Author Topic: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth  (Read 14166 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Obama's Gift To Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »
Scrumpy Jack!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrumpy_Jack

My wife ordered some for me as a present after I got back from Iraq; I had been blown away during our stops in Shannon coming and going. Got the exchange rate backwards and ended up paying like $10 a can.  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
Ipods charge off of the USB bus
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »

iPods are useless dillys made for the pop culture, of which most people here do not participate.

While I don't have an iPod, I do have another brand of small portable MP3 player and would have to respectfully, completely disagree with your assertion that it is a useless dilly made for the pop culture.  I use mine for listening to music, lectures, and sometimes the radio, while walking, running, or doing other types of exercise that require little mental effort.  It's much more useful than my black and white 12" TV with homemade antenna.  (whadayaknow, I've got a TV, too =))

Unless I blinked and this turned into the armed polite minimalist caveman survivors society, I going to guess that most people here, who seem to like guns, knives, tools, cars, computers, and most other mechanical and/or electronic gadgetry would appreciate the usefulness of such a compact device that can record, store and play a large amount of data.
For entertainment purposes only.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2009, 04:31:15 PM »
While I don't have an iPod, I do have another brand of small portable MP3 player and would have to respectfully, completely disagree with your assertion that it is a useless dilly made for the pop culture.  I use mine for listening to music, lectures, and sometimes the radio, while walking, running, or doing other types of exercise that require little mental effort.  It's much more useful than my black and white 12" TV with homemade antenna.  (whadayaknow, I've got a TV, too =))

Unless I blinked and this turned into the armed polite minimalist caveman survivors society, I going to guess that most people here, who seem to like guns, knives, tools, cars, computers, and most other mechanical and/or electronic gadgetry would appreciate the usefulness of such a compact device that can record, store and play a large amount of data.

iPod's are proprietary, however.  Everything stored on one has to be converted to Apple's audio format.

MP3 players, on the other hand... much more useful.  Much more portable with their data format, too.  Which is probably why you have one instead of an iPod.

I'd bet that the ratio of iPod to non-iPod players on this board is much more strongly in favor of non-Apple players than the rest of the "pop culture" referenced by FTA84.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
That is incorrect AZ. You can store normal mp3's on Ipods. You just can't buy em from the stupid Itunes store.

For the record, I don't actually like Ipods that much, and if I were purchasing new I'd get something else. But my family gave me one when I was in Iraq, so I'll live with what I got instead of buying a new one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:37:15 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
I broke my pop culture dilly. Now I have an iPhone. Am I counterculture now?  :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »
I have a 5Gb HCT MP3 player.  I've never considered myself to be part of pop culture, honestly.

It's a tiny little thing, but I love it. It's great for road-trip music when plugged into the truck's CD-input jack, listening with headphones while the wife's trying to sleep, etc. I've even plugged it into my little vacuum tube amp in the office, and let it drive big floor-standing speakers.  I don't use the included iPod docking station, because I already have an MP3 player, but if I did have an iPod...

I've talked my buddy into getting one of the same HMS-100 iPod docking bay and vacuum tube amplifier combinations, and his iPod is now driving large speakers (Bowers & Wilkins) in his living room.

My wife has an RCA Lyra MP3 player that she uses at work every day.  We use the Lyra's 2Gb SD card to load up music from the home library, and off she goes.

Pop culture?  Once again, overly broad brush strokes, revisited:

iPods are useless dillys made for the pop culture, of which most people here do not participate.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2009, 05:03:10 PM »
FTR, I despise iPods and the associated software, iTunes.

Non-proprietary mp3 player, OTOH, are terrific, when the machine recognizes it as just another USB drive.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »
I'd bet that the ratio of iPod to non-iPod players on this board is much more strongly in favor of non-Apple players than the rest of the "pop culture" referenced by FTA84.

This was more my reference. I expect most people don't have an iPod on this board but a more cost effective mp3 player for jogging or the like.

I don't understand the iPod craze myself, as if walking to work, paying my bills, and sitting on the back patio needs to be set to music.  I have something like an iPod, my cellphone has MP3s on it.  I use it infrequently.

Of course, I don't understand myspace, youtube, facebook, twitter and wikipedia so it probably doesn't count for much.

Huh? Given how many people on here talk about Firefly and other TV shows, claiming a large segment of the board doesn't own a tv seems rather silly.

I never said a large percentage of the board, I said a large number.  The large here refers to the percentage of people on the board that do not own a TV vs. the percentage seen in the usual population.

Edit: And though I didn't say it clearly the second time (note the first time I said new iPod) is why people with a perfectly good iPod with enough space, run out to buy the newest iPod just to show their friends.  Amusing thing is, usually the friends have gone out and purchased the same iPod previously that day.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:59:13 PM by FTA84 »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
I have a Sansa Fuze 4GB w/ a 4GB external micro-SD chip.....I have my entire CD collection, a few audiobooks, a few photos, and much of the last year of GunTalk and Downrange Radio on it....and still have room.....

...with a FM adaptor (my old truck's radio doesn't have a plug-in for it), it makes long drives and bad weather a lot easier to endure....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
...with a FM adaptor (my old truck's radio doesn't have a plug-in for it), it makes long drives and bad weather a lot easier to endure....
Does your truck have a tape deck? If so, this is available at most Walmarts:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-G2G300-Phillips-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B0009ZDKUI

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
Does your truck have a tape deck? If so, this is available at most Walmarts:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-G2G300-Phillips-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B0009ZDKUI

My truck's not that old....I have a 6-disc CD player/AM/FM radio....it just doesn't have an outlet where I can plug in a MP3 player....hence the FM transmitter/adaptor....it broadcasts on a frequency that my FM radio picks up & plays through the truck speakers...

Here it is.... http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Universal-Transmitter-Charger-Players/dp/B000JV9NL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238812714&sr=1-2
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2009, 11:30:07 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

ronnyreagan

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
Ronny: seriously dude, Obama's a big boy. You don't need to spew so much irrational vitriol trying to defend him from all of us mean ole conservatives.
Irrational vitriol? I wasn't the one calling the president trash and claiming this was an embarrassment to our country or proof of his ineptitude.
If he actually messed this up I would feel no need to defend him. I see nothing wrong with correcting people when they are trying to make a big deal out of an "incident" that they obviously didn't know the details of and were absolutely wrong about. It's just as bad as when people were irrational with hatred for Bush and couldn't admit it when he didn't screw up.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/