulness -- not wasteful spenders, squandering hard work on frills like a Sams club bundle of DVDs or another iPod.

The Obama group selected these gifts because these are the gifts Obama voters want for themselves.  OMGZANIPODZ, GIMME.  They are just trying to connect with their base and could careless about the Queen.  They (think) that they don't want/need her.

I am just guessing this because of the large number of people on this board that don't even have a TV.  iPods are useless dillys made for the pop culture, of which most people here do not participate.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJtIss7xso

a bowing protocol comparison

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

ronnyreagan

Re: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth (Obama Derangement Syndrome)
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
Most of us are insulted by these gifts becaue most of us are people of usefulness -- not wasteful spenders, squandering hard work on frills like a Sams club bundle of DVDs or another iPod.

The gifts exchanged by these heads of state are some of the most useless frills there are. They are all frivolous baubles. Obama's gift to the Queen was just as useless as most of the other gifts he has received and will receive. The DVDs were a bad gift, so I can understand the scrutiny on this - but he did a fine job in this case and the only people who could truly but outraged/embarrassed/insulted over this either don't know the full story, are willfully ignoring the full story so they can manufacture some outrage, or are completely delusional with hatred for the president.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
The gifts exchanged by these heads of state are some of the most useless frills there are. They are all frivolous baubles. Obama's gift to the Queen was just as useless as most of the other gifts he has received and will receive. The DVDs were a bad gift, so I can understand the scrutiny on this - but he did a fine job in this case and the only people who could truly but outraged/embarrassed/insulted over this either don't know the full story, are willfully ignoring the full story so they can manufacture some outrage, or are completely delusional with hatred for the president.

<eyebrow raise>

He gave the queen a freaking iPod.

The man would have had to over-rule the people in state whose job it is to pick gifts of state. We have professional diplomats for such things. A gift to the queen is not a personal gift when you represent another country.

This is an example of the hubris and utter ineptitude of this man.

The fact that he did it again after the DVD fiasco indicates that he is unable to learn, as well.

Gifts of state may be trivialities, but diplomacy is made up of trivialities. Our president either cannot grasp that or is deliberately insulting our closest ally.

In all such circumstances, I never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ronnyreagan

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
He gave the queen a freaking iPod.

Yes he did. He gave the queen an iPod loaded with video of her past visits to the US and Broadway musicals to accompany the rare signed songbook by Richard Rogers that he also gave her. Ignoring the fact that a rare signed songbook by Richard Rogers is a fine gift (and also has special meaning to the queen), it also has been reported that she asked for the iPod.

So, I stand by the assertion that for anyone to truly be outraged/embarrassed/insulted over this they either don't know the full story, are willfully ignoring the full story so they can manufacture some outrage, or are completely delusional with hatred for the president.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:36:52 PM by ronnyreagan »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
it also has been reported that she asked for the iPod.

Citations?

ronnyreagan

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »
Citations?

The article I linked cites this.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »
The article I linked cites this.

So, if I link you to Worldnet daily about Obama's birth certificate, would you take that as a good source?

ronnyreagan

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
So, if I link you to Worldnet daily about Obama's birth certificate, would you take that as a good source?
It depends what they're claiming about Obama's birth certificate, but probably not.
What's your point? You don't believe the rather unremarkable claim that the queen asked for a video iPod?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
It depends what they're claiming about Obama's birth certificate, but probably not.
What's your point? You don't believe the rather unremarkable claim that the queen asked for a video iPod?

When a blog and "Media Matters" are the only ones making that claim, yes I doubt it.

Secondly, when the queen can have any number of people go purchase her an iPod, like she did in 2005, I find it odd she would request it from a head of state.

If she asked her grandchildren for one, it would be unremarkable. Asking the President of the United States: "Oh, and could you bring one of those lovely iPods with you. Be a good chap and stock it with your speeches, too" seems a bit far-fetched.

When "sources in the white house" are the only citations in the article from a left-wing organization, I am skeptical.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
I am just guessing this because of the large number of people on this board that don't even have a TV.  iPods are useless dillys made for the pop culture, of which most people here do not participate.

Huh? Given how many people on here talk about Firefly and other TV shows, claiming a large segment of the board doesn't own a tv seems rather silly. An Ipod is a storage device that does a fairly good job of holding music. I apologize for "participating in pop culture" (whatever the hell that means); shall I try to find a Walkman or do I need to just wait til I get home to listen to the Victrola before I can escape your scorn and condemnation?   :rolleyes:

Ronny: seriously dude, Obama's a big boy. You don't need to spew so much irrational vitriol trying to defend him from all of us mean ole conservatives. Again,  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »
Wonder if Obama can puke on the Japanese prime minister next?  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »
Wonder if Obama can puke on the Japanese prime minister next?  =D

I'd pay to see him do that to the Chinese PM.  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »
Hmm... one more question.

Given the whole DVD coding problem with the gift for the PM, does anyone know if the iPod charger is compatible with UK outlets?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
If not, I've got a voltage adapter I'd be willing to trade for some Longbow or Woodpecker cider...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"